Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are rockets and flak cannons going to dominate, just like every other FPS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are rockets and flak cannons going to dominate, just like every other FPS?

Or any other large area-of-effect weapon, for that matter. If dodge jump's out then you have no defense against these kinds of weapons. Regular dodge isn't enough to get you out of the area of explosion. They could slow down the speed of the rockets but there's no info on any of this kind of balancing. Even in the last irc chat they made it a point not to give any info about them other that they do 100 damage with a direct hit. And slowing down the secondary fire of flak cannons wouldn't really make sense.

Regular dodge isn't enough to get you out of the area of explosion.
    Try playing UT99, and saying that again.

Comment

So, rockets and flak should be totally nerfed so everyone with a sniper or minigun can own you? Or make every weapon so balanced, that it doesn't matter which weapon you use, as every one is equally useful and effective?

I really hope that rockets are fast and lethal. I also hope flak devastated on close range. That's because otherwise it's going to be another hitscan/miniminimini fest.

When UT99 came out, everyone whined about flak and 6 rockets, but eventually minigun and sniper dominated the whole game and flak became almost useless. Area effect guns really have to be efficient, or otherwise players with really good aim and a hitscan weapon are more or less unstoppable.

Comment

shock > all

Comment

**l-_-l considers UT2K4...**

yes... shock > all

but in original... enforcers > all

Comment

Pulse Rifle and Rocket Launcher have almost same chances at close range: depending on player style and situation (i think rocket is couter-pulse gun weapon)

They could slow down the speed of the rockets
            Sorry, already done

Comment

Originally posted by DarkSideofOZ View Post
              shock > all
              One dude told me once that while rox and flak are spatial spam, shock with it's absurd ROF is temporal spam. Hmm...

Comment

What is spamming combos around a corner?

Comment

Actually, if we try to construct a theory about what makes deathmatch / weapons fun, the trick is to boost underpowered weapons, not to nerf the dominating ones. This is really rarely understood by people complaining about some weapon being too powerful. Like, if rockets and flak are really powerful and can be exploited, while other weapons are rather dull and not really effective in any situation, then other weapons need some exploits as well. If you would just slow down rockets, nerf their damage and make flak totally inaccurate and slow, that would only make the game boring.

I think UT has done this right, both in UT99 and UT2k4. Almost every weapon has a situation, where it's really lethal, but only if you know how to use it. Every weapon has some kind of "unfair exploit". Like biogun, rather useless in normal combat situation, but if you have time to charge it, and know where your enemy is coming from, you can kill a fully stacked player with one shot. The trick is to make a paper/rock/scissors balance to weapons, not to make every weapon weak and "balanced". In UT99 and UT2k4, dedicated use of any weapon had some counterbalance for it. Like in UT99, minigun was ridiculously powerful out in the open, but quickly became useless, if you just kept running away from the miniguy and spamming 6rl / shock combos to corners behind you.

Comment

I can get out of the way of rockets and flaks, it's easy

Comment

quote :They could slow down the speed of the rockets

Like the other guy said already done, so much that i cant beleive they're still flying without wings loll, it's to a no fun point "a rocket should have rocket speed i say"

EDIT: i had a glimpse of the redeemer in a vid and it's totally cool the way it unfolds before the launch

Comment

Rocket is a way of life

Comment

Originally posted by DarkSideofOZ View Post
                          shock > all

Flak Cannon > ALL WEAPONS ON ANY GAME

Comment

The videos we have shown make the rockets far more cumbersome than they were in UT2k3. You should still be able to dodge them. However, that's half the point. Epic is trying to make 1on1 combat more offensive than defensive like it was in UT2k4. Kill them first, it's as simple as that.

Comment

Rockets wasn't directly under powered in 2k4, just a bit dull. Hope they will have more bounce in UT3.

Comment

Working...
                              X