Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A solution that should make everyone happy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A solution that should make everyone happy?

We know Epic have implemented a material system based solution to make skins more visible based on distance. Some people say "it still isn't enough".

I think that because it is based on distance, and the people who have judged them to be not enough always expect the skins to be bright, even in close quarters, that's where the problem lies. Now I don't expect or even want Epic to change what they have, because it seems like a nice solution. But wouldn't a server setting be a good solution, then people can set it to "kick in" at the distance they prefer, or even "always on".

I get the impression that they wouldn't be as ugly as what is in UTComp, so it just makes sense to at least give us the option. And if Epic doesn't want to do it, then this sounds to me like a good idea for a user made competitive mod.

Please note that I don't represent those who are pushing for brightskins, I just want to offer ideas to make sure since it most likely WILL be done by someone anyway, that it will be done right.

That sounds like a great idea, a server setting of when it kicks in or even just the option to have it always on. Or even making it a clientside option.

Comment

No, no clientside. As if it isn't bad enough that we have people cranking details down to get detail advantages.

Comment

My God that's brilliant. No client side brightskins... Thank the Lord and let us all hope and pray this is implemented.

Bersy, do you post at prou at all? If not, would you mind if I let people discuss your idea?

Comment

Hey, I do that! In reality it dosen't do much of anything, I play just as good with them up as I do down. Force of habit I guess.

Comment

I don't post there no Modulus. Of course I encourage it..

Martinblank: foliage and stuff like that has a huge effect.

Comment

JFK's shooter can tell you all about client side foliage.

Comment

lol krill..

Comment

Sorry Bersy, it makes too much sense, most would never go for it

Comment

What I fail to understand is why the "competative" community needs so much stuff to make it fair.
                    I never have any problem seeing enemies at the other end of the map without such things as bright skins.

Do competative players just have bad eye sight or do they just whine like 8 year olds (or Xbox live players) making any excuse for getting fragged?

Comment

I think their eyes are shot from squinting at a low Hz CRTs for hours on end.

Or they just want a balance for the "Matrix" skin, I wish everyone that uses that skin would be insta-banned from all servers everywhere... And the guy that make the skin should be forced to live in a room painted black for a week.

Comment

Very Good idea

Comment

Originally posted by Fyrburn View Post
                          What I fail to understand is why the "competative" community needs so much stuff to make it fair.
                          I never have any problem seeing enemies at the other end of the map without such things as bright skins.

Do competative players just have bad eye sight or do they just ***** and whine like 8 year olds making any excuse for getting fragged?
                          It is partially due to variances in map colors. The vast majority of the competitive community play UT for it's speed. Having things blend in and allow sneaking or hiding takes away from that. Most people in the comp community will agree that the Neon skins are to much, but it is kinda late to be changing it now.

I opposed bright skins and hit sounds in competition for a long time until I played with it. They make for a more enjoyable competition.

Comment

Originally posted by KriLL3.8™ View Post
                            Or they just want a balance for the "Matrix" skin, I wish everyone that uses that skin would be insta-banned from all servers everywhere... And the guy that make the skin should be forced to live in a room painted black for a week.
                            I know you're kidding, but I just wanted to comment on it anyway.

I played with the Matrix skin 'cause I thought it looked cool.

I play mostly offline, due to the paucity of decent servers, so it never occurred to me one way or the other that I had broken some unwritten rule.

I was called a cheater online, which I thought was weird, as I'm certainly not ever on the top of the scorecard.

It's not until I ran across various threads here that I understood why people were complaining (not that I necessarily agree).

I don't care if I lose... why would I cheat?

Comment

Force models is awesome. Gorge ftw

Comment

Working...
                              X