Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How many of you do not realize we're talking about a guy who quit playing UT at a competative level, comes back 3 years later to a new game, and realizes that he sucks because he isnt up to par anymore. What happens then? Of course, the GAME is wrong.

It's quite humurous, and obvious. And the fun thing is that it goes against what he said in the last interview about playing the game that is made there by the developers. "The way it was intended to be played"

My tip is, wait and see until the game is established and you will see if a weapon is unbalanced or not and action will be taken. There is no need to listen to 1 person who just doesnt like the weapons. I'm getting sick of this fanboy stuff, its like all those people watching American Idol trying to live through other people's lives.

Comment

Ok, so it will obviously make the pro community cranky, and there will be a CPMA style mod for it with neon indiglo skins that look like ***, and chirpy saturday morning cartoon hitsounds and life for them will be good again.

The weapons need to balanced against each other true, but they all need to be "overpowered" imho. I don't want to runaround with a capgun and be seen from 3 miles away because the "pros" are too scared of walking into a pile of green goo (it glows neon green how can you miss that?). I personally want to be able to play hide and seek with my opponant and set goo traps and be a sneaky bastage. Or I might want to be up in his face with my flak. Point is, this "I can see you because the map is flat gray and you are glostick green" **** works fine for some but not for most. Visability is important but not at the detriment of good gameplay, and that goes for ALL aspects of the gameplay.

It'll be ok Stryfe... *shines clan tag with shirt sleeve

Comment

I agree, less cartoon, more real. - D

Comment

You know why UT was a good game? Because there was no UT community before it came along.

Comment

Originally posted by Bersy View Post
            You know why UT was a good game? Because there was no UT community before it came along.
            QFT. There was an Unreal community, but it was very small. I'll quote myself from another thread, "I have enjoyed every iteration of the Unreal franchise (Even Unreal 2) for what it was as a stand-alone game, not what it was compared to another game. So much enjoyment is sucked out of a game when you try to compare it to something else."

I will enjoy UT3 for what it is, not what I or someone else wants it to be because of some preconcieved notion of what "good" is.

Comment

if you read his post at proU and not just the snippets included in this thread you'd see several things:
              • he presented his views because of all the folks asking him
              • he specifically qualifies his views based upon the conditions of the demonstration. these conditions are:
                1. as noted by others, it's the ageia map designed to showcase the physics, but that he was told the "weapons speeds/damage rates, run speeds, physics of the characters themselves etc were all untouched. ".
                2. this was put on by dell to show off their new laptop with ageia. unfortunately, " their 'monstrous' cards ran it at a cool sub 30 FPS....so it was hard to do much of anything. This alone may sway my opinions of the game so take all of what I write with a grain of salt, this is all based strictly on what I played hands on at this booth. "

and imo, "anti-fanboys" are just as bad as a fanboys (perhaps the two sets can get together and annihilate each other ). it's just some guy giving his view - get over it. no one is in here raving over this guy and his view point. show me a single "fanboy" post in this thread.

bersy, you're completely wrong. before UT there was Unreal and there was definitely a community then.

Comment

I said UT, not Unreal Community. And Unreal existed for all of what, a year before UT? My point is there were no clans moaning about weapon balance, people just expected a great game, and they got it, sure they found minor complaints after, but it was just assumed for the most part that the way things were, is how it was supposed to be. Why do people have such a hard time doing that now?

I did read his full review, disclaimers and all. However the fact that it's an Ageia level has little to no bearing on his opinion of weapons, player visibility, and armor balance.
                I wanted to stop reading after he said removing the shieldbelt would be a good idea. It just underscores the fact that the reasons he and others like him play the game are different from the reason the other 99.9% of people do.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonny View Post
                  No way man that was like the whole point of the manta! At least crouching protects you now, which is a good change, but dont take away the main raison d'etre of this vehicle. They've already stopped you standing on the wings.

I think this guy may be exaggerating a bit about the bio gun, from the videos it looks good to me, needs to have the bio stay around longer and be more powerful.
                  I always saw the Manta as a very fast vehicule to move you (and teammates) around. Some people see it as nothing but a weapon to chop heads off. It gets annoying. Glad to learn you can now crouch to avoid this, but a Manta "pilot" will just hover over you waiting for you to stand up... unless you plan to crawl until he's gone :-/

Unfortunate that you can't transport teammates anymore. I wonder why they removed that.

Comment

Originally posted by Lyverbe View Post

Unfortunate that you can't transport teammates anymore. I wonder why they removed that.
                    The hoverboard, you can attach to the Manta and it can tow you and your teammates.

Comment

Originally posted by Lyverbe View Post

Game balance.

BU UT3 IRC Community Chat

• sMURF: has the manta changed at all from 2k4? faster/slower? more/less powerful?
                      [Epic]Checker: Manta is definately changed
                      [EPIC]Mysterial: the manta now has less strafing ability, slightly less top speed, and on level ground cannot crush crouched players
                      [EPIC]Mysterial: also our vehicle collision is much better so less of the engine instagibbing you because it couldn't figure it out
                      [bu]hal:` can you ride on top of it (not on the blades)
                      [EPIC]Mysterial: no
                      [Epic]Checker: I think that is disabled
                      [Epic]stuman: no more mantavans as far as i know
                      [EPIC]Mysterial: not anywhere
                      [Epic]stuman: you can grapple onto it though using the hoverboard
                      [Epic]stuman: which is great for pulling people along, you can use the jumps in some of the levels and the player grappling on
                      [Epic]stuman: will go with you
                      [Epic]Checker: 4 dudes on a manta with link guns was uber Still can do it if you all walk, but not with manta speed
                      [Epic]DrSiN: The hoverboard really removes the need for tricks like that.
                      [Epic]Dave: grappling on the hoverboard is uber useful.. just dangerous
                      [BU]_Lynx: one can grapple only to vehicles or to another hoverboards too?
                      [Epic]stuman: you cant grapple to other hoverboards

Comment

I said UT, not Unreal Community. And Unreal existed for all of what, a year before UT? My point is there were no clans moaning about weapon balance, people just expected a great game, and they got it, sure they found minor complaints after, but it was just assumed for the most part that the way things were, is how it was supposed to be. Why do people have such a hard time doing that now?
                        i'll give you that - i put words in your mouth. but there was still a community and, no doubt, there were still people whining about something. maybe they weren't so organized or such a large body, but people always complain and they don't need clan tags to do it.

I did read his full review, disclaimers and all. However the fact that it's an Ageia level has little to no bearing on his opinion of weapons, player visibility, and armor balance.
                        I wanted to stop reading after he said removing the shieldbelt would be a good idea.
                        i mentioned his qualifications of his statement because people were posting it in here and it kinda gave the impression he wasn't aware of his own conditions. to be fair to him, he stated all that in his post.

and for me, it wasn't that ageia could have such a big impact on his experience as the fact he said frames were dropping below 30. this could have a huge impact on his ability to track targets.

It just underscores the fact that the reasons he and others like him play the game are different from the reason the other 99.9% of people do.
                        i don't know that 99.9% is a fair characterization of this situation. it makes it sound like it's .1% who all want exactly identical competition configuration and the remaining 99.9% want it some other, but identical way. the reality of the situation is much more varied. but i agree with the spirit of what you said. let epic release the game they want and we can customize the game as we wish. those who want nothing but strangelove deemer riding will get it, those who want increased air control, low grav, zp will get it, and those who want some sort of competition mod will get it.

that's the beauty of a game where the players are given the power to modify it to their hearts content - they'll do just that.

Comment

The helmet blocking ALL damage is kinda weird, it should block only the headshot bonus damage, but still do 70 damage to the guy.

About the bio rifle, imho it's quite good that the goo lasts 30 seconds.

The thing about putting it on an armor is silly, since i am pretty sure the goo can be destroyed with any splash damage weapon like shock secondary, flak, rocket, so nobody will stay arround and wait for the goo to wear off.

That means that the only problem i see with the bio secondary lasting half a minute is that you can put it on a spawnpoint , or a teleport destination. Now that's nasty.

Comment

Antigru: But you can see through teleporters now, so that might not be a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by noob.icon View Post
                              i love fast balls !!!
                              You don't say....

Comment

Originally posted by wasser View Post
                                i'll give you that - i put words in your mouth. but there was still a community and, no doubt, there were still people whining about something. maybe they weren't so organized or such a large body, but people always complain and they don't need clan tags to do it.
                                Dude, back in '99 no one whined about anything. Except maybe... Nope, not even about 56k. It was new to everyone and no one was complaining about gameplay, weapon balance or brightskins. We were all just playing and having a great time. We spent our time thanking our lucky stars that U1 UT99 even existed. No time for complaints... All of the stuff you see now stems from players being spoiled rotten.

Comment

Working...
                                X