X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stryfe UT3 review + 2 short new videos

http://prounreal.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=72303

user - *** password - assass

UT3 reviewed by one of the best competitive UT2K4 players, stryfe, and he seems pretty disappointed about some issues in the game, but ofcourse its not the final version so epic still got some time to fix things up.

I.E -

Bio Rifle - This thing is an absolute unbalanced monster right now. Primary fire is fast shots of goo like every other game. However, the secondary charge is just insanity. You charge a giant glob as always and release it, but the thing stays in place for a good 25-30 seconds now without exploding. When it does explode it does some unbelievable amount of damage. For example, I was 199 HP w/ a helmet, I was about 1 dodge away from a load on the ground, it exploded and completely killed me. I can't imagine what it's damage is if you actually walk on top of it. You can literally just throw the thing on top of an armor and it will act like a sticky bomb for half a minute, your enemy runs over it and dies. Needs changing for sure...
    Stinger - This thing is supposed to be our new minigun but it's nowhere near as useful as anything we've been given in U1, UT99 or 2k3/4. The primary is the faster mode for it, but it's still way to slow. The secondary is like a shotgun blast of multiple shards (like U1's stinger) but doesn't seem to do much of anything. The link will definitely replace this as a "finishing" weapon.
    Sniper Rifle - Flat out, 2k4's will hate it, and UT99 players will be alright with it, I don't see anyone loving it. It's speed is somewhere in between UT99 and 2k4, with it being faster then 2k4 and slower then 99 by about equal amounts. The choppy-ness of the set up made it impossible to hit anything so I don't know about damage. I took a few shots and noticed I kept getting dropped to 30 HP so I guess it does 70. It does have a tracer, but I still couldn't tell where in the hell I was getting hit from.
    Helmet = 20 hp of armor, but it completely blocks a single headshot and then you lose it. The problem with this is, you take zero damage. So, for example, if you have LG, with amp and you hit a head shot, that should = 280 damage. If the player has a helmet, it turns into 0. Definite problem, and I don't see it being used in 1v1.
    The videos do make them look bright, but again, due to the set up it may be forcing me to say that they flat out suck. Yes they are better then 2k4's of course, but they just look like a blur when running past you. I knew all the bot patterns and just watched them run around and I could not track them with my eyes yet alone with my hands to shoot them. Rockets looked like they were flying out of the shadows and snipers were coming from god knows where. The only time I could see anyone was when they had a giant flag on their back. Brightskins will be needed within the first 15 minutes of installing.
    videos -

about 30 seconds each but gives you another prespective on how UT3 can be played, suddenly it dosent look that slow at all, like in previous videos.

http://s10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...t=MVI_1948.flv

http://s10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...t=MVI_1950.flv

yuck, hate that style for the map thats in the vids ala ctf-chrome, hope there arent many like that.. i hope epic takes stryfes advice for tweaking purposes! i think the helmet thing is ridiculous if it completely takes the damage off a headshot!?!

Comment

hard to see anything on this videos, except that SR has too big recoil imo.

Comment

Epic promised an extra degree of community consultation /possible minor modifications, after demo, prior to full launch, hope this still holds true.

Cannot fairly comment on most of above until demo time, but this super powered Bio rifle sounds like it could create choke points,almost like some huge proximity mine if it hangs around for 25-30s. 6 of these plus spiders?

Comment

Looks like he was playing the Ageia PhysX example level, not a retail level. If that about the goo is right I feel a bit worried about the weapon balance..

Comment

/rolls eyes

Maybe the bio sounds a bit powerful and the stinger a bit underpowered, but I can't know until I've played it. I certainly can't agree about the other stuff highlighted above.

If Epic make delays based off stuff like this I will be ******. Let us judge the balance ourselves with the demo.

Comment

Originally posted by Molgan View Post
              Looks like he was playing the Ageia PhysX example level, not a retail level. If that about the goo is right I feel a bit worried about the weapon balance..
              Yep, it definately is that Ageia Level. I played that too. Remember, this is NOT the final build and things will be different for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Bersy View Post
                /rolls eyes at this "review".

Maybe the bio sounds a bit powerful and the stinger a bit underpowered, but I can't know until I've played it. I certainly can't agree about the other stuff. And if Epic delays things based off whining like that I will be ******.
                i dont see how much of delay it would be to go into code and change the numbers in dmg they dish

Comment

no disrespect the bio was underpowered from the word go with regards to how long it stayed, it's a pile of goo for god sake, it should stay for a good few seconds instead of just vanishing, granted if the truth about how close he was to it, and still died, that could do with tweaking down, but if your stupid enough to stand near a goo pile, then it's your own fault you die from it's explosion.
                  Look at the damage a full charge does atm, it's almost instant death, but hardly anyone uses it because it's either classed as "skilless" or it takes to much time per charge, but it's a gamble you take for a full kill or having to fire a few times at someone, so imo it balances out roughly, so the ut3 with alittle improvment could be far better!
                  not sure about the other weapons, i was just a fan boy of the goo!

/me hugs my bio gun

Comment

I hope that helmet will also block Mantas from chopping heads off. Let the Manta move you around, transport other players, and fire, but let that "head chopping" feature go. Some players are totally missing the point of the game and just enjoy chopping heads off for a big score.

Comment

the manta cannot decapitate you if you're crouched. it is also less mobile.

Comment

Originally posted by Lyverbe View Post
                        I hope that helmet will also block Mantas from chopping heads off. Let the Manta move you around, transport other players, and fire, but let that "head chopping" feature go. Some players are totally missing the point of the game and just enjoy chopping heads off for a big score.
                        No way man that was like the whole point of the manta! At least crouching protects you now, which is a good change, but dont take away the main raison d'etre of this vehicle. They've already stopped you standing on the wings.

I think this guy may be exaggerating a bit about the bio gun, from the videos it looks good to me, needs to have the bio stay around longer and be more powerful.

Comment

Tch. Another "pro" crybaby.

Comment

thanks to stryfe for the review.

Im glad the speed seem to compensate the removal of dodge jump. I am one happy camper. I like my video games like my cars, pee in your pants fast

bio rifle, im sure they will fix it, just doesnt make sense to have a goo-like mine for half a minute. Otherwise everyone will be spamming goo at every inch of the map. Tweak down the damage a bit, change the time of secondary explosion, and it will be Purrrfect.

all praise the link gun. IM SOO happy he said its similar to quakes LG. I cant wait to light everyone up like christmas trees. I personally hated the wiggly green noodle that we had in 2k4! Bent rod-no more !!! who likes a bent shaft?? ... i sure dont

skins...no problemo.... brightskins will be made, it will be standard in competition.

shock rifle... i love that...faster balls !! .. hellza yea ..i love fast balls !!! shock balls were easy to hit in ut2k4, i like a challenge.

Rocket ... i sure hope its easier to air rox people, quake3 was soo easy, but ut2k4 was soo hard, i hope its in between.

worried about sniper rifle since im a big fan of the lightening gun, I think thats my only issue as of now.

all in all, thanks stryfe for review, im POSITIVE they will tweak it before the DEMO, and then they will tweak it even further for the game. KICK ASH !!! .. cant wait... pee in your pants wait!!

Comment

There is no way there should be any *Reviews* for this game yet especially since it isn't released. I don't see why people go out of their way to make reviews for unfinished products only to have the game go though a whole load of changes and then they have to review it again or they don't review it and it possibly damages the games name or causes a number of inaccuracies to occur when a user looks to play the game based on that review or the fact the game is avoided all together based on damaging opinions before the game is finalized. People eat this **** up because it has the tag PRO attached or it is a name synonymous to the word itself.

Comment

Working...
                              X