Mac UT3 Editor Show of hands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tidu View Post
    I think the idea here is that for the last year or so we've been under the impression of a mac/linux port, and now, 1-2 months before release, they say "what are you talking about?"

Maybe they started work on it and realized it wasn't worth it, I don't know. But at least address the issue.
    You're right
    That was 4 years ago

Comment

Why do all threads with more than one OS in it always end up in a flame war?

Comment

Originally posted by da ghost View Post
        Why do all threads with more than one OS in it always end up in a flame war?
        Because for some reason, people still haven't realised that Linux is ftw XD

Comment

Having a PC-versus-Mac debate won't help this issue and will drag this thread down to the trollers and flamers...

The jist of the matter will be that Epic will be currently pushing code to get UT3 as solid as possible on the targetted platform releases, that will be their current objective. So I would expect their internal path to be PC and PS3 at this time, with a switch to XBox shortly.
          It won't be a priority at this time to port the Editor to any other platforms since Epic and all Licensees will be currently on PC boxes, and this is where a measurable portion of Epic's money is coming from.
          If a port does happen, it wouldn't be until next year after UT3 has shipped on all three platforms. Epic supports and updates their engines for a few years, so as always, I expect to see future engine upgrades and enhancements during 2008 to 2010 or so.

So for the Mac users on these forums, starting threads to coerce Epic isn't going to do anything at this time. Wait until after all releases of UT3 ship, then see what they are up to and make your voice heard then.

Another thing to keep in mind, very few studios use Macs, so Epic has virtually no Licensee requirements to port over UnrealEd. Mac users simply need to smell the coffee and realize that they are a minimal market share platform, I don't mean this as a flame, it is a simple financial cost-risk-benefit analysis. A port of UnrealEd to Macs would mostly benefit a small portion of the user community is all. If a port were to occur, IMHO Linux would probably be the first choice as it would most likely be the second OS of choice for some Licensees.

Comment

Originally posted by DGUnreal View Post
            Having a PC-versus-Mac debate won't help this issue and will drag this thread down to the trollers and flamers...
            Agreed!

[snip]

So for the Mac users on these forums, starting threads to coerce Epic isn't going to do anything at this time. Wait until after all releases of UT3 ship, then see what they are up to and make your voice heard then.
            "coerce"? Who is "coercing"?? Guys, can't we just have a thread *asking* for something? I disagree about waiting... and in fact is the reason why I started this thread. Remember, the mac community didn't get a U ED previously. The point of starting the conversation now is to let Epic know there are Mac folks interested in joining the mod making world... and with any luck, we'll get a copy when we get the game.

Another thing to keep in mind, very few studios use Macs, so Epic has virtually no Licensee requirements to port over UnrealEd. Mac users simply need to smell the coffee and realize that they are a minimal market share platform, [blah]
            This has been said (by me and others). In fact, is there *anyone* debating the point?

DG I appreciate your contributions to the Unreal community, but you guys have your U ED.. let us Mac users ask for it.

- D

Comment

Originally posted by Ceil View Post
              I do not, and will not, have a Windows OS. I already could "use the editor in windows" if I did.
              Sorry but that's quite childish, if you have a rake you use a rake, you don't whine and moan about not having a leaf blower.

Comment

Originally posted by =Uff-da= View Post
                Guys, can't we just have a thread *asking* for something?
                Sure, why not.

I disagree about waiting... and in fact is the reason why I started this thread.
                *Epic brains thinking*: "hmm... should we finish the UT3 game code for a November release and get a demo out or should we port over the Editor for Mac Users..."

Which do you think will be the higher priority for many reasons including financial, and what do you think the Licensees and majority of UT gamers want?
                As I stated, you may have to wait, there is no way around that. Epic doesn't have the resources to provide everything all at once. And if the Editor is currently ready only for PC I doubt they will hold up UT3's release waiting for Linux/Mac ports of the Editor to be included on the disc. Maybe it will ship with it, maybe you will see one in a few months, maybe never, I couldn't tell you (actually even if I know I can't tell you because of NDAs ).

... you guys have your U ED.. let us Mac users ask for it.
                Asking for it is fine. I'm not saying you shouldn't.
                And if enough people request it, and Epic has the resources to devote to it, you may see it. But whether it will be shipped with UT3 I can't say for sure. Getting UT3 shipped to the PC and Consoles and keeping their Licensees happy will be their top priorities at this time.

Comment

Originally posted by DGUnreal View Post
                  Sure, why not.

Which do you think will be the higher priority for many reasons including financial, and what do you think the Licensees and majority of UT gamers want?
                  As I stated, you may have to wait, there is no way around that. Epic doesn't have the resources to provide everything all at once. And if the Editor is currently ready only for PC I doubt they will hold up UT3's release waiting for Linux/Mac ports of the Editor to be included on the disc. Maybe it will ship with it, maybe you will see one in a few months, maybe never, I couldn't tell you (actually even if I know I can't tell you because of NDAs ).

Asking for it is fine. I'm not saying you shouldn't.
                  And if enough people request it, and Epic has the resources to devote to it, you may see it. But whether it will be shipped with UT3 I can't say for sure. Getting UT3 shipped to the PC and Consoles and keeping their Licensees happy will be their top priorities at this time.
                  Well DG, I actually think we may be saying the same thing... but in different words. I have no ill will that it won't ship with the PC version... I *am* hoping it will ship with the mac boxed version. I don't care if they wait till after the PC release... because I'm not buying that version....

We are clear that Epic has said the Mac version will come out *after* the PC version right? (at least that is how I took it)

Donovan

Comment

Personally, I'd love to have the editor on my Linux box (and the Mac box I'm buying after Christmas), but I also think that Epic should focus their attentions on getting the game to be the absolute best it can be... But then *after* the release; get an OS X/Linux port of UnreaEd working, and make it available, either with the first patch, or as a separate download.

Just my $0.02

Comment

Working...
                    X