UT3 on a mac....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UT3 on a mac....

will i be able to just buy a copy down at my local game-store and install/play with the ease of original UT or will there be hassles?

the game may come out for mac a while after the Windows version release (thats the impression I've got). As long as your system is good enough it should be able to play it.

I don't think mac is getting the editor though (which sucks... )

Test your system on
    http://www.ut2341.com/UT3SystemScore/
    that.

Oh and thank Bersy for making it... I can't claim credit for it, just the advertising of it.

Also look in other 'Can My PC Run It' style threads. Users here don't really like new posts saying the same things.

Comment

UT2004 had Windows, Mac, and Linux support right out of the box. I think that will be the way for UT3 as well.

Comment

Epic has confirmed the max version will be out after the PC and Linux versions, it's most likely a third party that's porting it like the last time with UT2004.

Comment

Originally posted by KriLL3.8™ View Post
          Epic has confirmed the max version will be out after the PC and Linux versions, it's most likely a third party that's porting it like the last time with UT2004.
          link

and the editor will be cross platform. theres no reason not to have a mac/linux/pc version in the same box

Comment

Originally posted by DanB91 View Post

and the editor will be cross platform.
            Huh? I seriously doubt it.

Chat Log @ BU
            • {uX}l`VampyrCeil: Is the Unreal Editor really going to be available for Mac and Linux users this time around? Also, will it be able to import/export from/to third-party applications (specifically Blender 3D)?

[Epic]DrSiN: I don't believe there are plans for a Mac/Linux editor.
            [Epic]DrSiN: Jeff?
            [Epic]IctusBrucks: the editor imports .ase files for static mesh geometry
            [Epic]IctusBrucks: the editor can export static meshes as .obj or .stl, so any program that can read those formats and export .ase can work well with UE3
            [EPIC]WarTourist: Dunno...linux game exe in the box and mac version soon after. Not sure how the editor works

Comment

Yea, sounds like it is not a priority at the least.

What I see on this forum though is that Mac users really want to be on an even plane as PC's regarding EPIC's game release. I'm optimistic that the powers that be are noticing these posts. Apple has come a long way in just the last few years and really (finally) has the numbers to justify a step up in priorities in the minds of game developers.

C'mon EPIC, make the decision to get going NOW with the PORT TO MAC!

Donovan

Comment

Read that quote, it's coming to linux at the same time as windows, the disc contains both versions, and Epic has always used a third party developer to port to Mac.

Comment

The MAC port is outsourced, that's why there's a delay. They can't do that until they base version is content locked. These things take time.

LINUX they said will be with the standard PC edition.

Comment

And the content is locked when the game goes gold, and it hasn't gone gold yet.

Comment

fixed.....

Comment

Originally posted by =Uff-da= View Post
                        fixed.....
                        It's not like they're dragging their heels on the MAC version.

They can't start the port 'til they're done.

Comment

I hope you are correct. UT2K4 was just too long of wait.. though they did a pretty good job on the port. My fear is that it will drag out and be hyped up through the MacWorld adverts etc... I'm just trying to get the word out that we don't need the hype.. we need the game.

Donovan

Comment

yes the mac community is growing, and although there is boot camp and parallels, its much better to have direct support of mac os x and show that some of the game developers do care about mac.

it would also help if apple got serious w/ gaming too. i hope there is some gaming announcement at macworld

Comment

Originally posted by Mort_Q View Post
                              The MAC port is outsourced, that's why there's a delay. They can't do that until they base version is content locked. These things take time.

LINUX they said will be with the standard PC edition.
                              this is really, really weird.

given that Darwin (the 'guts' of OS-X) is essentially a Linux distribution in & of itself, i don't see why anything really needs to be outsourced.

meh, i'll wait for it to come out and check before plonking down the $$$

Originally posted by isp_of_doom View Post
                              Test your system on
                              http://www.ut2341.com/UT3SystemScore/
                              that.

Oh and thank Bersy for making it... I can't claim credit for it, just the advertising of it.
                              i don't see any options for 'Power-PC G5' chipsets on that doover.

Comment

Working...
                              X