Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will UT3 support OpenAL sound?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Will UT3 support OpenAL sound?

    I'm planning on buying the X-Fi sound cards since I use Vista. And maybe some of you may know allready but Vista does not support EAX and DTS so my sound blaster audigy card is completely useless now.

    #2
    I think it will, but I'm not so sure

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by Paincakes View Post
      I'm planning on buying the X-Fi sound cards since I use Vista. And maybe some of you may know allready but Vista does not support EAX and DTS so my sound blaster audigy card is completely useless now.
      More like Creative doesn't support Vista and is charging for EAX enabled drivers. Creative is as lazy as every other cheapskate company trying to pick a font for their five year plan. Don't support companies that don't support your needs.

      I chose Nvidia over ATI because of better Linux support. This idea doesn't work for everyone but it has effected ATI enough to support Linux more.

      Comment


        #4
        Creative is as lazy as every other cheapskate company trying to pick a font for their five year plan
        so... creative on vista doesn't work? What does? I can't think of any other sound card manufacturer....

        Comment


          #5
          Are you guys saying that EAX or DTS is not supported on Vista by creative with any of their products or are you saying that they are only supporting those features in vista if you get an x-fi?

          Comment


            #6
            There is a 10 usd software you can download from them but only a couple of games are supported (like 30 to 40 games) so thats really crappy.

            Now I wanted to go back to XP becauseo of this problem I just find out XP home doesn't support Quad Core processors

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by isp_of_doom View Post
              so... creative on vista doesn't work? What does? I can't think of any other sound card manufacturer....
              I don't think there is... Creative is dominating the sound card market as far as I'm concerned.

              Comment


                #8
                You will get sound just fine but its going be like having a $10 sound card unless you get the $10 drivers that lack titles. Unless EAX is important to you 3rd party cards will give you everything you need. My Realtek on board sound chip works fine and does surround sound through a optical output plus has EAX up to version 2.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by Paincakes View Post
                  There is a 10 usd software you can download from them but only a couple of games are supported (like 30 to 40 games) so thats really crappy.

                  Now I wanted to go back to XP becauseo of this problem I just find out XP home doesn't support Quad Core processors
                  Thats not all Creative's fault, though they shouldn't charge for the software needed to enabled it. It is more Microsoft's fault, they removed DirectSound support in Vista, so you can bet money UT3 will be using OpenAL instead.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    You can get the full set of Vista drivers for Creative X-Fi cards here:

                    http://www.youp-pax.org/viewthread.p...extra=page%3D1

                    These give you the drivers and many of the other software packages that are on the XP installation disc for XP.

                    When you first install them, ignore the first screen that tells you to reboot and follow through with the Custom installation that installs the drivers and the software packages that you want ( especially the Creative Console Launcher ) and after everything is installed, then restart your rig.

                    It is an ISO file and you will need to burn the image to a disc.

                    I've used these for over a month and have had no issues and they work like a champ. Hope this helps.

                    EDIT: For those wanting help with older games in Vista and need DirectSound3D ( such as UT99 does ) head over to Creatives' site and in the Vista download section download Creative Alchemy.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by Spaz View Post
                      You will get sound just fine but its going be like having a $10 sound card unless you get the $10 drivers that lack titles. Unless EAX is important to you 3rd party cards will give you everything you need. My Realtek on board sound chip works fine and does surround sound through a optical output plus has EAX up to version 2.
                      Onboard sound seems to reduce perfomance (since it uses processing power)
                      Or is that just bull****?

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by brdempsey69 View Post
                        You can get the full set of Vista drivers for Creative X-Fi cards here:

                        http://www.youp-pax.org/viewthread.p...extra=page%3D1

                        These give you the drivers and many of the other software packages that are on the XP installation disc for XP.

                        When you first install them, ignore the first screen that tells you to reboot and follow through with the Custom installation that installs the drivers and the software packages that you want ( especially the Creative Console Launcher ) and after everything is installed, then restart your rig.

                        I've used these for over a month and have had no issues and they work like a champ. Hope this helps.

                        EDIT: For those wanting help with older games in Vista and need DirectSound3D ( such as UT99 does ) head over to Creatives' site and in the Vista download section download Creative Alchemy.
                        Btw neither UT99 nor UT2k4 is on the list.

                        What type X-Fi are you using anyway?

                        http://www.alternate.nl/html/shop/pr...rten&#Creative

                        Here a list of my choice... I use Home Premium 32bit btw.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          X-Fi Extreme Music is what I'm using. I checked your link Paincakes. Don't choose X-Fi Extreme Audio as it is not supported. Extreme Music and Extreme Gamer are both supported.

                          Remember the Pax package is an ISO file that you need to burn to a disc with the "Burn Image to Disc" feature. I use Nero 6 on my XP partition.

                          EDIT: You are right, UT99 and UT2004 aren't on the Alchemy list, but UT2004 shouldn't need it and I tested UT99 and it worked fine, but I don't have UT99 or UT2004 on my Vista partition because the NVidia drivers for my 7950Gx2 aren't optimized for those games.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Old Sound Cards

                            I have a box of old sound cards. I just recycled the old ISA ones, but kept all the PCI ones. I should have recycled all the 2 channel cards anyway, but Linux supports them all. Even so, they will very likely sit until I recycle them alsol. Creative, and all other brands, likely cannot make drivers for old cards for vista. That is Microsoft culling the herd.

                            Vista was to be the next big step in computer OS. It turned out just to be a DX10 platform. So, 90% of the plan went south, but they had to release something, had to keep the cash flow going. No problem, who cares if it's just warmed over XP with pretty colors, advertising always works. No one needs vista except Microsoft. They need it badly. The next step in eliminating competition and dissent. Yes, the next step in controlling the market. The monopoly has to have it's way and all who bow to it must pay. Get a spine and stick with XP unless you must buy a new computer. Vote with your wallets. The public ultimately controls demand in a free market. Microsoft is a monopoly, thus, no free market. Fight the monopoly where and when you can. Get informed, get educated, do not be seduced because your naive or uninformed. Find out what they are trying to selling you before you spend your money. Do not follow the rest of the herd down the path to the slaughter house.

                            As I step down from the soap box, I must also remind all that Microsoft does not support anyone but windows or mac with online ability to see streaming video. They encourage IE only web sites. If you do not have IE, you cannot play. That is because it fears competition. You usually can still see it, but, that becomes a different issue. Control is how a monopoly or dictatorship works. In other words you pay them or you cannot play. It's their way, or the outlaw way. Power corrupts always and absolutely. Stand up and help make things better. Stand up and be a force for good and progress.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by Paincakes View Post
                              Onboard sound seems to reduce perfomance (since it uses processing power)
                              Or is that just bull****?
                              Your right some lack hardware acceleration but at most your talking 2 to 5 FPS. Sound quality compared to the X-Fi will be less but no less then a older SB without up conversion in it.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X