It doesn't even load, let alone run!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It doesn't even load, let alone run!

Reading the UT3 score calculator and graphics cards threads, I remembered about this:
    http://www.steampowered.com/status/survey.html

RAM >1GB: 30%
    2 or more CPUs/cores: 25%

Intel CPU speeds are a mess, because Core and P4 are mixed
    AMD speeds: better than 3800+ SC or 4600+ DC : 8%

GF8800: 4,56%
    Cards with shader 3: 53%. Even if it support SM2, 6% are Radeon9800 or better.
    Display 4:3 : 83.6% (25% have 19'' or above)
    AGP: 40%
    SLI/Crossfire: 1.2%

Creative X-Fi: 2.89%
    Separate card or NForceAudio: ~20%

Windows Vista: 8%
    Vista with DX10: 2.31%

So let's see:
    75% don't have enough RAM, 75% of the CPUs are outdated, 92% of AMD CPUs are too slow, 47% don't load Bioshock, 80% have soundcards that are a CPU hog, 90% use the dying and outdated XP.

Who doesn't have an high-end rig, often don't post on forums, put the specs on their sig or talk much about it.

Ugh. Don't remind me.

I've got an Athlon 64 3200, 1GB of DDR400 RAM, an NVidia 7300GS, and hardly enough hard drive space for Bioshock.

Comment

I'm not sure where I fit in on this, but I could run the RoboBlitz demo just fine, so I think I'll be able to play UT3 at least in med settings.

Comment

90% of steam users are people playing CS. They don't need powerful systems.

Comment

I feel unless they tweak graphic settings too minimum (for best frames, competative play) Epic is somewhat shooting themselves in the foot, people need 2k - 3k rigs to even run it ; it's sad, but becoming very true =(

-Manta-

Comment

Actually that is not true, 2 gigs of ddr2 ram is dirt cheap, you can get an intel quad core cpu for less then 400 bucks, you can get a video card that is very capable of playing ut3 for 300 bucks, you can get a mobo for about 150, and as far as sound goes, onboard is fine when you have all the other components that makes this game scream.

With that setup you could prob run at least medium settings at full fps.

Lets not forget that nvidia is coming out with more upgraded video cards which will drop the current video cards prices even more.

I would not call XP a dieing OS dx 10 is not that great and I bet you, you get better performance out of xp anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by -Manta- View Post
              I feel unless they tweak graphic settings too minimum (for best frames, competative play) Epic is somewhat shooting themselves in the foot, people need 2k - 3k rigs to even run it;
              My $900 machine runs Bioshock on medium settings just fine. I expect it will run UT3 at high framerates just fine as well.
              Originally posted by -Manta- View Post
              it's sad, but becoming very true =(
              Technically, it would become less true, as the more time passes the more Epic optimizes the engine and the game.

Comment

Bah! We need the demo I say :[ ! (Compile us DM-Untextured_Square with one character and I'll be happy for weeks!)

(At least Epic isn't slapping the ' OMG! THIS IS A BETA! PLEASE DONT JUDGE OUR ENGINE'S CAPABILITIES YET SEEING HOW THIS IS PRE-RELEASE SOFTWARE EVEN THOUGH WE'RE RELEASING THE GAME IN 2 MONTHS ' like Crytek is doing with Crysis )

Comment

Originally posted by Benfica View Post
                  So let's see:
                  75% don't have enough RAM, 75% of the CPUs are outdated, 92% of AMD CPUs are too slow, 47% don't load Bioshock, 80% have soundcards that are a CPU hog, 90% use the dying and outdated XP.
                  You are exaggerating quite a bit, sure a lot of people wont be able to come near high settings, but you don't need a top notch PC and the latest OS to be able to enjoy UT3. Calm down and don't scare people off hehe.

Comment

You don't need a dual-core processor to play UT3... and sound cards don't matter.

And... OH NOES, they're gonna be running XP... their performance are teh suck...

looks like OP needs to learn about computers.

Comment

That survey was started in May, so a lot of people may have since upgraded.
                      Also yes, a lot of steam users play CS, so don't to upgrade.
                      And upgrading does not cost a fortune like it once did, you can get a perfectly decent system for less than a PS3.
                      1 tip is NEVER buy top of the range, always just above mid range where the price per power is best while still getting you a good system that plays the latest stuff for 1 year+

Comment

Originally posted by da ghost View Post
                        and sound cards don't matter.
                        Yes they do. The difference is not exactly huge, but with a high-end sound card the sound is calculated by the soundcard instead of the CPU, which frees the CPU up for running the game. Onboard AC97's are notoriously CPU 'heavy' and will cost you a few % of performance in CPU-heavy games like UT series have always been.

Comment

Originally posted by Lert View Post
                          Onboard AC97's are notoriously CPU 'heavy' and will cost you a few % of performance in CPU-heavy games like UT series have always been.
                          People with on-board sound are also probably running XP, and that will free some resources compared to Vista. Lose some win some. =)

Comment

Sorry, quick reply.
                            About XP was being sarcastic of course. And I have a good enough rig, I scored 19 or whatever that was.

Note that the survey was updated on "August 21", and I'd really like that dudes that play CS and similar **** would ditch it and play UT3.

Comment

Didn't the Epic guys say in the IRC interview that we would be surprised at how low the minimum specs will be?

I don't doubt that a powerhouse rig will be needed to play the game at close to the level of detail seen in the media released so far, but UE in the Unreal games has always been tremendously scalable in terms of how low you can tune the graphics for lower spec systems, why should UT3 be any different?

One way or the other, the demo will give us a good idea.

Comment

Working...
                              X