Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Epic] Which hardware is needed to host a PS3 server?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Epic] Which hardware is needed to host a PS3 server?

Just curious. Since cross platform ability isnt on the to do list at the moment, would it be possible for us (us being Titan) to host servers for PS3 players? If so, what hardware would be needed? PS3's or normal servers?

Would be cool if could at least create a crossplatform community, eventhough both would be physically seperated in game.

PS3 servers are run on regular PCs, to my knowledge. And system specs are still not known.

Comment

I know about the specs, stopped asking for them.

Cool, so that means we can host PS3 servers too....right? Or is that server version software not publicly available? (if its different from a normal dedicated server that is)

Comment

You can host servers via PC server for ps3.

I asked if PS3 peopel were able to download custom content from servers via redirect, and mark said yes. I cant imagine a ps3 doing that...or one hosting players and providing good pings.

Im sure there will be a dedicated ps3 server file to download at launch.

As for server specs, they said in the interview that it wasnt all that much different than ut2k4.(irc I think)

Anyway, epic knows what they are doing. They wanted to make the ps3 title as openended as possible. Running custom mods and maps, aside from the midway funded servers, one would think that pc servers would be needed.
        Besides, have you ever tried hosting a game on UT off your pc, for more than just a few people? Unless you have something better than cable/dsl, its gets laggy real fast.

Comment

Originally posted by Fusion View Post
          I know about the specs, stopped asking for them.

Cool, so that means we can host PS3 servers too....right? Or is that server version software not publicly available? (if its different from a normal dedicated server that is)
          Im not sure about this, but i know warhawk, a ps3 only game, which has servers hosted by sony, are actually playstation 3s...like literally. Its crazy..im not sure how the server hosting will work out..

but i hope pc server companys will host servers..i have always loved that part about pc gaming...

So...i have no idea ..lol

Comment

Originally posted by ScottUT View Post
            I asked if PS3 peopel were able to download custom content from servers via redirect, and mark said yes. I cant imagine a ps3 doing that...or one hosting players and providing good pings.
            A PS3's processor is more powerful than you think it is. It's VERY powerful. You don't need a GPU to host a server.

Comment

Originally posted by da ghost View Post
              A PS3's processor is more powerful than you think it is. It's VERY powerful. You don't need a GPU to host a server.
              Yes, but apparently its hell to code for ~8 seperate cores of the processor. Developers are only just doing Dual core, let alone having to do 8 or so.

However Folding@home shows how powerful a PS3 is for that kind of calculations.

Comment

great question... there's some mad money to be made in that

::runs to research::

;x

Comment

We're not in it for the money

Comment

*bumpetybump*

Comment

If it's possible, I do not see the limitation of 16 players on the PS3. Perhaps they mean that you can only have 16 players if playing on a server that is running on the PS3 itself (listen server).

We won't get any answers at all though, so this thread is just speculation until there is a new interview.

Comment

Working...
                      X