No announcement yet.

[WCG 2008 Voting Added] How we can help promote UT3 competitions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The problem is that us UT fans don't have ****** status like these other gamers.

Comment

CAL imo....

Comment

Originally posted by da ghost View Post
        Epic develops games, but they have no real power in determining how many competitions their games shows up in.
        Not to start a fight, but this is very untrue. Game developers who are interested in the development of E-Sports drop a lot of money into competitions (see: Sierra, Valve, DreamCatcher, iD, Blizzard)

However, Epic can choose to do whatever they want, and in doing so has said that it is up to us to make the effort. So, any ideas you come up with should be supported by everyone that is interested.

Sending emails to WCG or ESWC, CPL, CGS, etc. Posting a thread in their forums and then having everyone post saying they'd support it helps as well.

I know Day of Defeat community were able to get their 7-8 year old game (dod1.3) to have a BYOC tournament at CPL by just having their entire community idle in #CPL on irc.gamesurge.net (org?com?) and wearing the tag [DOD4CPL] then their name.

Comment

Originally posted by bdy- View Post
          Not to start a fight, but this is very untrue. Game developers who are interested in the development of E-Sports drop a lot of money into competitions (see: Sierra, Valve, DreamCatcher, iD, Blizzard)

However, Epic can choose to do whatever they want, and in doing so has said that it is up to us to make the effort. So, any ideas you come up with should be supported by everyone that is interested.

Sending emails to WCG or ESWC, CPL, CGS, etc. Posting a thread in their forums and then having everyone post saying they'd support it helps as well.

I know Day of Defeat community were able to get their 7-8 year old game (dod1.3) to have a BYOC tournament at CPL by just having their entire community idle in #CPL on irc.gamesurge.net (org?com?) and wearing the tag [DOD4CPL] then their name.
          I won't repeat, but go read the other thread (cash tournaments or something similar) on this gigantic load of nonsense that EPIC has no power to promote competitions. Utter nonsense. As demonstrated by this author who "gets it", see: Blizzard, Bungie, iD, Sierra, Valve, etc.

"Look at me, I'm EPIC, I make lots of money, make console selling exclusives, my engine is the dominant engine in the universe, but I'm powerless"....

You guys believe this because???

Dan

Comment

Make fun of people online, that always starts competition.

Comment

Link posted. Vote away.

Comment

Done. UT3(1st) and Crysis(2nd) in FPS category.

Comment

UT3 is facing some real competition. I think they'll pick only 2 from each category. Even with Halo 3, Crysis, and Quake 4, UT3 still stands a good chance.

Comment

UT3 is facing some real competition. I think they'll pick only 2 from each category. Even with Halo 3, Crysis, and Quake 4, UT3 still stands a good chance.
                    "even with"?

UT2004 1v1 is played more than Quake4 1v1 on the ClanBase cups
                    Crysis will not become a game for competition. Remember Far Cry?
                    Halo 3 is an Xbox game, surely they'll have a PC game too.

Also the UT series have a big history in WCG. Surely they must include it.

Comment

The WCG is largely a popularity contest. And as of now, Crysis is more popular than UT3. Halo 3 is up there no matter what, so then let's not forget what happened at WCG2005:

In 2005, there were a number of major FPS titles vying for 2 slots: The slowly dying but previous tournament staple Quake 3 Arena, the blockbuster Halo 2, and a split community of CS 1.6 vs CS: Source. UT2004 stood no chance against those games, even though it had proved itself a worthy competitive game at the previous WCG. The split CS community, unsure of either the old or the new, mustered enough votes to bring the young and still buggy CS: Source to the WCG.

and, of course, Halo 2 was the other game at the WCG.... so that explains alot.

And, of course, the pro community is a little weary of trusting Epic as of yet. Too many pros have been critical of the early stages of UT3. They may end up going back to Quake 4.

And...

Crysis, although not developed as primarily a multiplayer experience, is still hyped up more than UT3 is. Let's not sit back and enjoy the show. There's no need to sign up. Just vote.

Comment

Support from the game developers and publishers, and operating matters of the tournament will also be considered.
                        = Pay us money.

We promise that we will count the players' opinion as the most important
                        *Snicker* I bet you will!

Comment

Mark Rein is 100% correct on this one. Epic develops games, but they have no real power in determining how many competitions their games shows up in. The community determines this.

[snip]

EDIT: The voting booth is now open:

http://www.worldcybergames.com/poll/selection2008.asp
                          Well, I just posted this on the "other" thread, but this one was first and seems a bit more appropriate. I see some potential problems with da Ghost's remarks above... I think we are going to need to see some commitment from Epic and partners on this. See below.

--
                          A potential problem with the WCG is made known in the disclaimer that you get after submitting your vote. The WCG "disclaimer" says that, basically, along with the "opinions" of the voters (players), the investments of the game developors (into WCG) will be a factor. So if Epic and their partners don't invest into WCG, and for instance, Halo rains money on to them, we may be SOL.

Halo doesn't have all the hyped up commercial advertisements, endorsements etc etc.. only because it is a "good game". There is a very rich company behind it.
                          --

- D

Comment

Good points. However, I don't think that "support" in this case means monetary support. It means that the developers will be willing to let the game be run in these tournaments around the world and to let the WCG use their games to attract people in these events. It's more of a guarantee that the developers would not plague a game with vast game-altering patches that may break the gameplay.

I remember how UT2004 was removed from a recent ESWC because Epic was switching to Midway, and couldn't guarantee their support. I don't think it was monetary support that Epic was giving out, it's more of a guarantee that they will keep the game properly maintained throughout the competition.

So Krill's concerns are trivial

Comment

Working...
                            X