Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What? No built-in IRC browser? Gah! I love the built in IRC browser!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got 4 screens so when I'm playing I got the game on one, Firefox one one Chatzilla on one and iTunes on one, can't say I'll miss the ingame IRC client.

Comment

Originally posted by da ghost View Post
      ^Everything about this post is WRONG
      Elaborate or gtfo.

Comment

As long as Alt+Tab works great, then there's really no need for an ingame irc browser imo.

Comment

ingame irc sucks. glad to see they are not wasting time making something 95% of the people wont use. WHERE IS THE DEMO!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by bdy- View Post
            In game IRC is a great way to foster a community. Anywhere from Mod channels to Instagib to anything really.
            Yeah seriously, with the amount of peeps in a irc channel you aren't going to get them all on voice . I don't have a dual monitor setup and hitting the windows key to get to irc is lame imo. I just found the last (2k4) irc interface a little clumsy tbh.

Strange too as the big interview on Tuesday was on....Irc.!?! I saw a lot of peeps on that channel and I know that most teams had only one maybe two reps in the channel. *shrug*.

At any rate that's kind of sad they didn't make an in-game irc client this time around. Hello windows key

Comment

In-game IRC would not be bad to have, done right. As buddy said, it would foster the community. The majority of people playing this game who would like to get involved in a more competetive arena, IRC is one of the easiest routes you can use to get a jump start and get to know everyone, answer questions, debate news or things about the game, in real-time.

I think my real concern is, even if irc isnt included, how well will the match-making system they were supposedly going to invent be implemented? Something to help people with the skill gap via server stats or something of the like is what I recall. Its been a while since I've heard any news on that.

PS- mIRC + NNscript > xChat

Comment

Originally posted by xi0s View Post
                Chatzilla > *

The ability to write your own CSS for the output just crushes everything else.

Comment

Originally posted by KriLL3.8™ View Post
                  Chatzilla > *
                  I used Chatzilla for a long time. It was free and easy on the plus side, on the downside I'd get random wierd troubles with it like quite often loss of PM, DCC troubles, and a few other oddities I can't recall off the top of my head. I never had the time to go digging around to find out why.

Comment

eh, ssh+screen+irssi

Comment

Before this topic goes off rails, might as well add in my two cents...

UT's in game IRC chat i honestly think is key to the game. New users seemingly go to the chat first rather than anything else. Sure the more experienced users use mIRC and so forth to find stuff on the IRC world. However, i honestly do not think everyone here is seeing the full view to this.

Sure the in game IRC chat maybe ****, but it honestly helps the new users. Even sometimes for users to find scrims if needed, general help, how to's, links to updates and so forth. What is better, what i noticed with the ut2004 client is if the user is playing a game and still connected to IRC it would show in their Away status what server they were located on with a "username is away: unreal2004://12.24.11.22:7777". A little gem i find useful if my friend need to find the connect info, all they have to do is whois my in game nick on irc and bam, there's the info!

Seriously think about it in the wide view, not your personal thoughts about the IRC section of the unreal series.

What i suggest is to simplify the IRC in game client. Meaning, a how to quickly choose to connect to irc.

I REALLY hope this does not go unread. Just my thoughts.

Comment

Originally posted by xi0s View Post
                        NNS is only good if you don't know how to write your own scripts. I *do* know how to write my own scripts, in mIRC and XChat. So NNS fails as far as I'm concerned

Originally posted by KriLL3.8™ View Post
                        Chatzilla > *

The ability to write your own CSS for the output just crushes everything else.
                        With my current knowledge, I could write a mIRC script that can interpret a CSS file for output. Wouldn't be too hard, really, just intercept the RAWs and format it according to a CSS file of the user's choice. I'm sure the same thing is more than possible in XChat, which supports 5 languages (Perl, Python, Ruby, TCL, C); or, since it's open source, you can take it a step further and hard-code CSS support if you want

So you can't do that with any other IRC client out of the box to my knowledge, but it's certainly doable with some scripting knowledge.

Comment

I buy UT to play UT, not multi-player notepad, so it does not matter to me.

Comment

Originally posted by bctrainers View Post
                            Before this topic goes off rails, might as well add in my two cents...

UT's in game IRC chat i honestly think is key to the game. New users seemingly go to the chat first rather than anything else. Sure the more experienced users use mIRC and so forth to find stuff on the IRC world. However, i honestly do not think everyone here is seeing the full view to this.

Sure the in game IRC chat maybe ****, but it honestly helps the new users. Even sometimes for users to find scrims if needed, general help, how to's, links to updates and so forth.
                            In the past, I've invited people on public servers to come to IRC and to try a pug match and often they have no idea what IRC is. A built-in UT IRC browser, especially the one that was in UT 2004, would make it very easy for IRC noobs to get started with it and to discover the broader UT enthusiast community.

------------------------
                            "We need one more person for a CTF match, want to try playing a clan-match like scrim?"

"OK. What do I do?"

"We're in IRC channel so-and-so."

"What's IRC?"
                            ------------------------

"Say, you're pretty good. I've seen you playing here on Public Server so-and-so and you seem like a good guy. Have you ever thought about joining a clan? We have some openings."

"Haven't thought about it much. I don't know where to find the clans. What do clans do, exactly?"

"Why don't you come over to our IRC channel after this map and I'll tell you all about it. Come to Server #Channel."

"Um, what's IRC?"
                            -------------------------

Comment

Working...
                            X