Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What? No built-in IRC browser? Gah! I love the built in IRC browser!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What? No built-in IRC browser? Gah! I love the built in IRC browser!

• Zerb_Riss: will the PC version have built in IRC chat and an in-game music player?
    [Epic]DrSiN: Zeb no, sorry no build in IRC chat.
    [Epic]DrSiN: Most people just used MIRC anyway.
    Zerb_Riss: np, in game music player?
    [Epic]DrSiN: Not for ship, but it might come later if there is a real demand. Honestly (and remember I wrote the UT2K4 music player) I prefer to use WinAmp
    Let me be the first person to come out and kindly request that a good built in IRC browser (that won't constantly lose its connection) be included with a patch.

Why? Because oftentimes I don't want to have to constantly minimize-maximize in order to move between UT and IRC and back to UT. I also like being able to receive IRC private messages in UT and I like the feature of being able to click on a UT server address in IRC and be instantly transported to the server.

For example, I often play on public servers while waiting for PUG matches to fill up with 10 players and I like to check the IRC channel every so often and to receive private messages about when the match has filled. Also, if you're playing a mod like Invasion where you can end up having to sit "OUT" for a couple minutes if you die early in a waive, IRC is a quick form of entertainment.

I'd also love it if the game came with a rudimentary server browser or some sort of a way to browse the Internet (without minimizing) using an outside browser.

Then again, I want the moon, I suppose. All we can reasonably ask for is for UT3 to be good and I'll be happy as long as the game is fun and if thousands of people play online at once.

It's called Xfire, bro.

Comment

Hm i just got irc on my other monitor so I dont really care. Never really used it

Comment

I liked to convert my mp3's to ogg's. I'd listen sadistically to the Carpenters - "Top Of The World" on Frostbite shooting from the Raptor above. That song in UT2K4 made me a Top Gun every time. LOL

Comment

TBH i just use the in game Server chat "t" ... what more do u want? jam on it?

Comment

In game IRC is a great way to foster a community. Anywhere from Mod channels to Instagib to anything really.

Comment

If only xfire added IRC support instead of just chat support. I don't know why game developers seem to ignore IRC when it is the communication choice for the majority of the on-line gaming community.

Comment

Originally posted by Sourpuss View Post
                I like the feature of being able to click on a UT server address in IRC and be instantly transported to the server.
                There were scripts for mIRC that did this in all of the previous unreal games. Most likely, there will be another one after release

Comment

Let me be the first to admit, I joined the Epic IRC interview using the UT2004 IRC client!

Comment

mirc ftw...

Comment

TBH they already have so much in the game, and are bringing so much to the table with this title, I dont really give 2 **** 's about the small stuff, I say take it at face value and enjoy it, dont nit pick it to death. Come on guys, were all experienced fans (most of us) and we all know that eventually, someone will add all those features we want, that maybe not coming at launch.

TBH, Im going to guess that MOST of them will be added, just a matter of time!

Comment

Originally posted by bdy- View Post
                        In game IRC is a great way to foster a community. Anywhere from Mod channels to Instagib to anything really.
                        Seriously had it not been for this thread I would not have known anybody actually used the in game IRC.

You have mIRC and Xfire. Do you really need Epic to make something that's in game but lacks the features of the other 2?

Comment

Originally posted by X-Cannon View Post
                          You have mIRC and Xfire. Do you really need Epic to make something that's in game but lacks the features of the other 2?
                          I am referring to in-game (i.e., while playing) IRC functionality much like what Xfire does. Monitoring your IRC channel for reports of problem players on your servers, pickup games and etc. is extremely handy; especially for clans. I remember Quake 3 had an add-on that worked like this.

Overall though, I think if you are in a game you should play and not chat. Also, I agree for normal use you should use a full featured IRC client, but basic IRC functionality modeled like standard in-game chat should be very simple to implement and would be, IMHO, a nice feature.

I don't think suggesting features you would like, I am a programmer and I appreciate constructive ideas myself, insults in any way all the great work the developers have done. I am sure they plan to enhance and refine the game long after the initial release as well: Is that nit picking too?

Comment

Note: I'm a channel operator in #ut on irc.utchat.com, I (recently) chill in #unrealed on irc.enterthegame.com, and I'm in many pug and clan channels on UTChat and irc.gameradius.com. That said...

Originally posted by Sourpuss View Post
                            Let me be the first person to come out and kindly request that a good built in IRC browser (that won't constantly lose its connection) be included with a patch.
                            UBrowser sucks and has always sucked. UT's never had a "good" IRC browser. Although, I've never heard complaints of it always losing it's connection. I've never had such problems with it.

TTS enabled by default in 2k4 was annoying, though.

Why? Because oftentimes I don't want to have to constantly minimize-maximize in order to move between UT and IRC and back to UT. I also like being able to receive IRC private messages in UT and I like the feature of being able to click on a UT server address in IRC and be instantly transported to the server.
                            So play the game when you want to play the game, or chat on IRC when you want to chat on IRC. If you want to be notified if someone PMs you on IRC or says your name, script a highlighter (or download one) that plays a wav file or beeps or something. Being able to click a UT server to join it is the only useful thing about UT's built-in IRC. But like someone said, there are scripts for your other IRC clients to launch the game and join the server.

For example, I often play on public servers while waiting for PUG matches to fill up with 10 players and I like to check the IRC channel every so often and to receive private messages about when the match has filled. Also, if you're playing a mod like Invasion where you can end up having to sit "OUT" for a couple minutes if you die early in a waive, IRC is a quick form of entertainment.
                            Again, get a highlighter. And if you're "out", window the game if you're so desperate for that 1-2 minutes of chat.

I'd also love it if the game came with a rudimentary server browser or some sort of a way to browse the Internet (without minimizing) using an outside browser.
                            No. Just, no. It's a fúcking game, not a web browser.

Then again, I want the moon, I suppose. All we can reasonably ask for is for UT3 to be good and I'll be happy as long as the game is fun and if thousands of people play online at once.
                            You want useless (IRC) and ridiculous (Web) features, in any case. I'm pretty sure the game will be quite fun, and will have an online fanbase even larger than the previous incarnations of the title

Originally posted by bdy- View Post
                            There is an IRC community. And you know what? 90%+ of that community do *not* use the hideous UBrowsers. Almost all of them, yes, puggers included, use third-party IRC clients. You don't need to load up the game just to chat with people about maps and mods. Most of them don't.

Originally posted by AFG34 View Post
                            mirc ftw...
                            XChat > mIRC

Comment

^Everything about this post is WRONG

Comment

Working...
                              X