No announcement yet.

No Crossplatform play at launch--answered by Mark Rein

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@magwill, that's because you read it in the other way around (should have thought of that, my bad). A PS3 is specially designed for gaming (it can do other things as well but graphs are it's best points, guess we can all live with that point of view), while a PC (at least if you do something next to gaming) has to do other stuff as well.

In my example I ment the PS3 being the "quad core" and the regular PC as being the "1,5 Ghz". I know it sounded the other way around, that is my bad, as i said before. Most of us have bought a new PC already or will buy one soon with the low dollar, PC parts are quite cheap in the Netherlands so new technologies are affortable.

In my opinion there is too many difference for the moment between the "standard" PC and the PS3, based on graph performance that is why I still can't see how you can combine those anyway, in a fair way. PC market isn't that well developed to keep up with the consoles, but that is just my view.

I'm not totaly against having PS3 UT gamers, the more UT'ers the marrier, but I'm having a hard mind on it, at least for the moment (e.g. the game servers, fairplay, extra patches, extra costs).

Time will create it's own solution I guess and otherwise I'm shure there will stand up a great programmer that finds a solution if there is a market. But for the moment I'm against having the PS3 players on the normal servers, cause it will be hard enough for us to change from UT'99 to UT3 with the servers, skins and all the extra load of work we got. First start walking before you start running.

When it runs properly and they found a good and fair balance for PS3 v.s. PC, then at least I'm ready to welcome the new group of players, but i don't know about the rest. It would possible give a great impulse to UT3 sales as well I guess to wait a little with the crossplatform.

Comment

Originally posted by KriLL3.8™ View Post
      I don't even want to image how you dodge using a stick, a gamepad is more comfortable if you have a uncomfortable keyboard and mouse, everyone doesn't, and there isn't any advantage in using a gamepad, I use a Nostromo n52 instead of a keyboard, very comfortable and so is my MX1000 mouse.
      I'm not everyone, and my discomfort has been with the majority of Keyboards and Mice that I have used, it's physical, not mental, as my fingers cramp and lockup after periods of use on a keyboard while gaming. I get this sometimes with Control Pads but nowhere near as often.

By the way I dodge just fine thanks, like I said you get used to advantages and disadvantages after a while and figure out ways around them. This isn't a debate as to which is better, I just awnsered a posters question and gave my reasons as to why I use one, sorry if that bothers you.

Comment

Originally posted by Unreal Havoc View Post
        I'm not everyone, and my discomfort has been with the majority of Keyboards and Mice that I have used, it's physical, not mental, as my fingers cramp and lockup after periods of use on a keyboard while gaming. I get this sometimes with Control Pads but nowhere near as often.

By the way I dodge just fine thanks, like I said you get used to advantages and disadvantages after a while and figure out ways around them. This isn't a debate as to which is better, I just awnsered a posters question and gave my reasons as to why I use one, sorry if that bothers you.
        I've had similar problems with using a keyboard. With large hands, gaming for long periods is uncomfortable. I've thought about getting a nostromo, but it looks like I would have the same issue on it. Do folks usually use the Directional pad for movement on those?

Comment

Fairness and balancing has little to do with PC vs PS3, since PS3ers will also have
          access to keyboards and mice.

Should the PS3ers with k/m also be be put on separate servers then?

The keyboard/mouse argument for a split is as irrelevant as the patch one.

Comment

A gamepad is nice for games that need gradual control, like a racing game, flight sim, platform game etc, a FPS doesn't need gradual control, you're either moving in a direction or you aren't, and a mouse is infinitely better to aim with than a analog stick, I also get cramps in my hands if I haven't played for long periods of time in a long time and then out of the blue play a couple of hours of UT2004, it's natural, but it goes away if you make your hands used to it.

Originally posted by hackdroot View Post
            I've thought about getting a nostromo, but it looks like I would have the same issue on it. Do folks usually use the Directional pad for movement on those?
            No, you don't use it for direction, the WASD/ESDF keys are used for movement, the d-pad is where your thumb rests and good for jump/crouch/use/etc, here is my layout:

[shot]http://img240.imageshack.us/img240/5870/layoutrk1.jpg[/shot]

I really recommend trying it before buying unless you can return it cheaply/free, I got an averange sized palm but quite short fingers, and it fits me perfectly, some of my friends really like it and some have hands that plain don't fit.

Comment

Yeah get Mouse and Keyboard for PS3 ............ you'll play allot beta ^_^

Comment

A gamepad is nice for games that need gradual control, like a racing game, flight sim, platform game etc, a FPS doesn't need gradual control, you're either moving in a direction or you aren't, and a mouse is infinitely better to aim with than a analog stick, I also get cramps in my hands if I haven't played for long periods of time in a long time and then out of the blue play a couple of hours of UT2004, it's natural, but it goes away if you make your hands used to it.
                So I should put myself through physical pain and discomfort just to enjoy a game? Is that what people are saying? Thanks, but no thanks. I have my preference and it serves me well enough. I'm not sitting here preaching what control periphiral is and isn't better, to be honest I really don't care. All I care about is what control periphiral is best for me, and comfort will always come first over anything else.

Comment

Yes you're allowed to use what ever you wish, but you also have to admit that a mouse is better to aim with on a FPS game than an analog stick, which means your preference is limiting your gaming.

Why else make keyboard and mouse an option for PS3 users?

Comment

Yes you're allowed to use what ever you wish, but you also have to admit that a mouse is better to aim with on a FPS game than an analog stick, which means your preference is limiting your gaming.
                    Like I said I'm not debating which is better, only which is more comfortable for me to use. I play to have fun, not to be the uber l33t hardcore player PC gamers expect everyone to be here, something I find very hard to do when I get cramps and lockups in my fingers and hands when playing for anything over 30 mins using a Keyboard and Mouse.

Comment

Originally posted by danseko View Post
                      Console atm is huge. PC gaming, however, is losing attention and more or less dying.
                      The big competitions (WCG, ESWC) are removing PC games more and more from their
                      arsenal and replacing them with **** like Guitar Hero and Halo 3.

A bigger community = more profiles, more skills, more things that happen, more
                      publicity, more recognition. There's nothing negative about it.
                      UT2 was a failure in all those aspects, as it failed completely to get a proper player mass.
                      And the player mass that it had was spread out over the multiple game types.

UT3 now risks the same. Q4, the latest scifi FPS sequel, was poorly received and had
                      even less players than UT2. Q4 is now dead, ESWC was the last tournament to support
                      it, and tournaments was all that game ever had.

This, the over-detailed graphics-focused gameplay we have seen, and the lack of
                      hype from Epic (PS3+PC was the biggest hype potential of this title) smells of failure
                      from a online gamer perspective. 5-10 weeks before release and the game is ranked
                      "53 of 8,860" on Gamespot's "hype-o-meter" (usually pretty accurate)..?

Epic risks becoming more "EA" than "Blizzard" in terms of gamer acknowledgement,
                      with "decisions" like this. "Pump out a title, slap on gfx, release, done."

I'm sorry to be negative about UT3, but this is the way I see it now. Doesn't seem like
                      it was meant to be.
                      I really don't see how PC gaming is dying when I see competitions out there with pots being over 10gs and ****...

Comment

My experience is relevent here, I've played UT since unreal 1 with a joystick and mouse. Joystick to move and mouse to aim. I KNOW that this puts me at a disadvantage to keyboard/mouse users. I've recently been training myself to use a keyboard and I find it difficult because i get "finger ache" using a keyboard. Aiming is no more or less difficult i use my left hand to aim with the joystick and my right hand when using the keyboard.

I dont see how using a joypad will be competitive, i hope somehow the developers have this in hand, however I doubt it.

Comment

Working...
                        X