No Crossplatform play at launch--answered by Mark Rein

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Crossplatform play at launch--answered by Mark Rein

I was EpicFan during that chat. So I got my question answered but it wasn't what I wanted to hear lol

Anyway at least we know. I'm still getting the game on PS3 and then when I save up I'll get a new PC and play the PC version too

<@EventServices> <EpicFan> Can you confirm that there will be online multi-player cross platform play between the PS3 and PC?
    <@Zerb_Riss> or will not of course
    * ChanServ sets mode: +l 531
    * ublender (~ublender@adsl-068-209-130-040.sip.jax.bellsouth.net) has joined #beyondunreal
    * GummyBear (~bot@65.111.167. has joined #beyondunreal
    <@[Epic]IctusBrucks> Matt, Mark?
    <@MarkRein[Epic]> There will not be cross platform play at launch
    * ]x[toxikon (~fbuewfbuy@adsl-69-234-46-52.dsl.irvnca.pacbell.net) has joined #beyondunreal
    * p47r4ck^1t0_2 (~p47@74.94.197.2) has left #beyondunreal
    * Necktie44 (~Necktie@pool-68-236-249-89.hag.east.verizon.net) has joined #beyondunreal
    <@EventServices> <Max_> While on PS3, am I gonna be able to remap keyboard, adjust mouse sensitivity, etc.?
    <@MarkRein[Epic]> Allow me to elaborate on this one...
    <@Zerb_Riss> go ahead
    * Apathy (~Apathy@ip68-104-95-184.lv.lv.***.net) has left #beyondunreal
    * Maximus` (~m@horizon.on.EnterTheGame.Com) has joined #beyondunreal
    * @MarkRein[Epic] is getting a can of soda
    * TagYourIt (~jIRC@pool-71-105-172-200.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net) has joined #beyondunreal
    * virussick (~u6825051@ppp-69-219-174-74.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net) has left #beyondunreal
    * OTHERGAMES (~jaib305@adsl-067-034-105-167.sip.mia.bellsouth.net) has left #beyondunreal
    <@Zerb_Riss> MarkRein[Epic]: at your leisure
    <@MarkRein[Epic]> The biggest challenge in doing cross platform play is syncronizing the builds such that the build on the PC is 100% compatible with the build on the PS3
    * @[Epic]Dave (~dave.ewin@Epic.Employee.on.EnterTheGame.Com) Quit (Quit: )
    * Primus (~primus@adsl-70-131-92-158.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net) has left #beyondunreal
    <@MarkRein[Epic]> Unfortunately (or fortunately) when you games on console you have a lengthy certification process to go through each time you release anything new...
    * gtb (~drew@cpe-66-66-171-231.rochester.res.rr.com) has joined #beyondunreal
    * Champion (~u5967484@d57-219-251.home.cgocable.net) has left #beyondunreal
    * Champion (~u5967484@d57-219-251.home.cgocable.net) has joined #beyondunreal
    * weedman{cheeze} (~u2813201@pool-71-113-100-10.sttlwa.dsl-w.verizon.net) has left #beyondunreal
    <@MarkRein[Epic]> We looked at how this would impact our ability to respond quickly to things happening at internet speed on the PC side of the equation and realized that
    <@MarkRein[Epic]> this would not be in the best interests of our very loyal PC user base because we would constantly be holding on to updates to wait until they passed cert on the console platform
    * gokukzorrrr^afk (~SSJ-Goget@p548CF6AD.dip.t-dialin.net) has left #beyondunreal
    <@[bu]hal`> fair enough
    <@MarkRein[Epic]> Our PC fanbase is of ultimate importance to us.
    <@MarkRein[Epic]> They are our bread and butter.
    <@[bu]hal`> great answer
    <@MarkRein[Epic]> We can't let them down or compromise their experience in any way to accomodate cross platform play.
    <@EventServices> <SweetTooth> What do you guys envision as the optimal team sizes for Warfare. With CTF there is 5v5, TDM has 4v4, and ONS has 6v6. Will warfare be larger?
    * ChanServ sets mode: +l 530
    <@MarkRein[Epic]> This doesn't completely rule out adding this feature at some point in the future after the game has settled down and we've been through a few updates, but even then the likelihood is small.
    <@[bu]hal`> how about mapping the PS3 keyboard? possible?
    <@MarkRein[Epic]> So there you have it.
    * MozI (~none@cpe-24-29-54-17.nycap.res.rr.com) has left #beyondunreal
    * hexagon (~music@62.6.162.210) has joined #beyondunreal
    <@[Epic]Checker> we definately support keyboard on PS3, so I am guessing you can rebind keys.
    * ne|Zofo (~zofo@83-70-46-50.b-ras1.prp.dublin.eircom.net) has left #beyondunreal
    <@[Epic]DrSiN> Hal I think the PS3 keyboard is mappable.
    * Atropos91`TruFa (~Atropos91@84.126.40.142.dyn.user.ono.com) has joined #beyondunreal
    * Anti__ (~Anti@tide73.microsoft.com) has left #beyondunreal
    <@Zerb_Riss> and adjust sensitivity on the mouse?
    <@MarkRein[Epic]> Someone asked about cheaters previously and, while we tend not to discuss anti-cheating policies, keeping flexibility on the PC side of the equation is one of the ways we combat cheaters

He intimated that in a previous interview.

Comment

Mark i love you.

Comment

maybe epic might change its mind and give crossplatform at last seccond,.

i wonder why epic hasnt made any official announcemnet in this forum
        maybe there is still a chance like the time sony said there wouldnt bge a price cut for ps3 but then next week they ooficially anouncet that there was a cut price

Comment

MarkRein[Epic]> We can't let (PC users) down or compromise their experience in any way to accomodate cross platform play.

woot! keep your little toys away from my UT! Mark Rein for President!

Say NO to cross-platform play.

Comment

WOOOOOOOOOOOO GO MARK!

Seriously it is nice to hear that UT's real community (PC players) is getting the emphasis here. Great call, Mark.

Comment

dont get us wrong ps3 heads we will still port out maps to you for the same fun. But out community will grow to our standards. You can join us later

Comment

Originally posted by wisdomWarrior View Post
                <@[bu]hal`> great answer
                <@MarkRein[Epic]> We can't let them down or compromise their experience in any way to accomodate cross platform play.
                Hopefully that philosophy sticks when it comes to the subject of DRM.

Comment

Aw i wanted cross platform so i could play with every friend i had on ps3 ........ only 1! so its oK! but it would have been nice to have it as an option

Comment

Maybe they could make it so the PC users will have an option to choose to go to the PS3 servers and play but PS3 wont even have the option of picking a PC server. Since the PC going to PS3 would be no problem, maybe that choice would be exclusive to the PC options. Just a thought but thx for posting, good info to know ahead of time for all. I know i wanted to kick some of my friends butts from my PC and their PS3 but, oh well....

Comment

I like the idea of cross platform. It will bring more people to the online community.

Comment

Originally posted by Bersy View Post
                        Hopefully that philosophy sticks when it comes to the subject of DRM.
                        That's why I sigged a part of that statement. Will remind them.

Comment

A smart move by Epic. Now PC gamers won't have to deal with the whores of consoles and vice versa.

Comment

<@[bu]hal`> great answer
                            Man its nice to here someone still loves us. So far this season only UT3 and Crysis are catering to our PC needs.

Comment

There are so many, in my opinion idiots, who only care about themselves and say no to the PS3 because they feel that their precious developers should only be there for them and that every positive thing for the consoles means less time for the PC.

You should start thinking about others and stop being such egoists.

Furthermore, the solution is simple. I do not know all the details about this certification process, but saying that this is making it hard for them to have cross platform seems very unreasonable.

From what I understand, the console versions has to wait longer for each patch before they can distribute them to the consoles. Epic does not want to wait for this to release a patch to the PC users; fair enough. Now the thing is, whether we have cross play or not, the console users will still have to wait THE EXACT SAME AMOUNT OF TIME, before they can receive their update. So if we let the PC players get their updates when they are ready,and update the consoles when the patch has been through the certification process, there will be times where both have the same version which means you should be able to play together.

This means that the PC players can play up-to-date all the time, the console players get their update as fast as possible, and lets say 50% of the time both games have the same version number meaning that you can play together in the end without anyone being sad.

Now having studied Software Engineering, I know Epic might have too much work on the table and this problem with the certification might be a trigger to letting cross platform go for the moment as they need time to fix more important things before the release. But if they do have time, I think this should be implemented. After some time the patches won't be very frequent I think, and then you would be able to play for longer periods of time crossplatform. And now that I think about it, this might be exactly what they are waiting for before they implement cross platform. They know they will most likely have to make a lot of patches in the start, and that the certification process would not give much cross platform time then, and therefore they will wait and make a judgment when the game has stabilized whether to include it or not.

I still believe Epic would like to implement it, should the technology and procedures allow them.

Comment

Working...
                              X