Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Originally posted by Modulus View Post
    Symmetry is fine... But add some boxes or something to the main room where most of the fighting will take place for cover. And make sure it's big enough to hold 8 dodging players. Or keep it the size it is and make it into a rocket arena map.
    ok, just curious, and thanks for your support, but about how big will be space enough for 8 dodging players?

Thanks everyone... keep it coming.!

im working on a rather interesting 'trap' right now... anyone know where some good warpzone tutorials are? thanks

Leave a comment:

• replied
    UT99 makes the gameplay fun.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Sniper towers, lots of them

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by KriLL3.8™ View Post
    A CTF map should be symmetrical
    A DM map shouldn't be.
    Hmmm CTF map Should be symetrical to a digree.. gotta have some sort of advantage on the map near middle for them to fight over...

Like ut99 November had afew.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    DM maps with tight hallways where the walls close in on you...small rooms where the floor dissappears from beneath ur feet leading to a pit of lava....a pressure chamber......TRAPS!!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by l-_-l View Post
    lol, i think i made it too symmetrical .... it was 4way symmetrical.
    Symmetry is fine... But add some boxes or something to the main room where most of the fighting will take place for cover. And make sure it's big enough to hold 8 dodging players. Or keep it the size it is and make it into a rocket arena map.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I'm sure there's a lot of good advice above... I would like to add one more bit of advice as well.

Keep it simple. No need to add hallways and elevators and junk everywhere. In UT99:RA one of the maps that gets a lot of play time is the box map. It's a box... That's all... And it's still fun!

I would suggest that you get a concept and after putting something rough together you go back and try to simplify all of it. All that's needed is 3 or 4 areas of contention and 2-3 angles of attack on each of those spaces. Any more than that and as a player you're now fighting the map and your opponents... Which is never fun, imo.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by KriLL3.8™ View Post
    A DM map shouldn't be.
    lol, i think i made it too symmetrical .... it was 4way symmetrical.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Well this is a tricky question to respond to. Coming from the tdm standpoint and using 2k4 as a reference what makes a map fun? Fun to me is a map that plays well in competition. Grendelkeep is no fun in that sense, it is a gorefest for the team that fails to lock down the lg. So I guess for me, with as much as is possible wrt. 2k4, I'd say fun is a map that by design helps avert a blowout.

From chats with my teammates I have to reiterate some of the info they shared with me when I asked roughly the same question you are asking....first off, 2k4 the maps are big so in terms of controlling rooms (as was common in 99) the shift went to controlling an item through timing vs. controlling a room that contained an item.

So to the heart of what I am saying in this is that you shouldn't make (imo) any design ideas that you are not willing to break later when UT3 comes out....in other words only make a framework in terms of sketches, etc of you map based on the gametype you are shooting for if you want to start now. This of course applies more strongly to TDM where the gameplay depends greatly on items and their placement. CTF, and (some others) the objective is clear...but keep in mind if you are thinking about integrating pu's and such into the map keep an open mind. You do have a start though, armor has been cited for the game:

"Q: <sho`> What`s the armor system set to be like and what other Powerups are there this time around?
    A: [EPIC]Mysterial> Shield: 100, Chest: 50, Thighpads: 30, Helmet: 20
    <[Epic]Checker> Berzerk (double fire rate) amp, redeemer
    <[BU]Dark_Pulse> How about the helmet? Does it absorb a headshot, or simply make it normal damage while "eating" it?
    * billiarddaddy3 has left #beyondunreal
    <[Epic]Checker> prevents a headshot for sure.
    <[EPIC]Mysterial> headshot becomes zero if you have at least 1 helmet armor (and the helmet armor goes away)"

But my advice to you would be to pick from the start which direction you want the map to go. Either make it for pubs or for competition and use that as your design philosophy. Don't try to mix them. Chances are if you build a great competitive map that people will still put it on pub rosters and play it. But not the other way around.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    A DM map shouldn't be.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by l-_-l View Post
    Hello everyone!

I am planning on making some maps for UT3. and i was just wondering what makes the game fun to you , as players of Unreal.? What little things make the map simply awesome, so you can play it 100 times and still not be bored?

Thanks for your opinion and support!
    Well, I can tell you what type of things make maps not so much fun. Avoiding those things will go a long way at making a map great. I will stick to ONS game type.

- Placing a defensive turrent in a totally useless location like many many ONS maps do
    - Places where a vehicle gets stuck in a structure like a wall or bridge
    - Places where vehicles just get stuck or hit invisable barriers
    - Too many or not enough of a certain weapon
    - Power core without enough vehicles or weapons to even have a chance of a counter attack, like crossfire for example
    - Bad BOT paths, narrow walkways or passages that bots cannot navigate
    - Making the leviathan the key to victory, gets old very fast. At least have a no levi version
    - Making the map so asymetric that one side has an advantage over the other due to terrain, vehicles, weapons, etc.

I am sure there are many more ways to insure a map gets removed from the play list.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by unrealkiller View Post
    i think map should be symmetrical and easy to remember all the places easily. so that i can know where are all the enemies at.
    lol, i did a symmetrical map and everyone screamed " you shouldn't make it symmetrical"

although i agree with the easy to remember, none of this weird winding tight corridors that take you in a circle.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    i think map should be symmetrical and easy to remember all the places easily. so that i can know where are all the enemies at.

Leave a comment:

• replied

^
    |

semi irrelevant

anyway.... what are your opinions on a huge map that has all the weapons vs a smaller map with just a few. [im thinking ctf or dm here]

Leave a comment:

• replied
    You've obviously never had an *****... 'cause you'll be on the pot for 9 hours afterward.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X