Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What makes the gameplay fun?

Hello everyone!

I am planning on making some maps for UT3. and i was just wondering what makes the game fun to you , as players of Unreal.? What little things make the map simply awesome, so you can play it 100 times and still not be bored?

Thanks for your opinion and support!

Good flow, all places you go you should have a wide option of places you can get to easily, all rooms should have 2 or more exits, except perhaps where super pickups are like the big shield and deemer etc.

Avoid the room, corridor, room syndrome, make the rooms flow into each other, with overlap as to reduce the feel of stacked shoe boxes.

Multi level, there should be more than 1 "floor" to your map and each room should have more than one level inside it.

The most played maps in UT2 DM-Rankin and DM-Deck(#?) both fit this model very well, you shouldn't make a copy of either, but you can take hints from both.

Comment

U could also buy the book Mastering Unreal Technology and the UT3 version of this book when its released. It tells you a lot about everything in UT. There are a loooooot of things to look out for to make a perfect map

Comment

Yeah... for a map to be both fun and have replay value, like Krill said, it has to flow:

Flow basically means that the way the map is laid out, and where pickups are placed, you always have somewhere to go, and a reason to go there... In the process, you use most (if not ALL) of the map.

Good Flow example for 2k4: DM-Goose. The PuPs are spaced out to where it is impossible for 1 team (or player) to control them all at all times. Also, you end up traversing the entire map getting weapons, powerups, etc... It's use of multiple routes means you can usually get to where you want to go in a timely manner.

Bad Flow example 2k4: DM-IronDeity. The amp, shock, LG, health, vials, and 100a are all located on the same upper level in very close proximity... A team or player can easily control the map by camping the top level and going NO WHERE ELSE. By being to able to dominate the map without traversing most of it, this map has poor flow.

Hope that helps

Comment

Originally posted by KriLL3.8™ View Post
          Good flow, all places you go you should have a wide option of places you can get to easily, all rooms should have 2 or more exits, except perhaps where super pickups are like the big shield and deemer etc.

Avoid the room, corridor, room syndrome, make the rooms flow into each other, with overlap as to reduce the feel of stacked shoe boxes.

Multi level, there should be more than 1 "floor" to your map and each room should have more than one level inside it.

The most played maps in UT2 DM-Rankin and DM-Deck(#?) both fit this model very well, you shouldn't make a copy of either, but you can take hints from both.
          That's about as close as you can get to copying CliffyB's blog word-for-word

Comment

Originally posted by booshack View Post
            That's about as close as you can get to copying CliffyB's blog word-for-word
            I haven't even read his blog.

Comment

for me what makes a MP map fun:

- the setting i.e. look n feel, for ex, grendelkeep, egypt like maps, space settings, etc.
              - the music. DM-Rankin for ex has awesome music.
              - the layout of the map must be balanced, especially CTF and ONS/Warfare maps.
              - other interesting stuff like things on the map, for ex: in gears a map called train station has a train passing through it and u must cross with care.
              - there must be a sweet spot on the map where every one wants to go - kinda hot spot where fight is usually concentrated, especially for DM. for ex: in liandri of UT, every one comes out to the centre (usually).
              - size of the map... combat must be interesting no matter how many players play 4, 8, 16, etc. a good example, CTF - Grassyknoll, DM - Rankin, etc.

cheers.

Comment

Thank you all I will definitely keep this in mind..!

[since i only have the base ut2K4 installed, if you WANT to provide links to extra maps please do so *as examples only* ]

thank you!

Comment

There's some good stuff in here too.

Comment

There is FUN and there is WELL MADE

Fun maps do something wacky and innovative with the gametype and have unique artistic characteristics (like AS-CommandandMario or AS-SuperSmashTrials)

Maps like that aren't really made for competition, but are fun to play.

A well made map has good flow, lack of choke points, and simple design. Competitive maps (imo) aren't that 'fun' to play, but make competition more enjoyable.

Comment

Super Fast pace.

Comment

make this thread after the demo is released

Comment

Originally posted by Mort_Q View Post
                          There's some good stuff in here too.
                          Thank you much!!!!

Originally posted by Drintion View Post
                          There is FUN and there is WELL MADE

Fun maps do something wacky and innovative with the gametype and have unique artistic characteristics (like AS-CommandandMario or AS-SuperSmashTrials)

Maps like that aren't really made for competition, but are fun to play.

A well made map has good flow, lack of choke points, and simple design. Competitive maps (imo) aren't that 'fun' to play, but make competition more enjoyable.
                          Which is better?

Comment

well i can tell you this, i made a bootleg map called halloween arena, and it has become a staple in many IG TDM games. Its a really simple rat style map of the inside of a pumpkin, Orange walls, makes it easy to see target no mods needed or bright skins, with a burning candle in the middle to prevent people from across the map spawn shooting. I originally made it on a whim since it was halloween at the time, little did i know it would become such a major map in the game type. with over 40k+ matches played on the several renamed alterations of the map its up there on the list of most played maps for 2k4 and some of 2k3.

So yeah like the previous poster said competition style maps, keep em simple with a theme. Fun maps go crazy.

Traps, teleporters, crazy jump pads. I even made a weird map call all must die as a test map where there was a ion target painter on top of a immense building. IT wook at least 4 teleports straight up with a heavy terminal velocity in the map, which spawned once in the map during the game, Very hard to get but the catch was first person to use it would kill everyone in the map except for them.

It was a massive map and it took 10 ion cannonswith modified blast radius's and dmg. all linked up to work. ITs funny

Anywhere you marked on the map would trigger all cannons to fire completely killing off all life

Comment

Have dodge in mind. Make gaps and such that u can dodge over. multi-levels and both big and small rooms. Check DM-Nitro for UT99. Prime example of a great custom tdm map.

edit::

Also avoid using stairs and steps. Elevetors are so much more fun:]

Comment

Working...
                              X