Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plugins for 3d programs / Easy integration with editor

Hey everyone,

One think I'd like to see in UT3 or in a subsequent release/update is some easy way to import something designed in 3dstudio max for example as a mesh into the editor.. I'm relatively proficient in 3dmax through architecture school and have done some mapping for ut99/2k4 before, and would love to make some maps for ut3 with all the tasty technical features its very exciting! Can epic comment on any such integration?

I remember one interview where cliffy said that alot of the architecture for gears of war was done in max, is this the same for ut3?

I seem to remember UT200x supported maya quite well. Obviously maya isn't max (duh!). I've used both in the past and either way a transition from one to the other isn't complicated.

What format does max export to?

Comment

max can export to quite a few formats..3ds i guess is the most common one. And your right yea maya was quite functional with ut2004, but maya is complicated as hell! I (and im guessing heaps of others who already know one program eg lightwave, 3dsmax, softimage) dont want to have to learn maya just to get a mesh into the editor! This is where VTMs might have been useful in the CE on how to make normal maps on your meshes etc for use in the engine.. maybe it will be easier now that autodesk (the creators of max) have acquired maya also?

Comment

Isn't there a plugin out there to export from 3dmax for UT?

Maybe you can find something usefull here.

Comment

If you are creating skeletal meshes and animations, use Actor X, available for Max, Maya & XSI. If you are exporting regular meshes you need to export ASE format.

Actor X is available at http://udn.epicgames.com

Comment

I exported from Max to UT2k4 a few times, but it was a real pain in the *!%£
            Texturing and lighting them was the worst thing. Actually making the models is easy.
            You are right tho, Maya is far harder to use than Max, but also more powerful I think - power that isn't required for UT meshes.

Comment

I'd love to be able to import/export to/from Blender (I don't know what people are always trippin' on, I love the program AND it's interface tyvm).

Comment

plugins for 3ds Max / Maya would be nice to have.

Comment

the pc version of ut3 comes with a toolkit to make mods

Comment

i just think this is quite important, alot of map designers will want to make custom meshes with all the new engine features making mapping standards alot higher etc. As a previous poster said there have been issues with importing from max-->ue3, if this could be streamlined as much as possible the quality of maps/mods coming out would potentially be alot higher IMO

Comment

Working...
                    X