Gfx card question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gfx card question

I know the tech specs havnt been released yet. Im looking to upgrade my gfx card. Im currently running an ati x600, which is very weak.

Im looking at the Geforce 8500 Gt and 8600 Gts but iv read some reviews which also put these cards down as poor. Would i be better getting the ATI x1950 or one of the 8000 series cards (disregarding 8800 due to price) Or have you got any other suggestions for a pritty decent gfx card (bearing in mind im a student and the most i can really afford is £110)

Thanks for your time.

Willmagic

x1950 pro sounds like the best. some advice always try and buy a highend or previously highend card. they are always better then the budget cards from the newest line of cards. so if i were you i would search for a good online shop that ships a x1900 kind of ati or a 7900 (atleast gt) kind of card from nvidia.

Comment

GeForce 8500 isn't weak, but it's not going to run UT3 at highest settings, even in a very beefy PC. So get something "600" series or better. Preferably "800" or "900" to ensure you'll be able to run at max settings. That _is_ outside your budget, however.

My recommendation is for you to save up, my friend.

Comment

Thanks guys, ill take that on board, iv been shopping around and iv found a x1950 pro for about £80 so ill probably buy that. Im not really looking to play ut3 at max, i just want to be able to play it.

@ Ultron, do you know how the x1950 compares to the 8500? im really just looking for best i can get for my money.

Thanks guys

Comment

http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/09/...for_the_money/

that one should help you somewhat.

Comment

afaik the 8800 is the way to go - 320MB version if youre on 1024x768 and below, and the 640MB version if you're above that. Save up for this if you can.

One other tip, don't upgrade until the game is out, and you've seen the benchmark articles, played around a bit for yourself, and done some more post-release research... Thats the only way you can really be sure you're getting the right bang for the right buck.

Comment

Thanks for the help guys

Comment

this should help you visualize how different configurations might perform:

http://utforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=577457

Comment

Originally posted by Willmagic View Post
                  I know the tech specs havnt been released yet. Im looking to upgrade my gfx card. Im currently running an ati x600, which is very weak.

Im looking at the Geforce 8500 Gt and 8600 Gts but iv read some reviews which also put these cards down as poor. Would i be better getting the ATI x1950 or one of the 8000 series cards (disregarding 8800 due to price) Or have you got any other suggestions for a pritty decent gfx card (bearing in mind im a student and the most i can really afford is £110)

Thanks for your time.

Willmagic
                  Here is a benchmark chart;

http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphi...=854&chart=283

Different cards perform differently according to what they have to do. Find the cards on the chart in your price range and compare them. You can look at many benchmark from that link. Take your time and make an informed decision. Probably best to wait until after the xmass holidays when prices drop on new cards or as long as you can. You can also get a used card like a 7950 GT off ebay for pretty cheap. In any case, new or used, I recommend 512mb or more memory.

Comment

Originally posted by Willmagic View Post
                    @ Ultron, do you know how the x1950 compares to the 8500? im really just looking for best i can get for my money.
                    x1950 should do much better, but will be more expensive. Think of it this way: You have basic types of engines: 4 cylinder, 6 cylinder and 8 cylinder. The 400 and below series are 4 cylinder, 600 or so series are 6 cylinder, and 800+ are 8 cylinder. Then you might have integrated video which might be 100 or 200. Those don't count really. Scooter engines.

So that's what you look for. A 8500 is problably a GeForce 8 series 4 or 6 cylinder engine. Decent, but you can do better.

Do better. Save a little cash, get a better card. You'll future proof your system towards playing more, better, games.

Comment

Just for some perspective:

I have a GeForce 8600M GT. It's a laptop card, so it's down a notch or two from the PC version. And it's 128MB graphics memory. It runs UT2004 at full settings, 1440x900. caps out online (or stays in the 75-85(cap) range) and offline it's well over 150fps. So even the 320MB 8600 for the PC would probably fare pretty well.

Comment

I agree--never buy a "budget" video card. Always buy one of the near-top end cards, and if you're looking for value, buy the previous generation's top-end or near-top-end card. The x1950 Pro and x1950xt blow away the newer budget cards for near similar prices. Ditto for the 7950 GT and 7900 GTX.

Also--do NOT shop at bricks 'n' mortar retail stores. Video cards there are always about double the price of what you'll find online. Sometimes I look at the prices at bricks 'n' mortar stores and say to myself, "Wow, for that same price I could get three times the power if I purchased online."

Your best bet for a video card value (and in general) is to shop at http://www.Newegg.com and http://www.ZipZoomFly.com

Comment

^repeat exctly what Sourpuss said.

Comment

online > retail

Comment

What about brands... Thats where I always get lost.

Comment

Working...
                              X