movement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

movement

Will ut3 include "strafe jumping" and "air control" movement like q3 cpma or will there be a mod which will include theese features? I think a modern competetive fps shooter needs fast movement. Would be nice if someone can answer my question.

well, may not be able to help too much. But:

having started playing Q3 recently again, the movement in that is far faster, and the gameplay is far faster (that UT/UT2k3/2k4). The air control tbh feels like UT/2k3/2k4, no difference.

overall, the impression I've got is that UT3 is like a cross between UT2k4 and Q3... some will flame me for this. Its just an opinion.

Comment

Hope so. cause thats the reason why i fell inlove with UT series. I think its more complex and fast faced than any FPS out there in terms of jumping/dodging.

Does anyone here knows if wall dodging/jump is going to be back in UT3?

Comment

AFAIK, jumping and dodging is going to more like UT99, so they say.. We will have to wait and see exactly what they mean by that...

Personally, I just hope double jump and double strafe jump is gone and the single dodge be more improved, fatster maybe.

Comment

I just hope double jump and double straff jump is gone and the single dodge be more improved, fatster maybe.
          double jump and double strafe jump are both gone... and (i assume) they will have tweaked all other jumpy-wise movement to counteract for this and not leave die hard 2k4ers feeling lost.

Comment

Originally posted by isp_of_doom View Post
            double jump and double strafe jump are both gone... and (i assume) they will have tweaked all other jumpy-wise movement to counteract for this and not leave die hard 2k4ers feeling lost.
            I wonder why there is so much misinformation?

Doublejump is in. Dodgejump is out.

And what is a double strafe jump ? (a double jump while strafing... ...that would be still in)

Comment

Originally posted by fuegerstef View Post
              And what is a double strafe jump ? (a double jump while strafing... ...that would be still in)
              No double jump = No double strafe jump.

UT2k4's jumping made the game a little overboard, while most ppl did like it, myself including, it wasn't really like the original UT type of gameplay. It's a nice move IMO, my guess it could be a mutator, which would be nice.

Comment

Originally posted by ProjectUT View Post
                No double jump = No double strafe jump.
                But it is this way:

Double Jump in = Double Strafe Jump in.

Comment

I wonder why there is so much misinformation?

Doublejump is in. Dodgejump is out.
                  I'm 100% sure I read on this forum that double jump was also out. Someone mentioned that it made sense because it was too fake (being able to jump again while in mid air).

edit: oh and by double strafe jump I assumed he meant a dodge jump (press a strafe key twice quickly, followed by jump = dodge jump)

Comment

Originally posted by isp_of_doom View Post
                    I'm 100% sure I read on this forum that double jump was also out. Someone mentioned that it made sense because it was too fake (being able to jump again while in mid air).

edit: oh and by double strafe jump I assumed he meant a dodge jump (press a strafe key twice quickly, followed by jump = dodge jump)
                    WEll, EPIC said it is in. And when I played UT3, I double-jumped. That was 29 days ago. I doubt they change essential gameplay mechanics this late in the dev process.

Comment

Double jump is in. Oh yeah, a few of us like me don't like it for the same reason - the jumping a second time in mid-air. But then, I also think "skipping" in Q3A isn't sensible either.

But seeing as the only dumb UT2 move left, the double jump, is the only one that's in still, I am not complaining. And it's actually a smart decision when it comes to jump boots, since the second jump actually triggers it. That's a gameplay win for people who hated having to press the walk key and the jump key together to not superjump.

Comment

I don't think you guys understand what he meant by "strafe-jumping"

In Quake engine based games (including Half-life and Source engine games which pulled the movement code directly from the Quake engine) there is a rounding up error which allows people to accelerate by jumping and strafing at certain angles. By bunny hopping (jumping as soon as you land) you can preserve this acceleration and speed up indefinitely on each succeeding jump.

Here's an example of a jump in Quake 3 that can only be made by strafe-jumping:
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_Hoz5r0Th8

Here's a video I made of some sweet kills in CSS with a little bit of downhill strafe-jumping:
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3Rsy2ignNc

I highly doubt strafe-jumping will be including in UT3 as it originated as an engine bug and has never been an officially supported form of movement, even though it is a widely known technique throughout the competitive Quake and CS communities. Also, none of the other Unreal games have allowed for strafe-jumping.

Comment

There actually IS strafe-jumping in UT2003/4, meaning you do gain speed from doing so.

but it's still far faster to dodge-jump.

Comment

I've never been noticed any speed increase from attempting to Strafe Jump in UT2k3 or 2k4, personally. And I think it's a poor game mechanic to boost run speed that way, as it's not even intuitive. It's essentially "skipping" and I think that's just not cool. That's how I feel about it.

Comment

Originally posted by cuber View Post
                              I think its more complex and fast faced than any FPS out there in terms of jumping/dodging.
                              Well, u never touched warsow or cpma?

Comment

Working...
                              X