No announcement yet.

7900 GT -- could it handle UT3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

eBidiots, term approved and added to dictionary.

Comment

Originally posted by oldkawman1 View Post
      The 8600 series cards are mid range cards with performance lower than the 7800 and 7900 cards.

Look at the benchmarks;

http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphi...=711&chart=318

The 8600 GTS is only slightly better than the 7600GT and 6800 Ultra. It is still way below the 7800GT, 7900GS, and 7900GT and gets even worse as you go to higher resolutions.

Even the 8800 GTS with only 320MB has horrible performance at resolutions higher than 1600x1200; It's a very good card at 1600x1200 and lower resolution only.

The purpose of NEW cards like the 8600, 8500, and 8300 are just to sound cool, compete with similarly priced ATI cards and win the low and mid range buyers dollar. Pretty boxes, cool graphics, LEDs, and hype do not equal performance.
      Well supposedly running cooler, with smaller transistor sizes and more of them, and support for more graphical features. But I don't know how well that really occurs.

Comment

The 8600 series cards are mid range cards with performance lower than the 7800 and 7900 cards.

The 8600 GTS is only slightly better than the 7600GT and 6800 Ultra. It is still way below the 7800GT, 7900GS, and 7900GT and gets even worse as you go to higher resolutions.
        This is often the case with the newer, lower end cards. Sadly, most people don't realize that the previous generation's top or near top cards will often cream the newer lower end and mid-range cards when they're available for a competitive price.

Comment

Look at the benchmarks;

http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphi...=711&chart=318

Even the 8800 GTS with only 320MB has horrible performance at resolutions higher than 1600x1200; It's a very good card at 1600x1200 and lower resolution only.

The purpose of NEW cards like the 8600, 8500, and 8300 are just to sound cool, compete with similarly priced ATI cards and win the low and mid range buyers dollar. Pretty boxes, cool graphics, LEDs, and hype do not equal performance.
          Well I posted that link and already said the 7900GT was only 20% faster THAN an Overclocked 8600 GT

Originally posted by Unreal_dan View Post
          The 7900GT is 20% faster in THG, but the 8600 has DX10 and AA
          http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphi...=854&chart=318
          Get the 7900GT if it's cheaper than an OC-ed 8600GT.
          It's Performance VS. Antialiasing:
          I read some where that UT3 has AA only in Vista in DX 10
          -The 7900GT is only 20% (about 4-5 frames per second), but has DX9 (NO AA)
          -The Overclocked 8600GT has DX 10 and will have AA.

Here whare I live an OC-ed 8600GT is a lot cheaper than an 7900GT.

The person who first posted said that he will buy second hand.
          Like i said earlier if they cost the same you should chose between AA and performance.

Comment

I highly doubt that line of AA in Vista/DX10 only is true. And I don't recommend using AA unless you're running at a low resolution (1024x769 or lower).

Comment

Originally posted by Unreal_dan View Post
              Well I posted that link and already said the 7900GT was only 20% faster THAN an Overclocked 8600 GT
              That was only 20% on that one benchmark. On others it's 40% like the DOOM III;

http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphi...=854&chart=287

Both the cards are also limited due to the small memory they have, only 256MB

On this benchmark it nearly 45% slower;

http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphi...=854&chart=302

You can never depend on just a single benchmark when you compare cards. That one is an average of all the benchmarks, since the low res with the low detail benchmarks outnumber the rest it skews the rating.

Look at this one, both cards do so poorly, I doubt you could play the game at those settings. This is due to the small memory, 256 MB installed on the card.

http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphi...=854&chart=284

I recommend waiting to after the new year to purchase a video card if you plan on buying new and I recommend 512MB or higher memory. Prices always fall over time and after the new year. You can also buy over the internet at much lower prices than local shops, but depending on where you are, may have to include the cost of international shipping and how much duty you will need to pay in customs.

Comment

That benchmark is with all those games combined:
                * Battlefield 2142
                * Dark Messiah of Might and Magic
                * Doom 3
                * Microsoft Flight Simulator X
                * Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
                * Prey
                * Warhammer: Mark of Chaos
                * 3DMark06

Comment

Originally posted by Nero` View Post
                  What about an 8800 GTX superclocked? will that run ut3 on highest?
                  You're an idiot.

Comment

Originally posted by Sourpuss View Post
                    Good idea, we should try the demo. If the 7900 GT, which is a relatively powerful card that's only really surpassed by the 8800 GTS/GTX and 2900XT,
                    AND the X1950 series.

Comment

Well they're more like rivals, depending on xt, pro, or gt.

Comment

Originally posted by theeDEATHMASTER View Post
                        Well they're more like rivals, depending on xt, pro, or gt.
                        wow!! :-)

your system specs are almost the same as mine, except i'm running an X1950Pro 512mb card....

with your current system, how do you think you'll make out with your rig?? :-)

thanks,
                        CD

Comment

I wish I could say but we did see that vid of people playing on 7800's (Alienware) and it was I heard running medium setting, I'd estimate at least 1280x1024 and it was running smooth as silk. So I'd say at least that much. Hopefully at a higher resolution though.
                          Here's the vid. http://download.beyondunreal.com/fil..._ut3_01_hq.zip

Comment

Wait for the demo before you make your graphics card decision xD Might save you some money in the long run :P

Comment

click on the link to find out if and how your pc will run ut3

http://www.ut2341.com/UT3SystemScore/

I scored 25.

0-1 Fail. | 2-5 Lookit the purdy menus, maw!
                              6-10 Low Detail | 11-14 Lo-Mid | 15-18 Hi-Mid
                              19-22 High | 23-25 Higher | 26-27 Highest | 28+ Maxed!

Use this to find the best upgrades.

Comment

Hmm... hold on
                                - On those benchmarks the 8600 is using the very old ForceWare 97.92
                                - I got the 8600gt at 115€. By then the 1950pro costed 167€, it's cheaper now. The 7900gt still costs a bit more.
                                - From the default 540/1188/700, I have 660/1672/880. Usually faster than the stock GTS, due to higher shader clock
                                - I play at 1152x864 or 1280x1024 with no-AA or 2x max. I also disable shadows. This greatly reduces the memory "pressure"
                                - The 8600 has better image quality than the GF7, maybe than the ATI
                                - The 8600 has good OpenGL and Linux support.
                                - It can take cute DX10 screenshots
                                - It has that pure-video thingy with hardware decoding.

It's not more than an half-decent card, but it doesn't suck either like a lot of people say

Comment

Working...
                                X