7900 GT -- could it handle UT3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

7900 GT -- could it handle UT3?

A friend is offering to sell me his 7900 GT for a reasonable price. It seems like it would be a worthwhile upgrade over my current x800xt. Would a 7900 GT be good enough for Unreal Tournament 3? I only need to play at 1024 x 768 and medium settings.

I think it probably could. At medium settings is debatable and probably dependent on the amount of things being rendered on the screen at one time. I would suggest asking him to run it on Bioshock (or let you do so) and see the results. Bioshock is developed from the UE3 engine so yoiu might be able to get an idea, but no guarantee.

Comment

Good idea, we should try the demo. If the 7900 GT, which is a relatively powerful card that's only really surpassed by the 8800 GTS/GTX and 2900XT, then a whole lotta people are going to be forced to buy new video cards. (Could Epic be receiving kickbacks from the GPU companies and cardmakers? Maybe they should get a little something from them.)

Am I wrong, or do I remember reading at some point that the engine was optimized for the 7800 GT (which isn't as powerful as the 7900 GT)?

Comment

It will run fine. Remember most people don't have a DX10 card. Steam survey shows: "DirectX10 Systems (Vista with DirectX10 GPU) - 2.31% of users"

Comment

Originally posted by Sourpuss View Post
          Good idea, we should try the demo. If the 7900 GT, which is a relatively powerful card that's only really surpassed by the 8800 GTS/GTX and 2900XT, then a whole lotta people are going to be forced to buy new video cards. (Could Epic be receiving kickbacks from the GPU companies and cardmakers? Maybe they should get a little something from them.)

Am I wrong, or do I remember reading at some point that the engine was optimized for the 7800 GT (which isn't as powerful as the 7900 GT)?
          EPIC is always cutting edge, because it keeps the sales flowing.
          3-4 years down the line people will still be playing this game online, its a good thing this game wont look like total *** in 3-4 years.

Comment

What price? It should get you by fairly well for UT3.

Comment

Originally posted by DeusGear View Post
              It will run fine. Remember most people don't have a DX10 card. Steam survey shows: "DirectX10 Systems (Vista with DirectX10 GPU) - 2.31% of users"
              Really, jesus... I thought i'd be at least 15%. Wow.

Comment

Just be careful

Some 7900GTs have bad voltage regulators.

Make sure he's not trying to screw you with a 7900GT which overheats after 5 minutes of desktop idling.

Comment

Is there any reason why people point toward bioshock as a benchmark for the system requirements for UT3 other than because it's made with the same engine? Does that even matter all that much? I thought it had more to do with how much detail you code into your game... Not how much you COULD code into your game with a particular engine.

For all we know an entire map on Bioshock could have half as many poly's as the hat on malcoms head.

Comment

Originally posted by Modulus View Post
                    For all we know an entire map on Bioshock could have half as many poly's as the hat on malcoms head.
                    lol, best line i've seen in a while. If tht was true, then this is gonna be one detailed game.

Now to be serious. I think its not just tht its got the same engine, but tht it is in its own right a pretty detailed game. Also, Epic likes to make their games playable on as wide a range of computers as possible. While it may not match UT3, its pretty resonable to assume tht if a comp can run bioshock, it could run UT3.

Comment

Originally posted by Phopojijo View Post
                      Just be careful

Some 7900GTs have bad voltage regulators.

Make sure he's not trying to screw you with a 7900GT which overheats after 5 minutes of desktop idling.
                      Thanks for the heads up. I did some research and it sounds like the problem involved pre-overclocked cards from BFG, EVGA, and XFX.

Comment

Originally posted by Modulus View Post
                        Is there any reason why people point toward bioshock as a benchmark for the system requirements for UT3 other than because it's made with the same engine? Does that even matter all that much? I thought it had more to do with how much detail you code into your game... Not how much you COULD code into your game with a particular engine.

Yes, for the most part you're right. But I don't think anyone is saying "If you can run Bioshock in high detail then you can run UT3 in high detail". It seems to me its more along the lines of "If you can run Bioshock fairly smoothly at medium to high detail, then you got a good shot at being able to run UT3".

At least thats what it's seemed like to me..

Comment

I think you should be fine with that card. I can run bioshock with a 7900gs at good detail and good frame rate. I cant turn everything on high but did not have to sacrifice near what i thought I was going to have to. The game looks beautiful (game play sucks), so Im hoping UT3 will run fine also.

Comment

UT3 may be even more optimized than bioshock is.

Other than the fact that most of Bioshock's rendering was done for indoor environments, I think that the typical UT3 map may have even less polys per scene than Bioshock does.

Comment

Just wait for the **** demo and then buy.
                              Or get a OC-ed 8600GT with the speed of a GTS that costs as much as a GT.

Comment

Working...
                              X