Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think every platform has it's merits, and the ports don't bug me. Somehow people seem to forget computers/consoles have shared titles since the 80's.
    I've played games on both KB M, and game pad, and as someone mentioned I can get "Used" to either one. But in an FPS a mouse is a faster aimer than a stick. A KB has more buttons to macro than a controller. BUT A controller is more useful for driving vehicles. It's why those of us who bought an NFS game on the computer used a Gamepad if we didn't have a wheel.
    It's about preferences. There are a lot of reasons why one may play UT3 on the computer or a game system. Some folks like to veg out on the couch in front of a TV.
    Some like to make maps on the computer. Some like the higher resolutions of a monitor, the fact they can have several copies for their home network, and play LANS with freinds who visit. We also forget guys that some parents don't care about game ratings either through neglect, or trust (Every case is different) and "Don't want our teenager fudging up the family computer with games. That's why they got an Xbox"
    So some of the 15, and 16 year old gamers may WANT to play on a PC but CAN'T (I'm an old man at 30, and I hear this excuse every day from parents too cheap to buy a $100 video card)
    That said I like playing some games on the computer, but I like some on the Wii. I like some on the 360. etc.
    Most shooters I have more fun on the computer. Online Deathmatches aren't a hassle.
    with a LAN I don't have to have someone looking at the corner of the TV and saying "He's hiding in the rafters!"
    The few RTS games I play, are better on a computer with all of the keyboard commands.
    Racing I can play on either, Sports on either. Fighting on consoles but only because PC ports are rare. (I think MK4 was the last one)
    Action games I can play on either.
    I'm not an RPG fan, but if I were? If Wow is any indication, that's a PC win

My point is though that a video game is a video game no matter what platform.
    It's no different than the 80's when RUN would print articles about the rivalry between Commodore owners, and Atari/Nintendo/Sega owners.

So while I prefer the computer mostly, I don't hate console systems. Maybe those of you who don't play both should just swap for a week. You would see merits in all of it.
    Hell, a coworker who NEVER plays on a computer told me the other day he played WOW at a relatives, and now he's asking about what to get in a PC for games.

Sometimes I think ALL gamers need to sit down, and play Space Invaders just to remind ourselves of why we like to play games to begin with.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDeviot View Post
      Sometimes I think ALL gamers need to sit down, and play Space Invaders just to remind ourselves of why we like to play games to begin with.
      Quote of the day.

Comment

i already hav a ps3, and can't afford a pc. I'll be playing on ps3, I do agree that it'll play better on a good pc tho. Altho one of the recent magazine interviews (I forget which) said the ps3 one looks identical.

Comment

This is my biased opinion...

PC>Console ... period, the end, game over.

explaination:
          There is nothing you can do on a console that you can't do BETTER on a pc in some way shape or form. It is superior, it is upgradable, it is customizable, and it does so much more. You guys playing FPS's on the console are missing out, I can't nor do I even want to start trying to convert you, you will see the light when the ps3-PC matches start. The PC players will dominate you, you will be mad, you will call hax, but let me assure you, your concept of skill is limited by the reaction time and responsiveness of the console your playing on.

There is a term used in PC fps gaming called "Flick Shots" meaning with a simple and lightning fast flick of the wrist/click of a button; your head is removed, and you are dead. On consoles this is unatainable without a keyboard/mouse, and even then you cannot tweak settings in your OS/ini's adjust x/y accel/sens. ratios to make your controls YOUR controls. You have to adjust to what you are given and PCs will always have the upper hand.

Consoles use larger character hit maps to because accuracy can never be as fast or responsive with a controller as with a keyboard/mouse. Even with this to your advantage, you will lose, you will die, you will be dominated and made angry. Whining won't help, because your on a console.

Stop being lazy, buy it for PC, if you can own an iPod you can play this game on PC. If your pc isn't up to par, start saving, like you did for your console, upgrade it.

There is a reason Halo is looked down upon with disgust by most PC fps gamers, #1 controller, #2 no health system, #3 entirely generic gameplay. The only thing good about Halo is the story. If you hail from halo, and this is your reasoning for wanting to play UT3 on a console... because its what you're used to.... you're in for a rude awakening, the PC FPS world is ENTIRELY different. Better equiped players, highly skilled players, pro FPS players.

I am personally excited that cross platform play will be available with this game, the first true FPS to do so. All you GoW/Halo players will see the light that is PC gaming for what it is: BETTER.

Thank you Epic for this opportunity to convert more Consolers to PC gamers through the demonstration of the skill differences required for the two platforms.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkSideofOZ View Post
            On consoles this is unatainable without a keyboard/mouse, and even then you cannot tweak settings in your OS/ini's adjust x/y accel/sens. ratios to make your controls YOUR controls. You have to adjust to what you are given and PCs will always have the upper hand.
            Playstation 3. Linux.

(Proper OS with the proper control.)

Comment

Just a few reasons why I don't want to play UT3 on a console :
              • Slower gamespeed
              • Larger hitbox
              • Too less configuration options like : binds, ini tweaks, adjustable mouse sense, graphical options

I didn't listed no mouse/kb combo as the ps3 has the option to use it, but above points are enough for me to choose pc for this game.

Actually every console game could be played on pc because you can even use gamepads, sidewinders, steering wheels on it.

I don't hate consoles, I started as a console player. This is only my opinion about UT3.

Comment

I was a console gamer from 1978 through 1998 - a full 20 years, but ended up switching to PC because of the specific games I could get there but not on consoles. Decent: Freespace and Unreal (not to mention previous FPS titles, but I wasn't hardcore with them like I became with those two titles I mention).

I have a lot of love for consoles, but I prefer PC gaming.

Comment

Originally posted by Ultron View Post
                  I was a console gamer from 1978 through 1998 - a full 20 years, but ended up switching to PC because of the specific games I could get there but not on consoles. Decent: Freespace and Unreal (not to mention previous FPS titles, but I wasn't hardcore with them like I became with those two titles I mention).

I have a lot of love for consoles, but I prefer PC gaming.
                  Yeah, I prefer PC for gaming now, but I know where I came from. NES in '85, REPRESENT!!

And srsly, a PS3 version of the game will be about as configurable controller-wise as a PC version. It just won't have the horsepower of a high-end PC.

Comment

Yes, but if i remember correctly, there is no GPU support.... and you'd have to install the pc version... kinda defeats the purpose doesn't it? I had a ps3 with Ubuntu on it some things worked great, but others not so good. (I bought the thing for Blu-Ray) and don't get me started on Blu-Ray vs HD-DVD. Blu-Ray gets the default win in my book.

Also, as I said earlier, you cannot tweak controls on ps3 as well as PC, simply consider mouse drivers (think button mapping and x/y accel response ratios, OS accel implementation, and 1000Hz USB port sampling, thngs PS3 won't have.

I myself am a mouse *****, I have an explorer 1.0, 3.0. 4.0, mx300, 310, 500, 510, 518(1000Hz version), G3, G5, the original Boomslang, Habu, Copperhead, Death Adder, Diamondback (the switch on the left button broke in HALF), Krait, and I just ordered the new Lachesis.. so far, of all these I prefer the 518 because its optical rather than laser and it seems to be much more accurate on fast movements than the G mice. the Razer mice, are nice but only the death adder "feels right" I'm hoping the Lachesis will be like the boomslang (its the same shape.) And the other thing that it supposedly solves that had always bothers me is when making quick pick up and set down movements of the mouse, you get that "jerk" when you pick the mouse up. The 3G is supposed to turn the laser off immediately after a certain height thereby eliminating this age old annoyance. Oooor as Razer describes it: "The Razer 3G Laser Sensor also stops tracking at much lower lift-off levels(a) than any other laser sensor, preventing tracking errors when the Razer Lachesis is lifted off its tracking surface." Plus I'm ambidextrous, so this mouse will be at home in both my hands

Oh and btw, NES ftw in 1983 -->NES History <-- First known as the Famicom

Comment

This thread is like going into a Halo 3 forum and asking why people are playing with 360s instead of Wiis.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkSideofOZ View Post
                        There is nothing you can do on a console that you can't do BETTER on a pc in some way shape or form. It is superior, it is upgradable, it is customizable, and it does so much more.
                        It also costs a hell of alot more for a decent gaming PC. Something that a fair amount of people can't or don't want to pay just to chill out and play games in their spare time.

This isn't all about the uber l33t competitive community, nor is everyone is into modding, etc. People need to start thinking outside of the box that is the PC and start thinking about how other people like to enjoy their own personal time.

For some K/M is plain uncomfortable, so why play UT3 on a PC and put themselves at discomfort using a K/M or at a disadvantage because the PC doesn't support a control pad properly, when they can play on a console and be at home with a crowd that has no superior advantage over them over a periphiral?

Quite frankly who gives a **** what anyone plays the game on, as long as it meets their expectations and they have fun playing it, isn't that the most important thing?

Comment

I think the cost thing is a load though. You could buy/build a decent machine capable of playing games for $800. Would it be balls to the wall? No but certainly affordable, and something you could add to as you could afford to.
                          Likewise, if a PS3 buyer wants to play the game "The way it was meant to"
                          That means they're getting a $600 console, extra controllers, and accessories, A Huge LCD TV capable of HDTV resolutions, and HDCP. Expensive HDMI, or component cables for all of it, and you're back up to the $2k a deep pocketed PC gamer might pay for.

But again I don't have a problem with either way to play. I just don't see this perceived price gap people point to.

Comment

I am buying UT3 for PS3. I enjoy the larger screen, and I don't think my PC can handle it lol

Comment

I prefer to play on the PC for various reasons beyond control and customization issues.

I can switch between playing/spectating a game, talking on 3rd party voice chat, using IRC, using xFire, surfing the internet, and posting in forums with little effort. I can keep all these programs open at the same time and switch between them by alt-tabbing.

For example, the following could happen...

- I'm playing a casual DM game online while chatting with people who are not on the same server as me.

- I recieve an xFire message from someone saying that I'm needed on IRC.

- I become a spectator and alt-tab to my IRC client.

- After a discussion on the IRC channel, I decide to make a forum post relating to my IRC visit.

- Before making the post I do a quick search on the internet to gather info for my post.

- My work is done, so I alt-tab back to the game and continue playing.

You just can't get that much work done so easily on a console.

I realize that the situation I presented probably doesn't apply to many people. However, it has happened to me more than once. I just couldn't imagine trying to participate in a community without all the PC communication tools (IRC, xFire, voice chat, forums, internet) readily available.

Money is of course a limiting factor for choosing the PC over the console. However, after playing on the xBox 360, I've decided that it's more than worth the money. If I couldn't afford a PC capable of running UT3 I would not even bother trying to play UT3. That's just me though

Comment

I use 360 disc for coasters around here. My son plays on a 360, thats about it. The XBox is for ht3e kiddies, us adults will play it on PC. I know this will probably start a large off topic debate, BUT, there is more skill involved in a PC FPS versus a console FPS. Consoles are where the newbs hang out, and when they graduate, they move on to the PC for the real deal. I hated playing FPS on console, it sucks, controls suck, game play and feel sucks.

PS only for me, but if you want some nice coasters, feel free to buy a console version, am sure you will trash it and move to PC version soon enough.

Comment

Working...
                                X