Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I also play on a PC for everything it gives but of course winning the lottery would make a huge diffrence.
    Just imagine the biggest baddest computer hooked into a giant ball shaped screen that you can enter and the game itself would be sent on the interior walls so once in it when you run the ball rolls foward making the scenery go foward and so on. You could even attach some kind of air suspension and give you a swift kick in the heels for when you jump or are on a jump pad to get the feel of the movement A special suit with capters for when you are hit stuff like that.
    I've seen crude models of this a bit earlier somewhere but not with UT3 loll

(yes the ball would be in a steel frame and would roll on itself not all over the place lol)

Comment

Originally posted by KriLL3.8™ View Post
      It isn't, you're forgetting the PC version.
      i mean console exc. dude.

Comment

Originally posted by Sfred View Post
        i mean console exc. dude.
        Which doesn't mean exclusive at all.

Comment

Originally posted by icecone View Post
          I realise that many people in this forum are getting the PC version(windows/mac/linux)
          But why? Because you played ut2004 on PC?
          I'm thinking about getting it on 360. (I know details are not out yet, suppose there is no keyboard and mouse support and mods only in xbox live marketplace once a while)
          Will that be cool?
          Playing with a controller isn't that bad anyway.
          But will the xboxlive be as lag as in GOW?
          everyone is giving all these complicated answers (which are "biased" anyway).

the simple fact is... we're all playing on the PC because we're used to it on the PC. we are more comfortable playing it with keyboard and mouse controls. and for some, being more easily moddable helps.

everyone has to acknowledge that there are some people that "experienced" playing first person shooters on "consoles" with the controllers well before they ever tried playing it on PC... and some of them are used to it... so they'll stick to that... for THEM, controllers are "better". just like mouse and keyboard is better for me.

do i think m+kb are better than controllers? well, it definitely gives you a different kind of feel. but all it doesn't matter, if you're not used to it.

that being said... i think people need to back off a bit on the "keyboard/mouse is better than controller" arguement. and vice versa.

Comment

A mouse is indefinitely more sensitive than a analog stick, you can perform precision stuff with a mouse, the speed, direction and distance all are taken into account, you can't claim an analog stick is comparable, I like analog sticks for platform/racing games, but a mouse can't be beaten in an FPS, a keyboard is better than gamepad because you have access to a lot more buttons, on the PS3 version without a keyboard you need to hold a button and move one of the sticks on a dial like thing to switch weapons, means you can't look around or move while switching, I don't remember what stick or what each one does so I don't know which one.

I got all weapons bound to buttons on my mouse, others got em on the keyboard, changing directions is a lot faster on a keyboard since you can just shift 2 fingers vertically, compared to moving your thumb sideways pulling against the centering spring of a stick, and I can't imagine dodging with an analog stick.

Comment

Originally posted by Goobers View Post
              everyone is giving all these complicated answers (which are "biased" anyway).

the simple fact is... we're all playing on the PC because we're used to it on the PC. we are more comfortable playing it with keyboard and mouse controls. and for some, being more easily moddable helps.

everyone has to acknowledge that there are some people that "experienced" playing first person shooters on "consoles" with the controllers well before they ever tried playing it on PC... and some of them are used to it... so they'll stick to that... for THEM, controllers are "better". just like mouse and keyboard is better for me.

do i think m+kb are better than controllers? well, it definitely gives you a different kind of feel. but all it doesn't matter, if you're not used to it.

that being said... i think people need to back off a bit on the "keyboard/mouse is better than controller" arguement.
              i agree with this statement to a point.
              while experienced controller players favor the controller, the controller only works exceedingly well with games geared towards controller/ consol play. While the Keyboard and mouse games are geared more for PC play. Of coarse there are a few expections like in flying simulations. controlers and / or joystick is much better geared to general scaning and smooth scaning over an games interface over that of a keyboard and mouse. For precise, quick, bumpy, and jerky gameing the keyboard and mouse is best.

Comment

Originally posted by icecone View Post
                I realise that many people in this forum are getting the PC version(windows/mac/linux)
                But why? Because you played ut2004 on PC?
                It's not merely because people are used to playing on a PC. There are other substantive reasons aside from the use of a keyboard and mouse:

1. Easier to manage custom map files and mods. One of the huge benefits of playing on a PC is the ability to download--for free--as many custom game mods and custom maps as you like and if you know what you're doing it isn't real hard to manage all of those files. Unreal Tournament is about freedom--the freedom to play custom maps--the freedom to play custom mods. Do you really want a big Microsoft gorilla standing in the way and trying to charge you a toll?

2. Playing online is free. You don't have to put up with having to go through a console company's proprietary server or have to pay an XBox Live fee to play online (aside from paying for your regular broadband Internet access).

3. A PC also gives you the option of using Internet Relay Chat (IRC) and of browsing websites at will. The clan community and its activities get organized on IRC and on websites. If you try to play in league or join a clan team that's on a ladder you'll probably get laughed at if you tell them you're on a console.

4. Voice Comm. Can you use Teamspeak or Ventrillo on a console? (That's what clans use for matches.) I didn't think so.

So, you see, it's not merely about the keyboard and the mouse or merely because of people's habits. Rather, there are very substantive reasons to prefer to play the game on a PC.

Of the three platforms, I'd rank them in this order of desirability:

1. PC

2. Playstation 3 -- it sounds like you can download custom maps and mods to your hearts content and play online without much BS. There might also be cross-platform play with PC players (though the PC players don't seem to want the console kiddies).

3. XBox -- this might turn out to be a real joke. Not only might you have to pay money to download custom files, but you might also have to pay to play online. I'm under the impression that it's going to be like playing the game with stern religious parents or a babysitter watching over you and telling you what you can and cannot do. That's not Unreal Tournament--Unreal Tournament is about freedom.

Comment

I would play on a PC just because dedicated servers > XBox Live.
                  But I do not have that option anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Goobers View Post

that being said... i think people need to back off a bit on the "keyboard/mouse is better than controller" arguement. and vice versa.
                    I agree totally, use what you as an individual are comfortable with. As long as you're having fun and are enjoying yourself who cares what anyone else thinks or uses?

Comment

Originally posted by KriLL3.8™ View Post
                      A mouse is indefinitely more sensitive than a analog stick, you can perform precision stuff with a mouse, the speed, direction and distance all are taken into account, you can't claim an analog stick is comparable, I like analog sticks for platform/racing games, but a mouse can't be beaten in an FPS, a keyboard is better than gamepad because you have access to a lot more buttons, on the PS3 version without a keyboard you need to hold a button and move one of the sticks on a dial like thing to switch weapons, means you can't look around or move while switching, I don't remember what stick or what each one does so I don't know which one.

I got all weapons bound to buttons on my mouse, others got em on the keyboard, changing directions is a lot faster on a keyboard since you can just shift 2 fingers vertically, compared to moving your thumb sideways pulling against the centering spring of a stick, and I can't imagine dodging with an analog stick.
                      Originally posted by Night Shadow View Post
                      i agree with this statement to a point.
                      while experienced controller players favor the controller, the controller only works exceedingly well with games geared towards controller/ consol play. While the Keyboard and mouse games are geared more for PC play. Of coarse there are a few expections like in flying simulations. controlers and / or joystick is much better geared to general scaning and smooth scaning over an games interface over that of a keyboard and mouse. For precise, quick, bumpy, and jerky gameing the keyboard and mouse is best.
                      like i said... none of it matters if a person has had almost no experience on the mouse and keyboard. when they feel it is arkward, they get "turned off" by it. arguements like "controllers suck" (or "mouse blows" or whatever) only cause "flame wars" between the two groups. let people play the way they want... it's up to them to try out other ways... it's up to everyone else to simply say "hey, if you want to try something else, i can give you pointers."

Originally posted by Sourpuss View Post
                      It's not merely because people are used to playing on a PC. There are other substantive reasons aside from the use of a keyboard and mouse:

1. Easier to manage custom map files and mods. One of the huge benefits of playing on a PC is the ability to download--for free--as many custom game mods and custom maps as you like and if you know what you're doing it isn't real hard to manage all of those files. Unreal Tournament is about freedom--the freedom to play custom maps--the freedom to play custom mods. Do you really want a big Microsoft gorilla standing in the way and trying to charge you a toll?

2. Playing online is free. You don't have to put up with having to go through a console company's proprietary server or have to pay an XBox Live fee to play online (aside from paying for your regular broadband Internet access).

3. A PC also gives you the option of using Internet Relay Chat (IRC) and of browsing websites at will. The clan community and its activities get organized on IRC and on websites. If you try to play in league or join a clan team that's on a ladder you'll probably get laughed at if you tell them you're on a console.

4. Voice Comm. Can you use Teamspeak or Ventrillo on a console? (That's what clans use for matches.) I didn't think so.

So, you see, it's not merely about the keyboard and the mouse or merely because of people's habits. Rather, there are very substantive reasons to prefer to play the game on a PC.
                      1) PS3 will have mods. XBox will most likely. how easy is it to manage? no one knows yet.

2) i was pretty sure PS3 network was free to play multiplayer. XBox, no... but doesn't really matter yet since there's little mention of the XBox version even (not to mention the fact it won't be released anytime soon).

3) and 4) IRC is useful... but not everyone uses it.... nor do they NEED to. XBox has voice chat for multiplayer. as for browsing websites at will... will you be doing that WHILE playing games? so what's the point?

Comment

I agree with Sourpuss 100%. And yeah, you can get the mods for PS3, and maybe even on X360 after shellin' out a bit to Micro$oft, but they are undeniably easier to manage on a PC. Of course, with a linuxian PS3, the management can be as easy on a PS3 as it is on a PC. X360 does not have this option.

And yes, the PS3 network is free but Sourpuss also mentioned "company's proprietary servers"; I assume he was talking about PS3 online capabilities. I don't know much about PS3 and it's online play other than the price tag it comes with, though.

And yes, IRC is very useful. I discovered it through UT, and haven't left it since (this was in 2000). You can easily find many other clans for all game types to join or compete with; and there are networks for different regions of the globe (QuakeNet is big in Europe, GameSurge is big in NA, and GlobalGamersCenter is, well, global), so you have a choice of the community you want to be a part of. I'm on two networks for gamers (and a few friends' networks), and can't imagine trying to keep up with all the people I keep up with without it. Of course, I don't have XFire or anything. And I don't know how well UT3's in-game clan handling is going to be. But still, IRC rocks. But like you (Goobers) said, not everyone needs it. But I do

And yes, XBox has voice chat... which works with other XBox players. To my knowledge, it works with other XBox players you happen to be playing the game with, and not anyone (of course, I could be wrong; I only had X360 for a coupla weeks before it got stolen, and never played online at all, nevermind with voice chat). But with Teamspeak and Ventrilo, you can speak to anyone anywhere at any time, no matter what game you play or Operating System you use (with TS; Vent is for Windoze). You can also have private servers, or clan servers, or regional servers, game servers, global servers, etc etc. I don't know about X360's voice thing, but I like the flexibility and ease-of-use of Ventrilo and TeamSpeak.

Comment

I don't think it'll be like Gears because that was the thing that was rushed about the game, the online multiplayer, since it was an afterthought. I'm sure this time around they'll actually have servers to register the important information, like your shots, instead of relying on the host Xbox to carry all of the load (most games even before Gears did this and it's a shocker the Gears did it). Most of the FPS/shooter games out there handle a lot better than Gears so I expect to see a big change with UT3. Given the amount of time they have with it, unlike Gears, and how online multiplayer oriented the game is, it'll handle 100 times better than Gears. Because it's online you'll have to compensate for a lagger ever once in a while but it probably will be the routine "Man, I shot this guy with two rockets to the face and he's the one that came out alive and with a kill, wtf!?" It wont be every game and it'll rarely happen. With F.E.A.R. I encounter one person like this per, maybe, every five games but as the game goes on they are easier to kill, I don't know why. With Lost Planet I encounter, usually, one per every other match but they usually get booted after a few min. of the round starting. So, yeah, I don't expect this game to run like Gears of War did online. No one that has played Gears should as we know truly how terrible it is compared to other games out there. Which, I think most people who haven't spent a lot of time with it, think it's routine lag play when it's really way worse than that.

As for why I'm going with 360 over PC this time is because as I've gotten older I like to relax in my recliner and that's much easier achieved through using a controller Another thing is that I'm done upgrading my PC every year. It's much cheaper to maintain a console which is good for many, many years. Sure the graphics and freedom isn't as great as a top notch PC but hell, I just want to play games. Graphics aren't a big factor for anything in my book anyway. If it looks as good as Gears thats perfect. Gears is probably the best looking game I've ever seen.

Ceil, just noticed you're from Denton as well. Small world.

Comment

Personally i think the only reason you should buy it for the PS3 is because you dont have a PC which can handle the game well enough.
                            Otherwise the PC is superior in generally every way...including the graphics for the people who think that the PS3 has better graphics. If you think about it if the game runs in 720p then the Xbox360 should technically be able to match the PS3. Also if the game is running in 720p then the resolution would only be as high as 1280x960 (i think), and therefore it loses again as the PC should definatly be able to run higher res than that.

Offtopic but does the PC version support Widescreen?

Comment

Originally posted by DireWolf View Post
                              I heard my friend talkin' about his 1280x800 res in UT2004 earlier, so I would imagine so.

Comment

Originally posted by DireWolf View Post
                                Personally i think the only reason you should buy it for the PS3 is because you dont have a PC which can handle the game well enough.
                                Otherwise the PC is superior in generally every way...including the graphics for the people who think that the PS3 has better graphics. If you think about it if the game runs in 720p then the Xbox360 should technically be able to match the PS3. Also if the game is running in 720p then the resolution would only be as high as 1280x960 (i think), and therefore it loses again as the PC should definatly be able to run higher res than that.

yes. But all other unreal engine 3 games uses vert-
                                hope this isn't

Comment

Working...
                                X