Just Insatlled ut2004 Demo...........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    I Highly recommend using xp for unreal tourny 3. Vista is brand new, Xp has already had most of the bugs worked out. Vista, is basicly Beta.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by isp_of_doom View Post
    also UT3 may easily be larger than 8 gig.
    Would almost have to be. A 2 million poly model itself can easily run 30-40 meg alone. So figure each model at say 500k polys, your looking at the high poly versions being over 1 gig, easily. I'm thinking UT3 will be in the 12 gig or so range. Thats a rough guesstimate, so don't hold me to it.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Taboen View Post
    my 2k4 folder is 20 gig now lol
    i feel for you

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by dirkduncan View Post
    how much will this increase this my system's efficience, what are the prices and what affect's it... only loading times or just everything. is it hardware-dependant?
    i have a (in holland) mid-range system:
    AMD 64 X2 4600+
    2Gigs standard ram
    ATI X1300 256MB
    320GB standard HD (checking manufacturer etc. now)
    no raid card and XP
    You really don't need to buy new hardware, your disk will do just fine You have tons of RAM that can cache a lot of stuff

Often I'm one of the first guys to join a new 32p ONS map. I also have 2GB of RAM, ValueRAM with lame timings and a 1.86 C2D oc'ed to 3GHz. All I had to do is what I said, and avoid UT2004\cache fragmentation. Otherwise the disk could really be the bottleneck.

Sure, crazy high end stuff, could make me load even 2 or 3 second faster, but then with UE3 file access is not synchronous with the CPU (I believe that's what Epic means about streaming). It is processing some data while the disk is reading ahead. And servers wait for players to join.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Benfica View Post
    Do this instead, if you want to buy a new disk:

- Buy the 750GB Western Digital Caviar SE (or RE2) AAKS. 95/MB on the outer tracks. Or wait for the Seagate Barracuda 7200.11, 105MB/s sustained

- Create a small partition (ex: 60GB) at the beginning of your HD.
    - Use NTFS compression.
    - Install.
    - Disable compression on the cache, demos, screenshots and system folder. In fact the ones where writes are common while you play.
    - Defrag it once now. When the disk becomes noisy, do it again. There is a free defrag utility called contig that will do the trick and you can select which folders to defrag.
    Done.

Very low seek time because the files are contiguous on a small space. Even if fragmented, it is contained inside the partition. Or create a larger partition and install 2 or 3 games there, etc...

The point now is using that disk for the stuff you use one at a time. Like for instance, make it the games disk. Put videos, mp3, software packages there, etc...
    You know what I mean.

btw, I bet that after a while, Barracuda 7200.11 500GB, will cost the same as a Corsair Voyager GT 8GB, which is afaik the fastest pen that exists. Ah, use NTFS compression on the pen, play around with cluster size when formating (I dunno what's better smaller or larger). It will give you 12 GB or more, and increase performance somewhat.
    how much will this increase this my system's efficience, what are the prices and what affect's it... only loading times or just everything. is it hardware-dependant?
    i have a (in holland) mid-range system:
    AMD 64 X2 4600+
    2Gigs standard ram
    ATI X1300 256MB
    320GB standard HD (checking manufacturer etc. now)
    no raid card and XP

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by GrimReaper View Post
    Thanks bud!!

I just may to that, However I did buy the GigaBytes I-Ram 4gig version and used nLITE to remove all the unnecessary stuff I did not want installed from WindowsXP install setup. After installing WindowsXP is was only 1.3 gigs and It "REALLY KICKS" on my other computer. Now I used vLITE and the smallest I could get Vista Ultimate was 6gigs with vLITE. Id like to put my 6gig vLITE version in the 8gig version so I could install it on GigaBytes I-Ram 8gb version when It comes out. It supposed to use SATA II and you can use 800mhz 240 pin DD2 Ram.

Thanks again for the info
    yw And ty too for mentioning nLite! I'm going to try it in a few days.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Benfica View Post

- Buy the 750GB Western Digital Caviar SE (or RE2) AAKS. 95/MB on the outer tracks. Or wait for the Seagate Barracuda 7200.11, 105MB/s sustained

- Use NTFS compression.
    - Install.
    - Disable compression on the cache, demos, screenshots and system folder. In fact the ones where writes are common while you play.
    - Defrag it once now. When the disk becomes noisy, do it again. There is a free defrag utility called contig that will do the trick and you can select which folders to defrag.
    Done.

Very low seek time because the files are contiguous on a small space. Even if fragmented, it is contained inside the partition. Or create a larger partition and install 2 or 3 games there, etc...

The point now is using that disk for the stuff you use one at a time. Like for instance, make it the games disk. Put videos, mp3, software packages there, etc...
    You know what I mean.

btw, I bet that after a while, Barracuda 7200.11 500GB, will cost the same as a Corsair Voyager GT 8GB, which is afaik the fastest pen that exists. Ah, use NTFS compression on the pen, play around with cluster size when formating (I dunno what's better smaller or larger). It will give you 12 GB or more, and increase performance somewhat.
    Thanks bud!!

I just may to that, However I did buy the GigaBytes I-Ram 4gig version and used nLITE to remove all the unnecessary stuff I did not want installed from WindowsXP install setup. After installing WindowsXP is was only 1.3 gigs and It "REALLY KICKS" on my other computer. Now I used vLITE and the smallest I could get Vista Ultimate was 6gigs with vLITE. Id like to put my 6gig vLITE version in the 8gig version so I could install it on GigaBytes I-Ram 8gb version when It comes out. It supposed to use SATA II and you can use 800mhz 240 pin DD2 Ram.

Thanks again for the info

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Who cares about tfsd of ut2.2

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I got the 7200.10 and have done something quite similar to what you described.

Leave a comment:

• replied

- Use NTFS compression.
    - Install.
    Done.

You know what I mean.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Remember that solid state drives/memory has a limited amount of reads and writes to each bit on it, thus if a small file on there is updated and read often that section will quickly die.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Molgan View Post
    There is a possibility to strip games to fit, for example UT2004 can be slimmed just by removing the maps from the game types you don't play, and textures/meshes/music etc that is used by the removed maps only.
    Well I could always get a 16 gig stick and see what happends!!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    There is a possibility to strip games to fit, for example UT2004 can be slimmed just by removing the maps from the game types you don't play, and textures/meshes/music etc that is used by the removed maps only.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    my 2k4 folder is 20 gig now lol

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I guess on your system even with the game being run from HDD, on a relatively clean windows system and with HDD defragmented you'd get very close load times. As for relatively low capacity of the flash drive - you can put only significant large files there, like textures and system folders and load everything else from the hard drive - it's easy to do with the Unreal Engine

Leave a comment:

Working...
X