Just Insatlled ut2004 Demo...........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just Insatlled ut2004 Demo...........

Just Installed ut2004 Demo just for fun on the newly released Sandisk 8GB Cruzer Micro USB Drive I just bought @ Best Buy On Sale For $79.95 Just for fun. At my amazment It booted up real Quick. I was kinda suprized. Now I have the release version of UT2004 Was just wondersing if wil make any difference if I installed the released version?

Also I went online and Instant Action Maps seem to take to load both in about 2-3 secs Demos seem to boot fast and run smooth

If not I may try to install UT3 on it and see how fast it will boot up.

Im running Vista 64 Bit O.S. - AMD 6000+ With 4 Gigs of 800mhz ram

Any thoughts?

Any thoughts?
    yep... stick to installing on the hdd.

also UT3 may easily be larger than 8 gig.

Comment

And the UT3 folder will grow in time as more maps, mods, skin packs, and mutators are added to it. My UT99 folder more than quadripled over the years.

Comment

exactly.. UT3 will be the kind of game you buy a new hdd for. (its almost mandatory)

Comment

I guess on your system even with the game being run from HDD, on a relatively clean windows system and with HDD defragmented you'd get very close load times. As for relatively low capacity of the flash drive - you can put only significant large files there, like textures and system folders and load everything else from the hard drive - it's easy to do with the Unreal Engine

Comment

my 2k4 folder is 20 gig now lol

Comment

There is a possibility to strip games to fit, for example UT2004 can be slimmed just by removing the maps from the game types you don't play, and textures/meshes/music etc that is used by the removed maps only.

Comment

Originally posted by Molgan View Post
                There is a possibility to strip games to fit, for example UT2004 can be slimmed just by removing the maps from the game types you don't play, and textures/meshes/music etc that is used by the removed maps only.
                Well I could always get a 16 gig stick and see what happends!!

Comment

Remember that solid state drives/memory has a limited amount of reads and writes to each bit on it, thus if a small file on there is updated and read often that section will quickly die.

Comment

Do this instead, if you want to buy a new disk:

- Buy the 750GB Western Digital Caviar SE (or RE2) AAKS. 95/MB on the outer tracks. Or wait for the Seagate Barracuda 7200.11, 105MB/s sustained

- Create a small partition (ex: 60GB) at the beginning of your HD.
                    - Use NTFS compression.
                    - Install.
                    - Disable compression on the cache, demos, screenshots and system folder. In fact the ones where writes are common while you play.
                    - Defrag it once now. When the disk becomes noisy, do it again. There is a free defrag utility called contig that will do the trick and you can select which folders to defrag.
                    Done.

Very low seek time because the files are contiguous on a small space. Even if fragmented, it is contained inside the partition. Or create a larger partition and install 2 or 3 games there, etc...

The point now is using that disk for the stuff you use one at a time. Like for instance, make it the games disk. Put videos, mp3, software packages there, etc...
                    You know what I mean.

btw, I bet that after a while, Barracuda 7200.11 500GB, will cost the same as a Corsair Voyager GT 8GB, which is afaik the fastest pen that exists. Ah, use NTFS compression on the pen, play around with cluster size when formating (I dunno what's better smaller or larger). It will give you 12 GB or more, and increase performance somewhat.

Comment

I got the 7200.10 and have done something quite similar to what you described.

Comment

Who cares about tfsd of ut2.2

Comment

Originally posted by Benfica View Post

- Buy the 750GB Western Digital Caviar SE (or RE2) AAKS. 95/MB on the outer tracks. Or wait for the Seagate Barracuda 7200.11, 105MB/s sustained

- Use NTFS compression.
                          - Install.
                          - Disable compression on the cache, demos, screenshots and system folder. In fact the ones where writes are common while you play.
                          - Defrag it once now. When the disk becomes noisy, do it again. There is a free defrag utility called contig that will do the trick and you can select which folders to defrag.
                          Done.

Very low seek time because the files are contiguous on a small space. Even if fragmented, it is contained inside the partition. Or create a larger partition and install 2 or 3 games there, etc...

The point now is using that disk for the stuff you use one at a time. Like for instance, make it the games disk. Put videos, mp3, software packages there, etc...
                          You know what I mean.

btw, I bet that after a while, Barracuda 7200.11 500GB, will cost the same as a Corsair Voyager GT 8GB, which is afaik the fastest pen that exists. Ah, use NTFS compression on the pen, play around with cluster size when formating (I dunno what's better smaller or larger). It will give you 12 GB or more, and increase performance somewhat.
                          Thanks bud!!

I just may to that, However I did buy the GigaBytes I-Ram 4gig version and used nLITE to remove all the unnecessary stuff I did not want installed from WindowsXP install setup. After installing WindowsXP is was only 1.3 gigs and It "REALLY KICKS" on my other computer. Now I used vLITE and the smallest I could get Vista Ultimate was 6gigs with vLITE. Id like to put my 6gig vLITE version in the 8gig version so I could install it on GigaBytes I-Ram 8gb version when It comes out. It supposed to use SATA II and you can use 800mhz 240 pin DD2 Ram.

Thanks again for the info

Comment

Originally posted by GrimReaper View Post
                            Thanks bud!!

I just may to that, However I did buy the GigaBytes I-Ram 4gig version and used nLITE to remove all the unnecessary stuff I did not want installed from WindowsXP install setup. After installing WindowsXP is was only 1.3 gigs and It "REALLY KICKS" on my other computer. Now I used vLITE and the smallest I could get Vista Ultimate was 6gigs with vLITE. Id like to put my 6gig vLITE version in the 8gig version so I could install it on GigaBytes I-Ram 8gb version when It comes out. It supposed to use SATA II and you can use 800mhz 240 pin DD2 Ram.

Thanks again for the info
                            yw And ty too for mentioning nLite! I'm going to try it in a few days.

Comment

Originally posted by Benfica View Post

- Use NTFS compression.
                              - Install.
                              Done.

You know what I mean.

how much will this increase this my system's efficience, what are the prices and what affect's it... only loading times or just everything. is it hardware-dependant?
                              i have a (in holland) mid-range system:
                              AMD 64 X2 4600+
                              2Gigs standard ram
                              ATI X1300 256MB
                              320GB standard HD (checking manufacturer etc. now)
                              no raid card and XP

Comment

Working...
                              X