Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who thinks Epic should take the competitive community serious ?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who thinks Epic should take the competitive community serious ?

I woke up when i saw k┬░Stryfe's video and how true it was.

edit: For those who havent watched the video of Stryfe here they are

Part 1: http://one.revver.com/watch/386604

Part 2: http://one.revver.com/watch/386626

Ty Acid Trip for the links

I indeed agree.Stryfe got it all right and really made me think.

Comment

I do but they don't care and will probably ignore this thread.

Comment

Thats y we all need 2 get together!!! they have to take us serious , and losing a lil $ is not going to kill em, its going to get more noticeable by every one.

Comment

Supporting the competitive community isn't profitable, hence Epic will not consider (and never has considered) it as important to the success of their game. I can't say that I blame them since it takes a lot of manpower to support tournaments and the like.

This just falls into the whole list of things that separate a game that sells well from one that's truly good. There's a point of no return where making the game better won't result in more sales, and as games get more and more expensive to make (keep in mind that games still cost the same that they did a decade ago while the game development itself has gotten significantly more expensive... it's a lose-lose situation) companies have to cut costs somewhere in order to remain afloat.

Comment

Didnt you hear? They are going to have competitive racing championships with teh vheicalz!!!

Comment

Originally posted by gs51 View Post
              I indeed agree.Stryfe got it all right and really made me think.
              +1 agreed....

Comment

+2 agreed.........

Comment

UT99 had a lot to prove, and it attracted players because it was so much focking fun.
                  If its focking fun, regardless of what "old school players" like me think about this game, there will be a competitive community.
                  Although, if you are looking for cash prizes, its best to stick to 1 v 1 dm and go to all teh smaller events that pop up around you.

Comment

Quote :Thats y we all need 2 get together!!! they have to take us serious , and losing a lil $ is not going to kill em, its going to get more noticeable by every one.

In any case what are we going to do if they dont?
                    Not buy the game ?!?! Loll forget it! I would set my neighbor 's house on fire to be able to play now, so when it comes out i buy .

Comment

I'm not convinced about all of this 'pro gamer' stuff. Yeah it would be great if something could be set up for a UT tournament but then what?

I can't imagine that a person could make a living as a pro gamer. Yes I'm sure there are a few people who are able to do it and make it work but what percentage are those people out of all gamers that went to say WCG or other event?

Better off playing games in tournaments that you organise and have fun in but I just don't see people making hundreds of thousands of dollars from playing games.

The Halo game might be the only one that pays that well because it is backed by Microsoft.

Better off studying hard and doing a job like everyone else, because that way at least you have security in knowing that you can get a job that will last. The pro gaming circuit with my limited knowledge of such things appears to be very insecure.

I think yeah have a tournament etc but I wouldn't hold your breath for huge amounts of pay packet if you win. What do the runner up gamers get if they lose?-how much do they get?

Comment

I agree with wisdomWarrior, its not really worth it. Its a game not a career path. Play it for fun and get a job. If your good enough to play in competitions than back it with a stable job and use vacation days. And if you win, well then congratulations and enjoy the extra cash. Think about it, how does helping the pro gamers affect anyone besides the pro gamers?

Comment

Originally posted by kobalt View Post
                          I would set my neighbor 's house on fire to be able to play now, so when it comes out i buy .
                          Hear that epic? Hows the demo coming. You don't want that on your conscience

Comment

Competition isn't about money, it's a celebration of skill.

In physical sports there are millions of competitive players for every professional. The competition among professionals serves as a focal point and inspiration for the spectators, but without the spectators the competitive component is rendered meaningless. (and as a side effect the money behind the competition dries up)

Most gamers aren't yet aware of the competition at the higher levels that exist in nearly every game, and why should they be? There's nothing that would indicate it throughout the course of their day to day lives or their play sessions. They don't idle IRC channels, trawl third party websites for video streams and demos, or even read forums such as this one, that's just not part of the casual gaming lifestyle.

The best thing EPIC or any gaming company can do for competition is to simply raise awareness. RTS games are many years ahead in this aspect. There are global scoreboards, official tournament schedules linked from the game browsers, official replay databases, and the occasional token prize to add to the bragging rights. As a result these games have very strong competitive followings because regular people are made aware. It doesn't even hurt the casual players because people can still choose between devoting more time to the game and trying to get good at it or sticking to the non-ranked matches where they can just play for fun.

I see no reason why such a system couldn't be implemented in an FPS game, and I see no reason why a company such as EPIC couldn't pull this off.

Comment

Originally posted by ScottUT View Post
                              Hear that epic? Hows the demo coming. You don't want that on your conscience
                              Loll i didn't say that i was going to just that i could

Comment

Working...
                              X