No announcement yet.

Concerning the story...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The story is actually pretty good, Ill definatly have to play U2 and catchup, I remeber some, but the post Entropy made was very helpful, Im really hoping more is developed in UT3 even if in small relation to the grand scheme of everything.

Comment

cool. i'v learned some stuff too... so this thread DID have a reason...

Comment

A lot of people don't know Unreal Tournament isn't the beginning. I remember for a long, long time after UT99 came out most people didn't even know Unreal existed. Many still don't.

Unreal Tournament is a spinoff/multiplayer branch from a single player game series called Unreal. The Tournament began roughly after the first game, and has evolved throughout the storyline alongside the in-game-real-world events, being influenced by the times.

The Assault gametype was a recreation of notable battles from the Unreal time line. It would be interesting to have Warfare maps recreating battles from the wars the players partook in while playing the Unreal games and expansions, since specifically in Unreal 2, there were a lot of battles between the NEG military and the Skaarj. What was happening on other parts of the planet? On other planets in the same galaxy? What about the other galaxies? The entire human race was at war with the alien war machine.

Comment

Originally posted by Fyrburn View Post
          The story in UT is really just an excuse to let you kill people. You're not missing much I imagine.
          I agree the story isn't much. It's neither bad, neither good. I don't know...miners killing for fun, UT (killing) a popular sport, it's better just as a storyless fps...or not - I can't say, the story in UT3 is kind of good, except for the sudden and sad end and

Spoiler

I can't decide if the story's good or if the games would be better without it.
          And that UT3 is before U2 kind of sucks (if it's true). I wouldn't want to play something that already happened. That kind of makes UT3's story not very important.
          Though I'm not sure myself about my statements except for those about UT3.
          I only played UT2004 (not story) and UT3.

Comment

A correction to Green_Day_584's entry, the Strider Wars were fought against the Striders, not the Skaarj. For conformation look it up at the Liandri Archives, http://liandri.beyondunreal.com/Striders.

Comment

Originally posted by Green_Day_584 View Post
              am i the only person who knows the story here? i mean the ENTIRE story...
              No anybody who played the single player games in addition to the tournament ones know it : )

Comment

More or less knows it, a lot of it makes more sense after you've researched it.

Comment

THIS GAME HAS A STORY?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

no it doesn't it's multiplayer without your friends, or strangers, or people. And a story that loosely ties it all together. I gotta say it, epic makes great games, but find me a game by them that has a good story. They need to kidnap some of bioware's employees cause Mass Effect is GOTY by me.

Comment

Would someone like to post the several page Unreal chronology?

Comment

Don't think you are meaning this, but I'll post it just in case.

http://www.unrealtournament2004.com/.../timeline.html

Comment

Unreal was the main competition to Quake back in the 1990's.
                        Here comes some useless information for you

The first ever game to use the Unreal story was the game Unreal, which was released in the US on 04/30/98 (9/22/98 in the EU), this game was a single player which the story line goes along the lines of, your prison ship has crash landed on a unknown planet, and you are the only survivor and you have to escape the planet. (Very very short explanation)
                        The next release was called Unreal Mission Pack: Return to NaPali, which was released on June 28th 1999, which goes along the lines of After narrowly escaping the Skaarj invaded planet Na Pali, you find yourself stranded in space; fortunately you are soon rescued - but unfortunately, your saviours want you to go down again. A simple mission, find a downed spacecraft... Multiplayer maps were also added in this pack, but I am not sure when multiplayer option was first added.
                        The multiplayer only with full bot support was released in November 1999 by Atari and Epic Games, called Unreal Tournament.
                        Unreal Tournament runs on a souped up version on the original Unreal game engine. The engine was the original games strongest feature, with its ability to show beautiful graphics at high speeds and make excellent use of 3D graphics acceleration. The improved version of the Unreal engine delivers the same quality but utilises less memory and therefore, runs even faster. But the major improvements in the engine is in its internet capability.
                        This game is still played today, with several leagues and division in lots of different gaming communities. (E.g. Clanbase, UTAssault League, etc etc)
                        After that Atari left the game and Epic decided to release UT2003, which was a major flop and many people where disappointed with the game play and style, this game was promptly swept under the carpet and UT2004 was put into development.
                        This did some what better for sales, but the "hardcore" UT99 fans were still largely unsatisfied with the lack of fast gameplay.
                        So UT3 was made, which is in my opinion is almost as good as UT99.

Anyone else want to know anything?

Yes I have played Unreal, Unreal addons, Unreal2, UT99 (the best one in my opinion ), UT2k3, UT2k4, and now UT3.
                        This does not mean I can shoot anything though I really sucked when I first started playing it, and now I am average

Comment

A funny fact about the timeline:

http://utforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=592592

Comment

Working...
                          X