Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Originally posted by thesimo View Post
    vista is nice but using 800mb of ram idle after a reboot is pretty retarded.
    Originally posted by Loki View Post
    The ram is not idle, its part of the pre-loading proccess, Vista try's to determine which applications you are most likely to use and and pre-loads for them
    I don't want to be a lamer, IMHO in a way you are both correct, but this doesn't tell the whole picture.

The pre-loading first. When Windows is doing that, it starts to fill the cache. Load task manager and you will see cache increasing and free memory decreasing. That free memory is what people say "that unused is wasted memory". The problem is that unused + cache is really what is available for programs. The 800MB that thesimo is saying is really memory that is not available for UT. If XP shows 500, there will be 1.5GB free. Vista will have 1.2GB. So it's again a bandwagon, Vista is really a hog.

Well, sort of because it's not 500 vs 800. Can be 350 vs 600. Or less, I don't have a clue about a few things here. Going back, Vista is still fat, but...

This is what I think that happens. When you load UT2004 to join a game, what do you see? The splash, the main menu, the server browser, the loading screen and then finally the game. When loading, it is creating auxiliary data structures, etc...

What's the point here? Most of this memory will not be used anymore. So UT will look like using, let's say use 500MB but it will only need 300 when you are fragging. I assume here that exactly when you join, UT invokes a function that is called EmptyWorking set. This tells to the system, ok take all my memory now, and you will give me it back when I touch it.

What happens then? UT will not touch the memory used before you joined the game. So what are those 500MB? It's the absolute max that UT ever needed. The 300MB is what UT needs now. The 300 is called "Working set". The 500 is called "Peak Working Set".

Most programs don't do that. So the memory they seem to use is just a bit lower than the absolute max. Then if a program has a complex loading, it will show a lot of memory used. But often when really running they are not a memory hog after all.

If they all did that at the same time, memory usage would drop like hell. But then, when they are bloat, it would rise too quickly again when are not idle, e.g. the indexer keeps running, you load a new page on the Internet browser, etc...

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Oh yeah http://utforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=577050 sorry 4 double post

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by [404]Cham3l3on View Post
    In all honesty, up until just recently I was running 2000 Pro. If you decide to rebuild your system then I'd say bite the bullet and go Vista. That's what I did, and tbh it has been good so far. A few quirks and some strangeness, but it has been pretty stable. dx10 is the next generation and only available with Vista, so if you want to take advantage of that then it is the obvious choice. Don't try to run Vista though, on older hardware as you are asking for trouble.
    NOOO NOT VISTA!!!, XP lets u get the maximum of your FRAMES!!!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    http://utforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=577050

Leave a comment:

• replied
    you don't have to buy xp or vista
    just download a feisty fawn

Leave a comment:

• replied
    vista is nice but using 800mb of ram idle after a reboot is pretty retarded. ive bee using it for a few months and i'd recommend XP still, your gonna need every drop of juice you can get for UT3
    The ram is not idle, its part of the pre-loading proccess, Vista try's to determine which applications you are most likely to use and and pre-loads for them, after a month or so ive come to the conclusion that vista is a good OS, its not leaps and bounds a head of XP but if you going for a new OS might as well buy vista(OFC this depends on your system). I dont know how you can tell how much juice you will need for something thats not even been released.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    That's not important.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    vista is nice but using 800mb of ram idle after a reboot is pretty retarded. ive bee using it for a few months and i'd recommend XP still, your gonna need every drop of juice you can get for UT3
    When I installed Vista on my new machine it was using sub 512 Mb. (Business edition). Memory is cheap, especially now. You can get 2 Gb of 6400 for under $100, and that isn't the junk memory.

Leave a comment:

• replied

Leave a comment:

• replied
    In all honesty, up until just recently I was running 2000 Pro. If you decide to rebuild your system then I'd say bite the bullet and go Vista. That's what I did, and tbh it has been good so far. A few quirks and some strangeness, but it has been pretty stable. dx10 is the next generation and only available with Vista, so if you want to take advantage of that then it is the obvious choice. Don't try to run Vista though, on older hardware as you are asking for trouble.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    No confirmation as far as i know on this at all, its coming to vista and xp for sure though.

If worst comes to worst, XP pro with classic theme shouldn't be too bad? XP is pretty **** stable if thats what you are looking for also (as a user OS).

Leave a comment:

• started a topic win2k supported?

win2k supported?

Has somebody read something about support for this OS? I love it and prefer it for so many reasons over xp and vista, would be a pain for me to buy one of those only for ut3
Working...
X