No announcement yet.

The 1v1 mode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Epic won't implement this because it does not contain hoverboards, carnage, or zero time to spectacle.

This is an awesome idea but there's no way they'll put it in... keep in mind that making games isn't necessarily about making something that's good, rather something that sells well. Most newbies don't care at all about a tournament mode, and since most of the people who are going to buy the game are going to be newbies, why should they put it in?

It truly is a sad state of affairs but that's just the way it is.

Comment

Originally posted by writhed View Post
      Epic won't implement this because it does not contain hoverboards, carnage, or zero time to spectacle.

This is an awesome idea but there's no way they'll put it in... keep in mind that making games isn't necessarily about making something that's good, rather something that sells well. Most newbies don't care at all about a tournament mode, and since most of the people who are going to buy the game are going to be newbies, why should they put it in?

It truly is a sad state of affairs but that's just the way it is.

I dont agree. I beilive epic keep everyone in mind making this game.

Comment

Originally posted by Frogger View Post
        http://www.proasm.com/ut/duelgame40.html

i hadn't heard it was included in UT3, but if interested this gametype has existed for a while...
        This is the mod yer be lookin for. It'll probably end up in UT3 no doubt. Just not right away.

Comment

Tourney was so fun in Q4, it was so exciting if you got to the top of the
          mini-tournament, and if you didn't, you could spectate the players playing
          and chat with the other players about the action.

It was really community-building and fun.

The default round length should be short though, 3-5 minutes, and/or 10 frags
          fraglimit. For 8 players you have 3 rounds, meaning if you got knocked out in
          round 1, you could risk up to 10 minutes of wait time until you could play again..
          kinda harsh.

Maybe those waiting should be able to jump in and out of a parallel "normal"
          deathmatch while waiting?

Comment

Originally posted by danseko View Post
            Maybe those waiting should be able to jump in and out of a parallel "normal"
            deathmatch while waiting?
            Wasn't it already like that in Quake 4? I think there were like 2 instence of 1v1 at the same time in "parallel normal" so if there would be 6 people in the server, there wouldn't be 4 people waiting for 2 guys to finish their 1v1. Anyhow, I agree with the idea of being in a DM until it's your turn when you lose cause being forced to wait "spectate" can be quite boring sometime.

Comment

ok this question was answered yesterday at the beyondunreal chat

* Ultron: What can you tell us about Duel?
              [bu]hal`: so how about that Duel gametype... what can you tell us about that
              [EPIC]Mysterial: it's 1v1 with built in queue support
              [EPIC]Mysterial: it defaults to our standard 1v1 rules
              [BU]DeathBooger: is there a tournament structure?
              [EPIC]Mysterial: no
              [EPIC]Mysterial: it's just a linear queue, winner stays, loser goes back to the end

bah, this ****** me a bit off since the tournament mode with a bracket and multiple 1v1s at the same time on the server is so much more wanted as a duel mode than the winner stays, and loser is out, and people wait in line to play the winner. shame they didnt put effort in making it happen. :<

Comment

We actually don't know if there is anything more to it, if the people in the qeue are put on spec or something else. A mod idea would to have 2 instances of the map played, one for the duel and the other in a warm up mode.

Comment

Seems like a bit less than they promised in the beginning. (surprise)

Comment

They most likely had to put a lot of time into war and the ps3 version.

Comment

Originally posted by ADiTheMAN View Post
                      bah, this ****** me a bit off since the tournament mode with a bracket and multiple 1v1s at the same time on the server is so much more wanted as a duel mode than the winner stays, and loser is out, and people wait in line to play the winner. shame they didnt put effort in making it happen. :<
                      Heh, you've been 4 houres quicker than me as I was about to post that chat log. It's indeed sad they didn't do tournament bracket with multiples 1v1 at the same time as many people will leave the server cause they don't want to wait 5 x 10min before being able to play... but at least we got something, unlike in UT2004.

Comment

I personally don't think y'all should worry about the 1v1 mode. I mean seriously, just get a person to play, find a 1v1 server and play . How hard can it be

Comment

The tournament mode in Quake 4 was a buggy POS that constantly crashed. Only the duel mode, with just a single 1v1 at a time ever functioned without consistent crashing. And any losers in the tournament mode had to wait until it was completely over before they were allowed to play again.

I dont think the 1v1 mode itself will be the problem, I think it will be the map selection for 1v1ing which will determine if its successful or not. Most regular deathmatch maps dont function well for 1v1ing, atleast not without some changes. So it will probably come down to custom maps for playability.

Comment

I like the sound of this new 1vs1 game mode.. i think it would be great with instagib!

Comment

Right, one shot and next round starts, sounds horrible.

Comment

Originally posted by KriLL3.8™ View Post
                                Right, one shot and next round starts, sounds horrible.
                                1v1s are typically played for a period of time, say 15 minutes, and whoever has the most frags at the end of that time is declared the winner.

Comment

Working...
                                X