No announcement yet.

Anything about the SPMA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another problem with the SPMA was that it didnt have mutch cover, the driver an passanger were both in the open a few rockets can kill both the driver and passanger, but it looks like the SPMA has changed into more of a tank like vehicle with mutch more cover.

Comment

Originally posted by Xyx View Post
      Give the passenger too much power and you get an awkward vehicle. The Hellbender is a good example where nearly all power lies in the hands of the passenger(s). This promotes fast seat switching, which is both silly and annoying. Imagine a Goliath driver quickly switching to the passenger seat to better defend against Mantas and Raptors.
      Grr, good point! But I think that rapid seat switching them becomes the problem. I agree that defensive abilities should be given to the driver, but I also think, given how real-world UT2 players used vehicles, that the passenger spots are just not desirable enough, nor effective enough to justify the concentration of team members. Like the link gun, few people will play second-fiddle, and amping up a passenger's power will get people using the vehicles in groups, and make those passenger slots worthwhile to design because players will use them.

The fact that nobody uses the passenger slots more than they have to is a huge flaw, and demonstrates how the UT3 vehicles need to be improved. I mean, some people don't even know about passenger slots, since they never see them used. Just a few responses back on this thread, someone mentioned they didn't even know the SPMA had a passenger spot. Surely they aren't alone. And I can imagine lots of people never realizing that the Cicada has a passenger station, or even the Goliath, for that matter.

If rapid seat-switches are a problem (and your point is a good one), then this should be changed as well, to force additional players to man the other spots, and give the vehicle its fullest possible power.

Comment

The SPAM sucked in 2k4 and I'm sure it will suck in UT3 too. =( Hope there will be a vehicle switch mut that makes it possible to replace specific vehicles.

Comment

I think the SPMA's target area was too large for the 5 bombs it dropped. Thus causing a lot of inaccuracy. You could aim the cursor directly on top of a node and only have bomb hit.

Comment

You should stop deploying the camera if you want accuracy. 250 damage each, those cameras, with pinpoint precision.

Comment

A system that might take a little more skill could be fun... could even encourage teamwork.

Have the gun show elevation, power, etc. Fire and see where it hits. Have it so if you're firing where you can't see, a spotter can relay information....

Would take some work to balance, but... whatever.

I'm sure what they have now will work.

Comment

I feel incredible stupid atm but what the hell is SPMA?

Comment

Originally posted by Grim View Post
                  I feel incredible stupid atm but what the hell is SPMA?
                  Artillery vehicle from the UT2004 bonuspack

Comment

**** I must have been sleeping when that thing came along.

Never was much of a ONS player though.

Comment

Originally posted by Mort_Q View Post
                      Have the gun show elevation, power, etc. Fire and see where it hits. Have it so if you're firing where you can't see, a spotter can relay information....
                      You can already do that with Scorpions and Flak Cannons... Ever seen it happen?

Comment

Originally posted by Xyx View Post
                        Ever seen it happen?
                        Can't say that I have... not quite the range of the SPMA however.

I'd like to see a turret like that... that's one thing I liked in XMP... novel turrets on different maps.

Comment

Originally posted by Madmanxan View Post
                          i thought it was designed to bombard stationary objects or slow moving vehicles.
                          You still got it wrong. It's designed to spam the sh*t out of everyone.

Sadly, there were almost no server at all running the Onslaught Bonus Pack on UT2004... I liked the new stuff. It would be nice if Epic would release a demonstration video every week like they do with each class on Team Fortress 2, so they could keep the hype, learn new things to fans and so on.

Comment

Originally posted by L'enculeur View Post
                            You still got it wrong. It's designed to spam the sh*t out of everyone.

Sadly, there were almost no server at all running the Onslaught Bonus Pack on UT2004...
                            It wasn't popular mostly because of the SPAM, it was retarded from the ground up. It had no fun-factor, didn't fit into the game play and on top of it bugged a lot. Hope they have made some serious redesign of it, otherwise I will happily avoid it in UT3 too.

Comment

Working...
                            X