Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will there be a cap to the damage the Link Gun deals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will there be a cap to the damage the Link Gun deals?

Oh yes, another question that I call an Epic guy for (which most likely won't be answered...PROVE ME WRONG!)

Alright, so in UT2004, say you and two other teammates were with you. You start shooting the node with the Link Gun, and it doesn't do much damage. Then one of the teammates links up to you, and it does significantly more damage. Then the third guy links up to you, and it does a **** ton of damage.

Then a guy in a Manta drops by and links up to THAT guy, creating a 4x link chain, but the damage dealt doesn't increase.

Some say this was a glitch, some say this was an intended cap to avoid abuse. Will it be the same way in UT3?

The Link Gun would be so much sweeter and more of a team-oriented gun if there IS no cap to the damage it deals. More people would use it if it were capable of doing so. However, it may also get pretty frustrating if a team used it constantly in a TDM match or something. Maybe have a cap for it in DM and have no cap for it in Warfare?

I could see it now, 8 man team running around with a constant instagib beam.

Comment

sounds like a mutator to me... Either that or no cap.

Comment

I never saw more than 3x chain in a link gun online, so they haven't any reason to cap it because it wasn't abused. And it has a short range so it can't be a continuous instagib. And the primary fire can be dodged. You can kill all of them with a Raptor or a Manta in Warfare and a Sniper or a Shock Rifle in TDM because they can't move too fast.
        It would be cool if the primary fire became faster(not a higher rate of fire) if it was linked up

Comment

Originally posted by Unreal_dan View Post
          And it has a short range so it can't be a continuous instagib.
          I do believe the link alt size for the guy at the front of the chain is larger than normal. We abused it to connect turrets in AS-RobotFactory.

Comment

I hope linking will actually do something this time, instead of granting a very insignificant bonus and severely confusing anyone debating the issue...

Originally posted by Unreal_dan View Post
            It would be cool if the primary fire became faster(not a higher rate of fire) if it was linked up
            I believe it already does, since you get more range on the primary fire when linked.

Comment

lmao in warfare 16 people linking just for fun and by the slates touch u die

Comment

i haven't tried, but can you link into a circle? cos if so, you could just link a few guys together and just march through the landscape, running people down.

Comment

It also encourages team play and thats good, but I would like the link effect to change, maby change more colors, or maby make the beam and projectile more brighter,when more people are linked up, also ad splash damage to the linked up link?

Comment

Originally posted by Silent Assassin View Post
                    i haven't tried, but can you link into a circle? cos if so, you could just link a few guys together and just march through the landscape, running people down.
                    The circle of death

I still like the ideea of running them down with a manta from behind unless the link gun can push you like repelling a speeding manta with a shock ball right before it hits you

Comment

Originally posted by Rujman View Post
                      Then a guy in a Manta drops by and links up to THAT guy, creating a 4x link chain, but the damage dealt doesn't increase.
                      Is that actually true? I know the fire sound doesn't change after adding 3 links, but does the damage actually stay the same as well? I can't find anything about it in the code. If it does work like that, it most likely is a glitch.

Also, I don't think you can link in a circle.

Comment

A cap makes sense, but it doesn't have to be low.

Encouraging working in squads is good.

Comment

Originally posted by Mort_Q View Post
                          A cap makes sense, but it doesn't have to be low.
                          It would make sense if damage was added quadratically or exponentially, but as it is damage is added linearly (every extra link adds 1.5x the power of an unlinked linkgun), so I don't see a point in having a cap.

Comment

Fair enough, it's not like both teams can't do the same thing.

I was thinking more along the lines of making it so you can't heal a Goliath, or what have you, faster than it can be damaged.

Nothing wrong with rewarding a coordinated team.

Comment

I think a cap isn't necessary, although I seem to remember it being there in UT2, back when we were debating and testing the link configurations, and their effects. (Remember the "Parallel or Serial" experiments?)

Anything that adds a benefit to teamwork is a good thing.

I remember a night of BR, where the opposing team had a three or four-man link chain, and they were hell to face. Just terrifying, seeing them cutting through all opposition, since my team didn't seems to want to cooperate to counter them. And when they tore through the entire team, the ball carrier would be running behind them, their only danger tripping over the charred remains. It was awesome to see the effect of just a few people cooperating.

I agree that even more dramatic effects would be welcome, although the color and sound changes in UT2 were nice (and menacing).

Comment

Working...
                              X