Mulitplayer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stephen_wq View Post
    I don't think you could support 4 player split screen, first off you'd be effectively deviding the 256mb of graphics memory to 64mb per player by my understanding, as you have to render 4 different areas on screen. Quality could obviously be dropped, since its a smaller area, but its still not very much memory.

Then since they said it'd do 30fps at 720p (so probably not 1080p), you'd only get 640x360 pixels of playing area, including gun and hud. Trying to aim on that, is going to be pretty **** hard. Then remember you're not sitting close to the screen, so it seems even smaller. And thats on an HDTV.
    Two player isn't bad because you can crop the top and bottom, and change the field of view a bit.
    4-player split screen is totally understandable that they may not include. But if they have already announced 2 player split co-op then the game should be able to play 2 player split online. Take away something to compensate for the additional handling of network packages.

Comment

It isn`t Unreal Championship. Its UT3 man ;d!

Comment

Maybe it's because I'm only half awake yet, but I noticed that the thread title is "Mulitplayer." Until I actually read some of the postings, I could not determine if the it was supposed to be multiplayer or mullet player. I'm glad it turned out to be the former, because I don't think I'd wanna see a bunch of mullet-haired dorks running around the map.

As for a 4-player split screen, that makes no sense at all. Why would anyone want to squeeze all that action onto a single TV screen is beyond me. Talk about trying to shoot dots on a screen... What is the problem with using multiple TVs? If you have neither the space available or funding to purchase, how is that the developers' problem?

Comment

Originally posted by Crotale View Post
          I'm glad it turned out to be the former, because I don't think I'd wanna see a bunch of mullet-haired dorks running around the map.

Funny. Although, I wouldn't be surprised to see some mullets on any female participants in 'the tournament'. Because, well, you know...

Comment

Originally posted by Fyrburn View Post
            Only if your first impulse when building a PC is to pick the most expensive components available.
            Well of course it is, get the best and make it last at least 3 years, or get teh cheapest hunk of junk which will last a week.

I have a 7800 2 years old but i can still get another year out of it most prob, but im not going to wait that long.

Comment

I am sorry but all of you who don't want 4 player split screen multiplayer must have no friends and live in their moms basement or something. One of the reasons i don't play resistance anymore is because of the lack of this feature, and it is one of the main reasons peope still play halo 2. This game needs that feature. People who have consols want to be able to play with their friends all at the same time. without this feature Lan parties would suck,People won't play it as long, and people would play games that they can play with the same time as their friends. If warhawk can do it this game can too. I my opinion this is one of the most important features a game can have.

Comment

/me bites his tongue

Comment

Just want to add (however little coherence it may have) that 4-screen-split on the game GoldenEye for Nintendo 64 is what made people love this feature and showed how fun it can be. Sure, you might get a little part of the screen to play on, but its still fun as hell. If I could live with that little screen on a 28" TV I sure can live with it on today's bigger LCD TVs.

Comment

GoldenEye is nowhere near the fast pace of a UT game, so you might want to keep that in mind. What might work for a slower paced game such as GE or Halo probably won't work for UT3.

Comment

As for a 4-player split screen, that makes no sense at all. Why would anyone want to squeeze all that action onto a single TV screen is beyond me. Talk about trying to shoot dots on a screen... What is the problem with using multiple TVs? If you have neither the space available or funding to purchase, how is that the developers' problem?
                      b/c its fun to invite people over and all of you get to play instead of taking turns.

Comment

Originally posted by bambam50 View Post
                        b/c its fun to invite people over and all of you get to play instead of taking turns.
                        Gee, and maybe Epic can make the PC version handle four players on a single machine and monitor too, huh?

Comment

Gee, and maybe Epic can make the PC version handle four players on a single machine and monitor too, huh?
                          Why not, if its possible. Most people have bigger TV-screens than PC-screens though.

And whats the use of "probably wont work". Based on what? I don't see the speed as a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Magwill View Post
                            Why not, if its possible. Most people have bigger TV-screens than PC-screens though.

And whats the use of "probably wont work". Based on what? I don't see the speed as a problem.
                            I would think player control would be the issue for multiple players on a PC.

I suppose if you could plug in 4 gamepads or what have you, but it's not something I would invest manpower on developing if it was up to me.

Comment

A PC is usually situated at a desk or similar furniture and meant for one person to operate and perhaps a couple more people to watch, split screen or even using more than one screen since it's no longer rare to have more than 1 monitor hooked up to your PC would be very doable, and multi inputs could be sorted, though more than one keyboard is hard to manage unless you use totally separate keys for everything, and 2 mice would most likely be plain impossible.

Using a gamepad in a FPS against someone with a keyboard + mouse would be horrible, one of the reasons why I'm skeptic about cross platform play, the PC players/PS3 players with keyboard+mouse would roam the map killing the Xbox360 players and PS3 players with gamepads, kinda like having half the people on the server being afk and thus the one that spawnkills the most idle people wins.

Even if all these issues can be overcome (and I'm not certain they can) 2 people playing a game on 1 PC isn't common anymore, it was fun doing it with hotseat in the old worms titles, but nowadays most PC gaming is meant either for you to be alone or in a LAN or similar environment, where each player has his own PC, the culture surrounding PC gaming isn't the same as with console gaming, with console gaming it's common to drop by a friends house and play multiplayer/co-op using splitscreen, PC gamers bring along a laptop (or full desktop if they lack a laptop or plan to stay over the weekend or similar, it's quite common for teenagers and a bit above to meet up at a buddies house all making their parents bring along the PC in the car, (or yourself for people my age and up) or uses a secondary machine at the location do accomplish the same thing.

Social console gaming: 2-4 blokes sitting in a sofa drinking (root) beer, social PC gaming: 2-32+ guys sitting at makeshift/permanent rows of desks with headphones drinking Coke/Jolt and cursing each other when one lands a headshot.

Comment

4 split screen?

I sure hope you aint sitting on fat TV and 25" screen.

Comment

Working...
                                X