Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

Field of vision

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Field of vision

I don't know or remember if any previous Unreal's did this but as a avid quake I was just curious as to the question of will you be implementing anything that allows for the change of Field of vision? I personally feel this adds another level of custom play but some probably think otherwise, so I thought I'd ask.

Are you reffering to DOF (Depth of Field)? Cause if so, I myself am curious about this. In some of the photos i've seen has DOF but I don't seem to notice this in the videos.

Comment

i've never heard of it being referred to as dop... always fov.

in all the PC unreal games out so far, you can change the fov by typing fov * into the console (like the cg_fov command for quake 3)

Comment

Ive never heard dof referred to as dop :P

Also, in the UT2 games you could change your fov in the in-game settings screen. I can't imagine they would remove that ability for UT3 considering so many currently players use fov's other than the default.

You could also set it in the ini files.

Comment

i always have my fov at 110 so i have to use the ini's. I dont see a reason though why they would take that out for UT3. So many people use it...

Comment

180° for me!

Comment

Lol WOW...180? how can you see clearly? i guess is safe to assume you have a key or two bound to reduce that for long range? I was playing when you replied and just tried it. I feel like my eyes are looking outwards. *shakes head*

Comment

the symbol after the 180 means degree's. so i doubt he meant he had it set at 180, just that he can see that much

Comment

Originally posted by plays_in_traffick View Post
                  Lol WOW...180? how can you see clearly? i guess is safe to assume you have a key or two bound to reduce that for long range? I was playing when you replied and just tried it. I feel like my eyes are looking outwards. *shakes head*
                  Obvious, he has a wiiiiiiiiiide screen.

And how he sees clear? Well...you know, if you cook your monitor* in boiling oil for some minutes (in a special sac to prevent leaks) and give the result to a decent blacksmith, he can bent the thing so it becomes pretty much half a circle rather than a flat image. Perfect for gaming...

...if it wasn't that online, you're capped between (IIRC) 80 and 110. :-\

*a flatscreen; CRT's tend to break up at the back if you stretch them too much.

Comment

Field Of View 110.

Comment

Originally posted by plays_in_traffick View Post
                      Lol WOW...180? how can you see clearly?
                      I'm guessing that was a joke seeing as FOV 180 is technically impossible.

Comment

Originally posted by Boksha View Post
                        FOV 180 is technically impossible.
                        On the contrary. i have a 180˚ view range. its called peripheral vision

Comment

I meant in a computer game, of course. Many prey animals can see more than 180 degrees around them.
                          (actually it might not be technically impossible, but as far as I know no engine supports it because they all rely on the exact same linear transformation to create depth)

Comment

Playing at FOV 107.5 here

Comment

Depth pf Field is the term for the fact that our focal range is limited, and so we can't see everything with equal clarity at all ranges. Our eyes adjust depth of field constantly, (until age lessens our ability to do so, and we need correction) and our brain "edit" information continually, so we don't even notice the effect. But depth of field can be seen in photographs, where certain objects are in sharp focus, while those closer or further away are steadily more blurred.

Implementing a Depth of Field effect would be excellent, though not any more accurate than a "lens flare", since our eyes edit and alter themselves to avoid "seeing" the effect, and it's only visible with cameras.

Still, having the character's weapon be out of focus would be pretty cool, since you're continually looking out beyond it. But the problem is that, as a player, it should shift back into focus when you actually do look at it, and the rest of the scene should shift out of focus. So whatever you look directly at would be in focus, and, if done correctly, you'd never directly see the blurring effect, so it'd probably not worth the effort and overhead.

Comment

Working...
                              X