Gaming Keyboard for UT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gaming Keyboard for UT

So I'm buying a new computer and I'm pretty shure what I want now but one thing remains to be chosen. The keyboard.
    Used an old IBM keyboard(since before Voodoo2 times) for ages and I really liked it with it's chunky LOUD keys but now it doesn't work properly anymore(beer+kb=not good).
    So I will have to buy a new one.

I've seen there are some keyboards out which targets gamers. What's so great about those? I've been looking at 2 different ones:

Revoltec FightBoard Advanced
    Razer Tarantula Keyboard

Are there any more keyboards I should be looking at?
    Anyone used any of these?

The Razer seems a bit expensive I think but if it's really much better I might go for that one.

What do you think and what do you use?

EDIT: Just forgot. I want macro keys and I want Multimediakeys.

Originally posted by BozoB View Post
    I've seen there are some keyboards out which targets gamers. ?
    I use one that has keys I can press. IMHO a lot of the keyboards targeted at gamers are just a cashcow to make average players feel special.

In the ind it comes down to your preferences.

Just try a few keyboards and choose the one you like best.

Two things that keyboard should feature:
    - Make sure the keys are responsive
    - Make sure you can press at least 4 keys at the same time

- A third thing I had forgotten the English term for (somebody else will post it soon)

Comment

Originally posted by fuegerstef View Post
      I use one that has keys I can press. IMHO a lot of the keyboards targeted at gamers are just a cashcow to make average players feel special.

In the ind it comes down to your preferences.

Just try a few keyboards and choose the one you like best.

Two things that keyboard should feature:
      - Make sure the keys are responsive
      - Make sure you can press at least 4 keys at the same time

- A third thing I had forgotten the English term for (somebody else will post it soon)

Ok, so I guess you think it's no purpose in spending 130$(the Razer) on a gaming keyboard then. Yea, I think I agree with you. But the the price for the Revoltec is 40$ and you et some macrokeyes that might be usefull(probably not in UT though).
      And I'll buy online as I'm ordering the rest of my stuff. Too lazy to go to a store and check it out IRL.

Comment

To avoid frustration the best advice is try to replace the keyboard you're already using with one that is the same. Fancy gaming keyboards are much less important than a decent mouse IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by Moloko View Post
          To avoid frustration the best advice is try to replace the keyboard you're already using with one that is the same. Fancy gaming keyboards are much less important than a decent mouse IMHO.
          I hear what you're saying(I will not like my new keyboard as much as my old one) and a decent mouse I allreay got but to replace my old IBM(I think it was delivered with a 386) wont be possible. So i need something! And I like the idea of having macros in other games so...

Comment

I need a new mouse, Logitech tho. as for keyboard i don't need cuss I'm on laptop

Comment

I have a Logitech G15 keyboard even with a lcd display - but i don't use both in shooters because it's faster to press the usual keys than find a key somewhere on the side of your keyboard and move your hand back to its normal position.
              But I often use the display for icq (a chat program like aim/msn/yahoo..) to quickly write to contacts without leaving the game.

I also find the media keys and the key that deactivates the windows-key practical - although i forget it most times

For me i think the money was worth it - but you won't have a real advantage in fast games..

Comment

I just took my keyboard (IBM) and took all the keys out, cleaned everything and sprayed with Silicon with Teflon (DuPont makes it). It is sooo quiet now, and works great.

A few things about the gaming keyboards that are nice (some of them)...they can register 5 keypresses simultaneously (although I have yet to personally hit 5 keys at the same time ) and they are backlit. The latter, I use a small USB red tube light that is mounted above the keyboard under the montior platform.

At any rate, I'd say if you have a little time, take apart your old friend and try to give it some new life. (Just make sure you know where all the keys go, as some keyboards have unique buttons, etc). Also, if you spray it don't spray the membrane as it can warp, just where the keys travel etc.

I personally would never use a keyboard with macros simply because I have no need for it. Plus if you ever get into Lan tourneys they often won't allow stuff like that. I have to second the motion to get a really good mouse.

Comment

Originally posted by <|StP|> View Post
                  But I often use the display for icq (a chat program like aim/msn/yahoo..) to quickly write to contacts without leaving the game.
                  Does that thing work with irc? I could see that being a fairly useful addition at any rate.

Comment

I have a Logitech g15 and I like it. I rarely use the LCD but tbh I like the clock. A quick glance and I can see that it's 2:00 AM and I better get to bed

I use the macro keys as well. There are several plugins available for the LCD (including IRC I think but there is some reason why I didn't install it that I can't remember right now).

http://www.g15forums.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16

Comment

Originally posted by EggSuckingLeech View Post
                      I have a Logitech g15 and I like it. I rarely use the LCD but tbh I like the clock. A quick glance and I can see that it's 2:00 AM and I better get to bed
                      Now that would be a useful feature for me

Comment

The G11 is the same as the G15 without the LCD, fyi

Comment

I might buy that mouse G15

Comment

Originally posted by [404]Cham3l3on View Post
                            I just took my keyboard (IBM) and took all the keys out, cleaned everything and sprayed with Silicon with Teflon (DuPont makes it). It is sooo quiet now, and works great.

A few things about the gaming keyboards that are nice (some of them)...they can register 5 keypresses simultaneously (although I have yet to personally hit 5 keys at the same time ) and they are backlit. The latter, I use a small USB red tube light that is mounted above the keyboard under the montior platform.

At any rate, I'd say if you have a little time, take apart your old friend and try to give it some new life. (Just make sure you know where all the keys go, as some keyboards have unique buttons, etc). Also, if you spray it don't spray the membrane as it can warp, just where the keys travel etc.

I personally would never use a keyboard with macros simply because I have no need for it. Plus if you ever get into Lan tourneys they often won't allow stuff like that. I have to second the motion to get a really good mouse.

Yea, maybe this is the best advice for me... If I come to think about I might not even need the macros as long as I can use my old keyboard.....
                            Ok, A new question then...
                            How do I remove lots and lots of dried in beer from the keyboard? Right now keys get stuck and some don't register the hit every time... Some guide I could find somewhere online?

Comment

As long as its responsive and plays/feels smooth, thats all ya need

Hell! here's mine!

Check it out!

haha

Kidding of course, I prefer an Eluminix

The keys are soft and quiet, and there backlit for the dark rooms so you can see what your doing if you need to.

Comment

Working...
                              X