Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

>There is demo playback in UT2004.

Comment

Up until earlier this year www.cached.net was a site you could go to in order to get countless demos from various games like UT/UT2/Q3A and watch them at your leisure. I don't know what's out there now, but it's quite possible you can still find a number of demos for UT2k4.

Comment

Originally posted by Rujman View Post
        Christ. How come it's so hard to incorporate something seemingly elementary like that?
        Elementary, like travelling backwards in time. That would do it.

It's not like a movie that's prerendered and is a simple sequence of frames that can be played in any order you wish. A demo records the actions of a player, not the coordinates of each vertex in the game every microsecond, that would be way too much information.

Consider: a player shoots a shock ball at time 0:00. It hits a wall at 0:10. Now you want to reverse this. How is the demo going to know about that shock ball and make it show up from 0:10 all the way to when it was shot at 0:00? Well it would have to look ahead 10 seconds to anticipate it. Disregarding any problems with that, what if you shot at a wall 20s travel time away? You don't know how much to look ahead.

Now, every one of your actions in the game produces some sort of effect that lasts a certain amount of time: dodging, jumping, shooting projectiles etc. None of these can be reversed, except perhaps hitscan shooting.

It's the way demos are made that makes them so small, roughly 3-6MB for a 10 minute match or thereabouts. If you recorded all the information needed to reverse everything, it might be 10 times that, or maybe 100, I don't know.

Comment

I think just a much better and faster DEMO 2 AVI is all that is needed, then you can rewind to your hearts con'tent.

Comment

Originally posted by DavenH View Post
            It's the way demos are made that makes them so small, roughly 3-6MB for a 10 minute match or thereabouts. If you recorded all the information needed to reverse everything, it might be 10 times that, or maybe 100, I don't know.
            If HL/HL2 based games can do it there's no reason it can't be done for UT, and yes you're right the filesizes in HL/HL2 games are about 10 times that of UT demos, but they do compress extremely well, so zipped they're not that much bigger

Comment

That will be good, if we can play demos from any part. I guess this is nоt as hard to implement, as rewind option.

Comment

Originally posted by [CALIBUR] View Post
                I wish there was demo playback on ut2k4
                There was

Originally posted by [CALIBUR] View Post
                watching ons game be like watching something on the news.
                good god.. what news channel are *you* watchin'?

Originally posted by ProjectUT View Post
                I think just a much better and faster DEMO 2 AVI is all that is needed, then you can rewind to your hearts con'tent.
                The difference between a UT demo and an avi file, tho, is that with a UT demo you can change angles or view from different players. Much better than a recorded movie.

Comment

Working...
                X