Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fast Weapon Switch default for UT3?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    I'm amazed on how efficiently people switch guns. One minute they're using the flak cannon and another minute they switch to a shock rifle for the shock combo. Especially in TAM, because you have limited ammo in all the guns and you have be efficient when trying to use up the ammunition.

    Comment


      #17
      Originally posted by da ghost View Post
      CS has slower weapon switching than UT2k4. don't tell people to "play some game or something" if you know what that other game is like.
      ..And that was exactly what he meant. ^^

      Personally I think the switch time in 2k4 was just fine.

      Comment


        #18
        i liked the weapon switching in UT2004, ive heard that 2003 had really fast switching but i never played that version. I hope UT3 has weapon switching at or around the same as UT2k4

        Comment


          #19
          I also don't like instant weapon switching when it comes to firing off things like Snipey, Shock, Snipey in a second. I just think that's stupid.

          Comment


            #20
            Originally posted by orchild View Post
            more diversity and more skill in handeling weapons in what situation you get in.
            As in you always start off with a lightning shot and then switch to shock? Wow, great diversity and a great way to use your link and biorifle skills.

            I'd like to see people fight each other with whatever weapon they have in their hands when they meet.

            Comment


              #21
              I fail to see how being limited to the gun that you happen to have in your hand when you enter into a fight adds ANY depth to the game.

              When you come around that corner, there are so many variables that effect whether you have the "right" gun: Range from enemy, the gun that the enemy has out, etc.... that in many cases having the "right" weapon out can just be random luck... Something that really sucks when in large quantities in UT.

              Although I personally liked the speed of 2k3, it was too quick and screwed the learning curve. I thought that 2k4 was the perfect balance between 2k3 and UT99...
              Even many of the really hard-core UT99'ers have acknowledged that the weapon switch speed in 99 is too slow, and detracts from the fast-paced action.

              I would like to see some weapon diversity while in combat... Keeps things from being 1-dimensional.
              If people are concerned about players always leading with the LG, then make it like the sniper in 2k4 (personally I think that this is really overblown... skilled players rarely lead with the LG all the time, as it definitely has negative consequences against someone who knows what they are doing).

              Comment


                #22
                I like the slower weapon switch of UT1. This encourages forethought and tactics, and makes me have to work for my pay when I need to switch weapons. Conversely, it pays off when I use range more effectively than my opponent.

                The faster the weapon switching, the less tactics play into the game, because players can instantly move from one playing mode to another, and forethought and preparation don't pay off because everyone is capable of responding evenly at all times. Even a mistake in responses, and choosing the wrong weapon isn't that big a deal, since the mistake can be undone nearly instantly. Not a good formula, in my book.

                I guess I'm just one of those people that like challenges. I like facing someone who has the upper hand, and working at a disadvantage. It makes the victories so much sweeter. For me, having every hindrance removed makes for a pretty dull experience.

                Comment


                  #23
                  Originally posted by Hedge-o-Matic View Post
                  .....
                  The faster the weapon switching, the less tactics play into the game, because players can instantly move from one playing mode to another, and forethought and preparation don't pay off because everyone is capable of responding evenly at all times. Even a mistake in responses, and choosing the wrong weapon isn't that big a deal, since the mistake can be undone nearly instantly. Not a good formula, in my book.
                  .....
                  That argument could legitimately be made for UT2k3... However, "instant" weapon switching does not exist in 2k4, and such mistakes in a fight definitely have consequences.

                  Comment


                    #24
                    They might even have positive consequences. In UT2004, you often see people switch to the LG at close range to get a more or less free LG shot inbetween the rockets and flak.

                    Comment


                      #25
                      Originally posted by Boksha View Post
                      They might even have positive consequences. In UT2004, you often see people switch to the LG at close range to get a more or less free LG shot inbetween the rockets and flak.
                      That's the point... Smart weapon switching *should* give you something of an advantage if done corectly and intelligently in a fight (with range changing constantly, etc...) ... BUT, unless you are playing against new players on a demo server, you don't just get "free" pops at your enemy with the LG in an up-close fight without taking a BIG chance. Flak tends to dominate those battles.

                      Comment


                        #26
                        Originally posted by BeerNut View Post
                        I fail to see how being limited to the gun that you happen to have in your hand when you enter into a fight adds ANY depth to the game.
                        The game is about choice and limitation. If every player always gets their preferred weapon at any time, you only see mirror matches; lightning versus lightning, shock versus shock, flak versus flak.

                        Comment


                          #27
                          Originally posted by Xyx View Post
                          The game is about choice and limitation. If every player always gets their preferred weapon at any time, you only see mirror matches; lightning versus lightning, shock versus shock, flak versus flak.
                          I think that it is a tad unrealistic to operate under the assumption that all players will have all weapons at all times (for stock gametypes, anyways). 99% of the time, you are already limited by your arsenal.

                          Sure, you will get same-weapon fights every once in a while, but that has been the case with every game in the UT series.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X