Fast Weapon Switch default for UT3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fast Weapon Switch default for UT3?

Yo all I was wondering whether UT3 comes with a default Fast Weapon Switch (FWS) like nowadays is being used in the UT1/UT99 DM/TDM/CTF communities..

TBH I personally would love it, since I think it adds speed + extra dimension to the game, brings more diversity and more skill in handeling weapons in what situation you get in.

Any facts around this one and oppinions?

There was a thread about this already and I would not want to see fast weapon switching, you could shoot a rocket, flak and shock in under 3 seconds. Take a weapon and stick with it!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Cuddles View Post
      There was a thread about this already and I would not want to see fast weapon switching, you could shoot a rocket, flak and shock in under 3 seconds. Take a weapon and stick with it!!!
      This is Unreal Tournament.... Go play CS or something. The weapon switch at default in UT2k4 was sweet to me, you could switch at a good enough speed. Near - Instant switching can be bad though.

Comment

Last time I remember UT99 didnt have fast weapon switching. (I whipe my *** with CS)

Comment

I certainly hope not. Being able to vary your guns in battle may seem nice at first, but it has some bad side effects too, most notably that it's no longer an important aspect of the game to have the right weapon selected beforehand; in fact, in UT2k4 it's advantageous to always start a fight out with the LG no matter what range you expect to encounter your opponent at because the LG is held back by it's slow firerate, which is unimportant with fast weapon switching. (i.e. one LG shot is better than one rocket, and if you only use it as your first attack, you don't lose any time because you don't have to wait for it to reload)
          Additionally, with fast weapon switching, you never have to use a weapon outside of it's optimal range because you can just switch to a better weapon.
          The worst thing about it though is that it makes it having multiple weapons really advantageous. In TDM, someone with both the LG and rocketlauncher will nearly always destroy someone with either one of those weapons, because he can always take the fight to a range where he's at an advantage.

I don't think it should take a long time to switch, but as it is you're actually better off switching all the time than sticking to one weapon.

Comment

I like it that way - though I never play TDM or the other "time the items" variants.

Comment

The only players I know of that prefer faster weapons switch are the Hammy types (Hammy, from the "Over the Hedge" movie). You know the ones, the guys who are perpetually doped up on Red Bull and Twinkies. UT2004's weapons switch was about perfect. UT2003 weapons switch was too fast. Too many times I saw players loading up rockets, firing them and then blasting their target with a LG blast literally on the rockets' blast. The trick was that during rocket loading, you could switch to LG. After the rockets launched, the LG came up. You can still do it in UT2004, but the switch is slower than 2003, making it less likely that the tactic would be as effective.

Comment

In UT2004, the switch is slightly delayed if you switch directly after firing. In particular where the LG is concerned (for some reason the delay is 25% of the reload time for the LG, while it's 50% for all other weapons) I think this delay isn't enough. I think it should especially be upped for the sniper rifle in UT3, to prevent a quick close range shot right before you switch to a real close range weapon.

Comment

Instant switch would be the best imo... but it would ofcourse be delayed if you just fired with the current weapon. (so we don't get ut2k3 style again..)

Comment

idd so, in ut99 you have I think it was the file UTDC that checks all the servers for cheaters etc. and in that they configured the speed of the switching of the weapons, normally it takes up to almost 1-2 seconds, its about half the time with the minor adjustment.

So its not instant, especially not if you just fired, but normally with ut99 for example with assault, the default time, is so slow imo.. and you have to be able to switch weapons obviously with assault faster then with TDM or DM, this is also reasonable because with assault you get the time to grab more weapons at once (at every map) because there is a time between the offence and defence their spawns and the objectives..

So actually it is common sense, all I am saying is that with the default ut99 speed it is incredibly slow and painstaking, instant switch wouldn't be good either but definatly needs to be faster then the default time and now with this modded version in TDM, DM and CTF it is quite nice and pleasant imo

Adds loads of depth to the game play and skill, anyone claiming otherwise obviously has never tried it out

Comment

Originally posted by orchild View Post
                      Adds loads of depth to the game play and skill, anyone claiming otherwise obviously has never tried it out
                      Har. Har.
                      If anything it removes depth.

Comment

Fast weapon switching is very annoying to me.

Comment

slower wepon switching will stop the classic pipswitch / fire macro's - eg you do the lg/switch shock / then switch to a close range wep. i definatly think ut4 got it right with wepon speed if anything even slightly slower would make people adapt to many situations with many wepon types but i can see why epic maybe wouldnt like this for game flow and quickness.

Comment

Originally posted by -Sephiroth- View Post
                            This is Unreal Tournament.... Go play CS or something.
                            CS has slower weapon switching than UT2k4. don't tell people to "play some game or something" if you know what that other game is like.

Comment

Originally posted by EddyVercetti View Post
                              Fast weapon switching is very annoying to me.
                              Yeah, I hate when some guy shoots the lightning gun and then immediately switches to another weapon, getting a shot off with the new weapon in less than a second. Although I heard the weapon switch is going to be in between ut99 and ut2k4. (thank god.)

Comment

Working...
                              X