How long do you think it will take before TAM is designed for UT3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Apathy View Post
    If I remember correctly, UE3 was actually built from the ground up on it's own.. Was never updated from any previous engine.
    Wrong, all Uengines are based on the previous version. Nothing is done from scratch. Why would they start something completely new when they already have an engine to start from?

Comment

Originally posted by Contra View Post
      Wrong, all Uengines are based on the previous version. Nothing is done from scratch. Why would they start something completely new when they already have an engine to start from?
      Wrong. Engines DO get rewritten from the ground up (not true in Epics case). I guess you probably never researched much about how horribly inefficient the doom 3 engine was? Why do you think John Carmack is building Rage? Were you at the tech demo at Quakecon to see the kinds of things the new engine is capable of? Not only are some engines unsuccessful, they never last forever. It's obvious that as the demand for higher quality graphics, physics, and special effects increases, new engines have to be created that can not only do all that, but do them efficiently, and also take advantage of better rendering technology at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by xi0s View Post
        Wrong. Engines DO get rewritten from the ground up (not true in Epics case).
        He was talking about UEngines.

But UEngine 3 is has much bigger differences comapred to UE2(.5) than UE2(.5) comapred to UE1.

Comment

He might have been thinking of the new unreal editor, thats certainly been a big rewrite, if not a full one from the ground up, to use WGL for cross-platform abilities (and no more white screens!).

Comment

TAM became popular because it became an alternative for all the players that lost their gamemode competitively due to inactivity etc.

I whored TAM for 6 months or so after the release, and that was simply enough for me. Teams started developing this camp to win tactic which became very boring. I think if they are going to make TAM for UT3, releasing it early will not do it any favours, everyone will be playing the many gamemodes that are better, as I said, TAM was just an alternative everyone seemed to move to for competition that was active.

Comment

Unless the arena mod is some version of TAM, I hope it's quick.

By the way, 3spn Freon is way better than TAM - if we could have one of the two I'd prefer it to be Freon!

Comment

Freon would look amazing utilizing DX10 shaders. A reworked dogtown level on the ut3 engine would be amazing. Especially while "impact hammering" the icies into the subway track. As for freon being better then TAM, its all a matter of opinion

Comment

Well, there have been considerations for a Freon-like Jailbreak version played on DM maps. I'd probably prefer The Real Thing (tm), tough.

Comment

I was always sort of baffled about the popularity of TAM. People are going around acting like it's something that hasn't been done a dozen times before, usually with a better twist than TAM gave (Rocket Arena and it's family line of mods, Elimination, and literally dozens of forgotten others). And Freon is just another Freezetag, basically. I'm not sure what "features" people are talking about that make TAM or Freon any better than their numerous predecessors.

I agree with the poster above, who said that TAM became popular simply because the other gametypes were drying up, and people wanted someplace to go. TAM won't be able to compete with a fresh UT.

Comment

Default gametypes > TAM

Comment

I think I heard someone say 3spn wasn't planning on making another TAM. It wasn't a 3spn employee though, so I don't know how reliable the info is. Plus, even if they're not planning to now doesn't mean they can't change their mind.

Anyhow, I really like playing TAM (it's all I CBA to play lately because it's less straining than TDM and more active than CTF) but it seems heavily geared towards hitscan players. For starters you start with loads of LG and shock ammo, then there's no powerups to force close range combat, after the last person on a team dies the other team becomes invincible (i.e. no draws where you kill each other; because hitscan is faster it always wins in those situations) saving adrenaline promotes defensive (i.e. long range) play and worst of all, hurting yourself with splash damage costs points and adrenaline, which is especially annoying if you have 100. (i.e. you can have 100 adrenaline, kill 3 of your 4 opponents, then accidentally take 1 point of self-damage which will then disallow you to use your adren)

I hope if a TAM mod is made for UT3, it won't feature adrenaline and have slightly reduce self-damage on splash weapons to promote close range use of splash weapons (as opposed to just spamming doorways from a distance)

Comment

In my opinion, TAM was just placeholder for gametypes that was unpopulrar for different reasons. I think it will start in UT3 as 'echo' and wont be populrar like its predecessor.
                          See UT' rocket arena: it isnt popular here, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Boksha View Post
                            I think I heard someone say 3spn wasn't planning on making another TAM.
                            I hope you are right.

Comment

Its funny how some of you are bashing tam for no reason. If you don't like a mode why hope it doesn't come out so others who like it can't play it?

Comment

Originally posted by WhinePatrol View Post
                                ... why hope it doesn't come out so others who like it can't play it?
                                Sounds a lot like the cross-platform debate.

Comment

Working...
                                X