Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RaT, any ETA on AMDs new Quad CPU? Seems to be very promising.

Comment

The Barcelona's are already in the hands of reviewers/testers and can be ordered (AFAIK). Their Phenom counterparts are supposed to be out in a couple months and probably at higher clock speeds than Barc's.

Comment

Rat - do you work for AMD?

Comment

I should be that lucky. If I did, I'd have a way better machine than wot I got now! (...for "R&D purposes only", doncha know... ) You know, something like 4x dual cores with a big-***** bATX Tyan server board or something, whack RAM, at least 2 vid cards, a stack o' HD's, and a Honda generator outside to run it. And I damned sure wouldn't be using this Intel rig, right? (unless it was for "comparison" purposes)

BTW - here's the 1st Barc I've seen on newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819105165

Comment

RaT your intel rig should run UT3 perfectly i bet *drools* aside from that i am seriously thinking about waiting for AMD Quad now @_@

Comment

yes yes I like his 2900 xt!!!! Ahhh and amds new 3 core cpus also look nice.

Comment

Originally posted by _DiGiTaL_ View Post
                RaT your intel rig should run UT3 perfectly i bet *drools* aside from that i am seriously thinking about waiting for AMD Quad now @_@
                FWIW, I played the Bioshock demo last week for the first time - no prob! All game settings up full blast and it looked & played great, even with "Force Global Lighting" ON & 1680x1050 res.

bobobo -

You can just keep yer stinkin meat hooks off my 2900!!

Comment

Originally posted by ADiTheMAN View Post
                  i was talkin about intel. can't find any benchmarks about AMD opteron 185 on the 939 socket :< ... and im not gonna buy a 210 euro cpu without knowing its good, will u? :> (also... opterons are more for servers.... :> )
                  Opterons are just higher quality chips designed for higher stress, higher continuous load, associated with a server. The 180 and 185 are dual core x64 chips clocked at 2.4 and 2.6 GHz respectively. Same performance as the dual core AMD x64 at the same frequency. The 185 seems to be over priced though. I just bought a 180 for $169 USD to upgrade my socket 939 board. The 180 looks to be the one to get for value, the 175 is only slightly less expensive and the 185 is like 40% more. The 180 was a drop in upgrade in my rig, . Very fast compared to the x64 sandy chip @2.67 Ghz that I was running in my game rig on everything except UT2004. But, UT2004 is a single thread program as all thre benchmarks show.

If you look at the AM2 platforms performance vs the 939 chips, it's not that much better. The AM2 was simply AMDs answere to the Intel Core 2 Duo and not a very impressive one. The Core 2 Duo was the answere to the AMD 939 chips. Intel had to get it out because they had nothing to compete with the 939 platform. According to the AMD website, they will release true quad core chips with DDR3 memory in the 2nd half of 2008. Intel will also no doubt have a new release as well. I will stick to the 939 platform until 2009 at least. Then I will see what is out there at that time. Why buy DDR2 memory when DDR3 is right around the corner. Both the Core 2 Duo and AM2 platforms may turn out to be very short lived platforms once the next generation chips are available.

Comment

honestly, I think that every modern cpu can handle UT3...doesn't matter if you go for a modern AMD or a modern Intel....both will do just fine I bet my old pent D system will be able to run UT3 fluently in 1280*1024 without eyecandy.

my €0.02 (which is more worth than 0.02$)

Comment

Originally posted by CounterZeus View Post
                      honestly, I think that every modern cpu can handle UT3...doesn't matter if you go for a modern AMD or a modern Intel....both will do just fine I bet my old pent D system will be able to run UT3 fluently in 1280*1024 without eyecandy.

my €0.02 (which is more worth than 0.02$)
                      QFT

oldkawman1:

Intel will also no doubt have a new release as well
                      Nehalem and its probably due around July/August next year. (based on Core2 & Penryn schedules)

A few details Here

Comment

Originally posted by rAt.8^].bAg View Post
                        FWIW, I played the Bioshock demo last week for the first time - no prob! All game settings up full blast and it looked & played great, even with "Force Global Lighting" ON & 1680x1050 res.
                        Actually "Force Global Lightning" increases framerates by purposely inducing inaccurate lightning. As you will find at the very bottom of this page: http://www.tweakguides.com/Bioshock_5.html I leave it off.

Comment

Originally posted by theeDEATHMASTER View Post
                          Actually "Force Global Lightning" increases framerates by purposely inducing inaccurate lightning. As you will find at the very bottom of this page: http://www.tweakguides.com/Bioshock_5.html I leave it off.
                          I thought it was the other way around. I'll turn it off.

Comment

Originally posted by rAt.8^].bAg View Post
                            I thought it was the other way around. I'll turn it off.
                            loL same !!!

Comment

Well I bought an AMD X2 4800 almost right when it came out around 2 years ago. I have 2 gigs corsair XMS ddr400 and 2 7900 gtx 512mb cards in SLI. Anyways Bioshock ran great at 1024 X 768. While I could've ran the game at a higher resolution I didn't want my frame rate to dip at all. So I have a 19 inch viewsonic vx922 2ms lcd which supports a max of 1280X1024 which is probably what my system will likely handle Unreal Tournament 3 at decent framerates.

So given that I'm sticking with my X2 4800. Theyre cheap now too as AMD is trying to compete with intel with its price since it cant offer a chip as fast as the best core 2s. Unless something better came out within the last few days. Could happen haha =D
                              enjoy UT guys!

Comment

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103780

That CPU looks nice i couldn't find anything better for AM2 tho

Comment

Working...
                                X