What should be shown on the radar map?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What should be shown on the radar map?

In order to help promote teamwork in team games, there needs to be some communication between players. Given the international nature of online play, sometimes text or voip chat can get annoying due to language barriers etc.

Having some information sent automatically to each player is useful, and one easy way to do that is have certain things show up on the radar map.

What should be there?

- unoccupied team vehicles
    - team OrbRunner or FlagCarrier
    - dropped or spawned team Orb or Flag
    - teammates.

Having more then that would just clutter the map up and it would be hard to see anything, and it would take away a lot of the fun in calculating the enemys next move. An option to turn off each info should also be there.

Comment

minimap like in ut2k4's vctf, weee!

Comment

Very valid poll. Much appreciated.

Comment

No info on the enemy, you should find that out yourself. I voted for:

Teammates and Team Orb-runner.
          As Mort says, useful for team tactics, covering the orb carrier etc.

I'd rather not have orb spawn/dropped or unoccupied allied vehicles, it would lead to everyone all going for one particular favourite vehicle/orb at once in a giant bundle. Happen apon a good vehicle or an orb? Lucky you - this way all players have a chance to get it not just the ones who are quickest to see the icon and teleport there.

Comment

I think simpler mini maps are easier to use, but if they are too simple they become pointless and take up screen space. Sometimes in UT2k4, I'll hear people go "flag! over there! someone get it! in the center!!!" and you know, with the game being so fast paced, it's really hard to focus on people yelling to where the flag is, who is shooting at you, who you're shooting, and how you are getting to where you are trying to go.

I think visual symbols are much easier to understand. Blue dots, red dots, flag/orb carrier(solid, moving), dropped flag/orb(static, flashing), unoccupied vehicles(squares? triangles?)

I don't even know if I use the minimap... I probably do naturally and dont notice that I do...

Naw what I mean? =P

Comment

team OrbRunner or FlagCarrier
              dropped or spawned team Orb (NO FLAG)
              and teammates, no vehicles, useless crowding.

Comment

- dropped or spawned team Orb or Flag

I say this w/o ever having used Warfare's minimap in-game, but, judging from 2k4's ons minimap, anything more would be too many bleeps, sweeps, and creeps. <--- Name my reference please.

Vital info only please. I like the idea of knowing where my resources and allies are, but I don't feel it would pan out in practice.

Fully customizbale minimaps would be noice though.

Comment

- unoccupied team vehicles
                  - teammates
                  - ocupied team vehicles (just like teammates but then different)

i don't wnat to be able to tp to a vehicle on the map.

verry good thread this ish, mort Q. nish id. (rubbish english on purposh)

Comment

it should only be team side things if anything shown.
                    If you add enemy things, your destorying the point of the game, and making it stupidly easy :/ also making for non exciting matches.

I voted for friendly vehicles used and non, also flag/orb carrier as thats always been a pain in the **** when you cant directly talk to someone, and ofc team mates.

anything else just destroys the gameplay imo

Comment

Yep, good thread

I voted for:

-unoccupied team vehicles (like the ONSplus mutator of ut2k4)
                      -team OrbRunner or FlagCarrier
                      -dropped or spawned team Orb or Flag

I dont think that see teammates in the minimap is good when you are playing, there would be too much informations on it, but maybe, to see them when you look at the map before respawn could be fine.

Comment

Enemy information, for obvious reasons I think, shouldn't appear on the radar. There is room to add some sort of gimmick to show enemy vehicles (or perhaps just the BIG ONES), like a deployable or something that would work for a given area, but that's a discussion for later.

Team information should not be overwhelming, else it ceases to be useful.

Available vehicles should show so you know where to spawn, or 'board to if you want one (I believe this is in already, at least on the deploy screen map).

Having your team Orb / Flag show up (dropped or carried) is going to make it a lot easier to support the OrbCarrier or FlagCarrier.

Individual teammates I would leave off just to avoid clutter, but I could go either way if it can be done well.

Originally posted by Molgan View Post
                        An option to turn off each info should also be there.
                        Server settings as well as individual settings I assume?

Comment

I voted for everything. I'd also suggest that enemies on foot should show up.

Enemies, whether in vehicles, on foot, carrying orbs or whatever, should only show up once someone has made visual contact by looking in their general direction. They should fade after a while unless they continue to make visual contact.

Basically, anything that you could hear over teamspeak should be indicated on the HUD. This would allow people to get by without teamspeak and frees up teamspeak from the clutter of mundane "enemy sighted" and "vehicle free" messages.

Originally posted by SL3V3N View Post
                          If you add enemy things, your destorying the point of the game, and making it stupidly easy :/ also making for non exciting matches.
                          Why? It's not as if revealing them on the map helps you defeat them. Especially not since they're also seeing you on the map.

The map isn't that precise. Ever use the A.S.S. Onslaught HUD mutator? It does almost exactly what the poll suggests. Brilliant work. You can configure the mutator to display enemies as well. Besides showing you where the action it, the only difference I've seen that make is that you don't have to bounce around as frantically when charging a node, just in case someone is trying to snipe you.

Comment

Originally posted by Xyx View Post
                            Enemies, whether in vehicles, on foot, carrying orbs or whatever, should only show up once someone has made visual contact by looking in their general direction. They should fade after a while unless they continue to make visual contact.
                            I like the idea, but I (not really knowing one way or the other) would be worried about how CPU/bandwidth/other intensive that would be.

Anyone actually know how this normally works?

[edit] Stealth vehicles should be excluded I guess [/edit]

Comment

Nothing concerning the enemy. Just teammates. It's unreal (sorry for the unfortunate choice of word here) to pick up enemies on your radar.

But let's assume the technology was invented to pick up enemy and friendly targets. It would seem logical to only be able to pick up someone of the same species. It would be awesome if this was implemented though haha Imagine all the androids being able to see each other. All the humans each other, etc ... seems nice. So, a team-based system where you can pick up everything your team is doing .. but also pick up enemies who are the same species as you.

Comment

Working...
                              X