Enhanced waypoints?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Enhanced waypoints?

I would like to suggest a game play feature that would enhance the team-based play in both coop and multiplayer, especially in objective-base types such as the newly introduced and somewhat sketchy “Warfare” game type. The simple concept of a player dropping a waypoint on a map can greatly facilitate players’ ability to work as a team.

For outdoor waypoints, something like a la “RS: Vegas” single player’s squad movement waypoint, which consists of a cylindrical beam of bright light a few meters across and high. But for coop and multiplayer purposes it would go much higher and have the gamertag of the player who drop it so it could be distinguished from player to player.

For indoor/enclosed area way points, something similar to what UT2k4 has now in terms of their waypoint shooting beams that are used for CTF and ONS game types, but with the addition of a gamertag info from the player who drop it. Note that this would also work for outdoor environments.

To eliminate visual HUD and map waypoint clutter, a player could quickly selected which player(s) would see their waypoints and the targeted player could possibly get a small HUD message to accept it, or by default have all accepted or ignored.

Obviously the idea would have to be flushed-out much more; but you get the point.

Many games have implemented some limited form of this, Perfect Dark: Zero comes to mind, but none has done the concept justice.

I know dev-wise, Epic is in the home-stretch. But with such a highly talented team and the fact that I am such a fan-boy of UT2k4, I am sure they could whip this out in no time at all

OUT

I'd rather not see my HUD cluttered with other people's waypoints at all. Instead, I'd like to see my teammates on the radar map, and whenever someone tells me something, I'd like to see them light up on the map and a little HUD icon (can be seen through fog and terrain) appear over them in the world.

Comment

I fear there would be large numbers of noobs running around creating a waypoint pile for their entertainment.

Comment

I think I'm missing the point.

Why would being able to put a waypoint on the map help?

Comment

Originally posted by Mort_Q View Post
          I think I'm missing the point.

Why would being able to put a waypoint on the map help?
          As I see it: Having waypoints helps in having waypoints.

Comment

Originally posted by fuegerstef View Post
            As I see it: Having waypoints helps in having waypoints.
            Wouldn't using your teams nodes as staging areas, or whatever, be more efficient?

Comment

As we can see in Red Orchestra, nobody listen to your waypoints marked on map.
              Radar (with limited range, though, and only in co-op) could be better.

Comment

Why co-op only?

What is shown on the map now anyway? Unmanned friendly vehicles? Your teams Orb?

Comment

Originally posted by Mort_Q View Post
                  Wouldn't using your teams nodes as staging areas, or whatever, be more efficient?
                  I was just joking.

Comment

Originally posted by fuegerstef View Post
                    I was just joking.
                    Yah, but was the OP?

Comment

Working...
                    X