Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mactel support

Hello,
    I read the sticky on sys. req's / release dates / platforms and was hoping someone from Epic could expand on the statement: "There will also be Linux and Mac support".

Since I'm the best UT2K4 Player on this planet , and I also use a mac, I'd hat for you to lose me.

O.K., if not that reason, I'm hoping the many Mac users who play UT2K4 are not an after thought. There's never been a better time to support the mac platform... and now that they are intel based, it's barely a logistical matter to support them!

Can any more info be released on this issue?

Thanks!
    Donovan

Originally posted by =Uff-da= View Post
    Hello,
    I read the sticky on sys. req's / release dates / platforms and was hoping someone from Epic could expand on the statement: "There will also be Linux and Mac support".

Since I'm the best UT2K4 Player on this planet , and I also use a mac, I'd hat for you to lose me.

O.K., if not that reason, I'm hoping the many Mac users who play UT2K4 are not an after thought. There's never been a better time to support the mac platform... and now that they are intel based, it's barely a logistical matter to support them!

Can any more info be released on this issue?

Thanks!
    Donovan
    it's still a major logistical matter.

a) not all Macs are Intel based... limiting themselves to just Intel based Macs would prove rather... confrontational with those that don't have the Intel based MACs.

b) MAC is also an OS that is different from Windows... in fact, it's hugely similar to Linux (since the MAC OS 10 should be based on Unix)... which would be why you would see both Linux and MAC versions at the same time. with that comes the differences in drivers and how to interact with the OS itself... unless you plan on "Boot Camp" (or "WINE" in Linux).

Comment

i dont think any mac would have enough power to run it anyway, unless ur a high end pro user

Comment

UT3 will be coming to the Mac. That means it will be a Universal Binary, so it can run on both Intel and PowerPC Macs. Intel Macs can run Windows via Bootcamp, in which case you would need the Windows version of UT3.

Originally posted by thesimo View Post
        i dont think any mac would have enough power to run it anyway, unless ur a high end pro user
        If that were the case, then most PCs wouldn't be able to run it either. You don't necessarily need a high-end machine to run UT3, only if you're looking for the best possible performance. The minimum specs for UT3 will be in line with many middle-of-the-road machines, for at least a decent game experience. So the iMacs and MacBooks might possibly run it ok. Not fantastic, but ok. I happen to have a Mac Pro, so it'll be good enough for me.

Comment

http://www.barefeats.com/imacal.html

mac pros will play it fine, so will some of the intel imacs. Newest imacs need optimized drivers is noted at the end of the article.

macs running windows via bootcamp:

http://www.barefeats.com/imacal3.html

Comment

Trying to avoid the Mac Vs. PC thing..

The talk about "being able to run UT3" is just plain and clearly wrong. You can buy all levels of performance from Apple. Their *imacs* are limited to certain specs but their boxes are not limited (relatively to the industry). You can slap down $12K on a machine from apple if you would like, and smoke 99.9% of the PC's out there.

But this is not the point. It is a given that performance is there on the mac. What I am more wanting is signs from Epic that the linux/Mac builds will not be half-***'d. There are some minor limitations in the UT2K4 build for Macs. I am hoping UT3 on Mac is just as robust as the other platforms. For UT2K3 and 2K4, there was a guy assigned to the Mac build... Can Epic give us a little insight on the team that will be assigned to the new Mac build?

As sleightofhand said, it will obviously be a universal binary (btw, all new macs that would be able to run UT3 *are* intel based). But, will we mac users have all the features of the window$ users? Will the many of us mac users be an after thought, or are we part of the equation?

C'mon Epic, throw us mac users a bone!

Donovan

Comment

Originally posted by SleightOfHand View Post
              UT3 will be coming to the Mac. That means it will be a Universal Binary, so it can run on both Intel and PowerPC Macs.
              Where is your source for this? (I'm not calling you out, I would just love to hear proof I'll be able to play it on my G5 which would make me even more excited for the game.)

The chatter I've seen hasn't confirmed Universal, just that it will be coming to the Mac and not use that god-awful Cider technology. They said that it will definitely be Intel with PPC support being an afterthought, maybe a patch (versus universal binary from the start). If I remember correctly it was Icculus saying this, and if they did do PPC support, it would be G5 only and most likely a patch.

Comment

Originally posted by =Uff-da=
                ooops, title should have read:

...trying to avoid the Mac vs. PC thing.
                Then edit it. hit Advanced.

Comment

well, since macs are soooo much better than PCs, i'm sure there will be no problem using a mac.

i kid, i kid

Comment

Originally posted by orion.sx View Post
                    Where is your source for this? (I'm not calling you out, I would just love to hear proof I'll be able to play it on my G5 which would make me even more excited for the game.)

The chatter I've seen hasn't confirmed Universal, just that it will be coming to the Mac and not use that god-awful Cider technology. They said that it will definitely be Intel with PPC support being an afterthought, maybe a patch (versus universal binary from the start). If I remember correctly it was Icculus saying this, and if they did do PPC support, it would be G5 only and most likely a patch.
                    My *assumption* of a Universal Binary, agreeing with slight..., is because it is what developers most often deliver these days. However, I suppose the adage about what "***-u-me" does applies.

I'd sure like to hear more from the powers that be on this.

Donovan

Comment

Working...
                    X