Have you seen this yet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by †TYRANICK†™ View Post

DX10 cards DO have there own physics processing, i asked people who know, and work with hardware.

Please tyranick, get your facts straight before shoveling up the anti-PPU BS.

Did you ever stop to consider that the "people who know, and work with hardware" that you claim has given you this info may have their own agenda to not see PhysX/PPU take off? Sometimes you have to learn to read between the lines to see what the REAL motivations are, and 98% of the time it is simply money/profits.

Whether UT3 will have 4 maps (or more) PhysX, I don't know. I don't work for Epic or Ageia. But to me it's worth the extra outlay because it will bring that added dimension to the game, and will perhaps encourage Epic to release further PhysX maps later.

Not to mention the several other games that are or will be PhysX-ready.

Why wouldn't we as (supposedly) hard-core gamers not want to take advantage of what seems to be a very desireable technology? Yes it will cost ya some jingle, but it's not hard to afford.

Comment

Alright already stop shouting at me lol.

I'm only quoting from what these tech guys said, and i've even referred to this thread for them.

Im just trying to clear up if DX10 cards and physX cards will work together to deliver the ultimate performance of this game.

EDIT
      Ok heres the latest:

It's referred to as Quantum Effects Technology on the Nvidia 8xxx series card.

" Meeting the industry?s demand for physics effects, the FV-N88XMAD2-OD and FV-N88SMBD2-OD come with NVIDIA Quantum Effects? technology?a groundbreaking shader processor that delivers high-definition smoke, fire, or explosion effects and perfect fluid movements of game elements such as hair, fur, and water. This technology simulates and renders physics effects directly on the GPU, allowing the CPU to concentrate on the game engine and save precious processor energy. NVIDIA Quantum Effects? technology does away with the need to purchase an additional physics processing card.
      "

http://www.planetx64.com/index.php?I...tent&task=view

ATI also has PP built in thier new cards.

" The CPU has historically handled physics processing. The HD 2900 series diverts physics processing to the GPU, using its stream processing and superscalar architecture. (ATI’s graphics drivers include physics processing support.) To use these features, the game itself has to have physics support, but most of today’s games do. "

http://www.computerpoweruser.com/edi...08%2F29c08.asp
      Pay close attention to the "key features"

Comment

Not meaning to shout. But some of what the so-called "tech guys" say you gotta take with a big chunk of salt.

I hope that those flat-earther's you mentioned will see this thread and come forth with their arguments. Those arguments should be based on empirical facts, not BS anti-hype.

Comment

Lol indeed.

All i really want is good performance out of this game, and not to miss out on anything due to getting the wrong thing.

Comment

Originally posted by rAt.8^].bAg View Post
            Bargain or not, that's the price and blowing it out of proportion doesn't help your argument any. As I've said elsewhere on these forums, $140. is not such a big deal when you have hundreds or thousands of $$ spent already on a PC.

No one complains when they have to use up a slot for a sound card, NIC, or RAID controller. Why beef about a card that will add another dimension to gameplay? Don't we want games to get better, or do you want to stay stuck with the same old technology?
            It’s hard enough to get PC users to purchase an upgraded video card solution for their Dell, $140 is a pretty big hunk of change to throw at a component that has such limited scope of use. My $200 price “guesstimate” was based on the last time I read a review of the card, not to blow anything out of proportion, regardless they’ll probably come down in price even more and not because user adoption rate goes up.

A few trinket levels bundled with a game as a “showcase” for what their card can do doesn’t cut it in my book, CPU technology will completely eclipse their PPU hardware solution, if it hasn’t already done so. Personally, I’d rather invest the money into a faster quad core processor or more memory before plunking down on a PPU card, something that’s useful for more than just a couple of games.

However, the cloud with the silver lining may come when Microsoft adds physics to DirectX which may result in hardware assisted PPU enabled video cards or even the hardware embedded into the motherboards themselves.

Not to go completely off topic and focus on other games but these videos pretty clearly shows that you don’t need a physx card to have amazing physics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLwh9S0jtak

did someone say Tornado?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_M6TiNfvwk

Comment

that ending headshot was pure oldschool really cool

Comment

Dangerdog -

Well, I just gotta disagree with you. A quad core isn't going to get you anywhere in games for the next year or so I'll wager, nor will more than 2GB RAM. Hell, there are hardly any games on the horizon that even use 2 cores yet.

Same for M$ and DirectX. How long has it taken them to get to DX10 already, and how long will it be before games are DX10 able and w/o bugs? There are only a few right now that have only just hit the shelves. M$ can't even do their newest OS right (Vista) for Christ sakes, and SP1 isn't due out until sometime Q1 '08. What makes you think they'll make PPU/physics a priority?

By the time any of that happens, we'll already be into the next gen, (or the one after that). However, PhysX is here now.

Comment

All i really want is good performance out of this game, and not to miss out on anything due to getting the wrong thing.
                  That's what we all want. But I've accepted the idea of getting a PPU when UT3 hits more than ruling it out.

Comment

Dude there are alot of games currently out that are utilising dual cores and 2 gigs of RAM for example LP and Bioshock and even things like HL2. The fact of the matter is its better of getting a dual core at least, as opposed to just a single.

As for ppu's im gonna wait and see what the 8xxx series shows.

But before i do ANYTHING, im going to wait until the demo and see how it plays from there.

And ur right about quad core atm. nothing will utilize it properly, depedent upon if UT3 or crysis can we will have to wait and see

Comment

i'm not a computer hardware wiz or anything, but will any of these cards work with macs?

Comment

Dude there are alot of games currently out that are utilising dual cores and 2 gigs of RAM for example LP and Bioshock and even things like HL2. The fact of the matter is its better of getting a dual core at least, as opposed to just a single.

The number of games that currently utilize 2 core are comparitively few, but it is starting to get better.

It's been like this for the past several years, that hardware outpaces software. I recently saw in interview with some Intel exec, where he was saying something about how they have 4 core and fast procs, but the vast majority of software needs to catch up with the speeds that are available.

Comment

God I hope "HEADSHOT" doesn't come up on top of the crosshair when the game ships.

Comment

Originally posted by Rujman View Post
                            God I hope "HEADSHOT" doesn't come up on top of the crosshair when the game ships.
                            Hasn't it always been that way clear back to the UT99 days? Why change it now?

Comment

Originally posted by iron12 View Post
                              Hasn't it always been that way clear back to the UT99 days? Why change it now?
                              No, the text usually comes a few inches above the crosshair so as to avoid obstructing the player's view.

Comment

Working...
                              X