No announcement yet.

Have you seen this yet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Models still look like a bunch of scurrying Teletubbies. I feel sad.

Comment

Originally posted by Demon Guardian View Post
      Models still look like a bunch of scurrying Teletubbies. I feel sad.
      Umm...what? Please elaborate on this claim.

Comment

The tornado effect didn’t impress me much, seems like you could do something like that with proper scripting and it would be just as convincing.

Breaking glass is cool but again not something you need a $200 card to pull off.

Walls and roofs could also be pre-scripted to have break points and would be just as cool, considering that you’ll not get total object destruction in an online scenario because it would generate way too much lag I’m completely unconvinced that the physx card will be remotely needed to play UT3 "like it should be played." I also don't like the look of thousands of chunks of rock appearing because you struck a wall with a rocket launcher, the standard explosion effect is just fine.

The extra gore for the headshot kill is in the game by default.

Originally posted by †TYRANICK†™ View Post
        Basically i want to know if we can expect this kind of level of physics on DX10 without the need for any added peripherals such as the physX cards
        You can expect that level of physics but not the particle count to be that high, if you want to see hundreds of chunks of rock flying back at you then you’ll need a physx card, it’ll only enhance some peripheral game effects that have no bearing on actual game play. Go google physx cards and GRAW to see examples of with and without the card in play.

Originally posted by DireWolf View Post
        Isnt it said that the 8800GTX has its own build in physics card so its gta be DX10 compatiable.

and this game just looks better and better.
        The 8800 GTX/GTS cards have no built in physics processor.

Comment

Originally posted by Dangerdog View Post
          The tornado effect didn’t impress me much, seems like you could do something like that with proper scripting and it would be just as convincing.

Breaking glass is cool but again not something you need a $200 card to pull off.

Walls and roofs could also be pre-scripted to have break points and would be just as cool, considering that you’ll not get total object destruction in an online scenario because it would generate way too much lag I’m completely unconvinced that the physx card will be remotely needed to play UT3 "like it should be played." I also don't like the look of thousands of chunks of rock appearing because you struck a wall with a rocket launcher, the standard explosion effect is just fine.

The extra gore for the headshot kill is in the game by default.

You can expect that level of physics but not the particle count to be that high, if you want to see hundreds of chunks of rock flying back at you then you’ll need a physx card, it’ll only enhance some peripheral game effects that have no bearing on actual game play. Go google physx cards and GRAW to see examples of with and without the card in play.

The 8800 GTX/GTS cards have no built in physics processor.
          Ah...thats lucky.

I'd like those effects in single palyer obviously, as for wall destruction and chunks of rock and panels on roofs etc, that would be cool to have in single palyer too.

HUH? I though DX10 cards handled there own seperate physics equations etc via its own physics processing...?

Comment

Umm...what? Please elaborate on this claim.
            Yeah I found that strange too, how old is this video? Cuz while I was watching it didn't look to great, it just looked fuzzy or blurry-ish as if it was in a testing mode or something. The other videos besides this one all look great, even the ones from Comic-con with the low res. look better than this one.

Comment

Originally posted by Dangerdog View Post

The PPU's are currently priced at $139.99 on newegg. Quit exaggerating.

Comment

What a bargin

Here’s another problem, most new motherboards have very few PCI slots and are sometimes in the most god-awful configuration, if you set your system up with SLI or Crossfire you might have one PCI slot free, maybe. Having a pci-e solution would help a little.

Comment

Bargain or not, that's the price and blowing it out of proportion doesn't help your argument any. As I've said elsewhere on these forums, $140. is not such a big deal when you have hundreds or thousands of $$ spent already on a PC.

No one complains when they have to use up a slot for a sound card, NIC, or RAID controller. Why beef about a card that will add another dimension to gameplay? Don't we want games to get better, or do you want to stay stuck with the same old technology?

Comment

Ok abit of news for you all.

DX10 cards DO have there own physics processing, i asked people who know, and work with hardware.

So getting a physX card if u have a dx10 card would be pointless, it would just sit idle.

And even so as it said epic didnt make the vid, but surely enough there is some degree of similarity in the final product, its really a choice between better graphics or more physics particles with the physX (which i thinks ridiculous any way if u cud probably bring up a command prompt and tweak em anyway) Because thats all the card really does, gives DX9 people (currently me) there own seperate physics processing, which ironically in the final product will probably different for DX10 and probably better. The tornado effect looked good, and lets get another look (it did say it was a MOD, So as DD said it could probably be scripted). that vid is more than likely in DX9 judging by the other details in the Vid.

So to some up, RAM, processor, (vista), And DX together done right should give u very decent performance over all, but lets wait for the demo first =P

Comment

DX10 cards DO have there own physics processing, i asked people who know, and work with hardware.

So getting a physX card if u have a dx10 card would be pointless, it would just sit idle.
                      so wrong,
                      there is no DX10 card with integrated physics processing in hardware out there, the "nVidia CUDA" stuff could make such things possible but none of the physics-engines today uses it for calculations.(havok-FX could be the first one. today havok-FX uses gfx-cards only for effect-physics(not gameplay) and is not limited to DX10 cards)

the physx-SDK from ageia have nothing to do with DX10, even a DX7 game could use physx-SDK/physx-hardware.

and remember, if a game uses the physx-SDK, calculations will be done in hardware by the physx-card if a physx-card is plugged in, if not, all calculation will be done in software by the CPU.

if the physx-SDK would use DX10 cards for calculation you could replace a physx-card with a DX10 card but that's not the case yet.(and maybe will never be)

Comment

Yea, no it won't.

Novodex is what UnrealEngine3 uses. Novodex is owned by Ageia. Novodex is a software physics rendering engine which can offload onto the PPU should it be present.

DX10 has nothing to do with Physics Processing. The confusion came from nVidia claiming the GeForce 8800 would have superior physics handling. Truth is, Havok3 was built and running even on the GeForce 7800. (Or even 6800 I believe, since all it requires is a PS3.0-spec'd shader pipe to eat.)

ATI even had their 3-card solution out there for a while... basically instead of locking down a shader pipe for physics... they were planning on getting you to install a 3rd graphics card... having 2 crossfired rendering cards and a 3rd card for physics. Yea, that disappeared quickly...

Suffices to say though, DX10 has nothing to do with it.

If someone *did* say that DX10 does physics... they lied to you o.o

Comment

So is it true that Epic has 4 maps that are designed specifically for the Ageia Physics Card? And would it really be worth it for just 4 maps?

Comment

Originally posted by iron12 View Post
                            So is it true that Epic has 4 maps that are designed specifically for the Ageia Physics Card?
                            Where did you hear that ?????????????????????

Comment

Originally posted by fuegerstef View Post
                              Originally posted by iron12 View Post
                              So is it true that Epic has 4 maps that are designed specifically for the Ageia Physics Card? And would it really be worth it for just 4 maps?
                              Rumours are yummy!

Comment

Originally posted by fuegerstef View Post
                                I was going through my UT stuff trying to find where I read that. I thought it was the Ageia site but I didn’t find it there. I’ll keep looking.

Comment

Working...
                                X