Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Originally posted by fuegerstef View Post
    Even when you put your right arm into it, a part of your arm would be missing:
    If you put -let's say- 30 cm of your arm into it with speed n and inside the cube everyhting is half as fast (n/2)... ...your arm inside the cube is 15 cm long although you put 30 cm into it.

Where are the missing 15 cm ?

What happens when you pull the arm out again and 15 cm are missing? Will the lower arm fall off...??

Now imagine that you move your arm up with speed n... ..and the part inside only follows with n/2

Of course this is just a simplified example... ...please note that I am too lazy to calculate how much of the arm is really missing.
    that depends on the molecular bonds (both within a molecule and the "adhesion/cohesion" between two molecules).

when i first mentioned being torn apart, i didn't really think about the bonds that keep our bodies in one piece.

if the bonds aren't weakened by the slowing of time, or rather the DIFFERENCE of the movement of time at the edge of the field... then at most, you'd feel like part of your body is moving through jello or similar to when you're trying to run in shallow water. the part that is submerged is moving slower while the rest of the body moves at "normal" speed.

if the bonds are affected only SLIGHTLY... then it's possible that as you try to push into or pull out of the field, the space between molecules would change slightly at the edge of the field. you'd become slightly compressed as you push into the field and slightly stretched as you pull out. and you'd "shear" slightly while moving along the edge.

as for the blood flow... what would happen is... the blood pushing towards the part that is in stasis would slow down like a blockage... the amount of slow down depends on the "intensity" of the field... the slower the time, the more the blood would also slow down. it would also increase the blood pressure around that area (the rest of the body would also increase, but not as much). and as it's leaving it would then seem like part of it was siphoned away (or like loss of blood) resulting in low blood pressure in the veins.

interestingly enough, if say the field was small enough to cover your elbow but not your body or hands... then blood pressure at the hands would be stable, just not moving very fast, since the veins (going back into the field from the hand) would be "backed up" and the arteries (after the field going to the hand) would have that "siphoned" effect... effectively balancing each other out.

the thing is... the arteries and veins are like branches... so blocking on branch would affect the rest slightly, but not completely. and the body would most likely be able to tolerate it by spreading the pressure around the body. unless you block the main branch (right next to the heart)... then your heart might explode. or if a field covered the artery going to the brain... then it'll starve. i'm no medic, so i don't know how slow it'll have to be before you pass out... or before you suffer damage... or when you become brain dead.

again, a lot of this is speculation, since we haven't been able to create a "time dilation" field which is what the UT3 stasis field is. man, i love sci-fi shows namely Stargate. time dilation was used in season 6 episode "Unnatural Selection", and season 10 episodes of "The Quest" and "Unending" which was the series finale. it was also used in it's "sister" show, Stargate Atlantis, in season 2 episode "Epiphany."

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Xyx View Post
    ...or n blood gets pumped into a part of your body that only accepts n/2.
    Remind me to NEVER enter that cube FORWARD.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    ...or n blood gets pumped into a part of your body that only accepts n/2.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Goobers View Post
    i thought about that (as long as the stasis field doesn't affect the bonds in your body at the edge of the field, in other words, you remain attached)... but unless your body from the neck down is in the field, or at the very least, the path from your heart to and from your brain... then you'll live even if the rest of your body would start feeling tingly. the field wouldn't speed up or slow down the blood flow unless that path (which is branched away from the limbs) is in the field.
    Even when you put your right arm into it, a part of your arm would be missing:
    If you put -let's say- 30 cm of your arm into it with speed n and inside the cube everyhting is half as fast (n/2)... ...your arm inside the cube is 15 cm long although you put 30 cm into it.

Where are the missing 15 cm ?

What happens when you pull the arm out again and 15 cm are missing? Will the lower arm fall off...??

Now imagine that you move your arm up with speed n... ..and the part inside only follows with n/2

Of course this is just a simplified example... ...please note that I am too lazy to calculate how much of the arm is really missing.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Heh, have you ever seen it happen?

Physics aside, imagine your brain getting either twice as much or half as much blood as it needs.
    i thought about that (as long as the stasis field doesn't affect the bonds in your body at the edge of the field, in other words, you remain attached)... but unless your body from the neck down is in the field, or at the very least, the path from your heart to and from your brain... then you'll live even if the rest of your body would start feeling tingly. the field wouldn't speed up or slow down the blood flow unless that path (which is branched away from the limbs) is in the field.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    that is assumption about OUR reality.
    Heh, have you ever seen it happen?

Physics aside, imagine your brain getting either twice as much or half as much blood as it needs.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by The Marauder View Post
    I was never suggesting anything of the sort, but just because entering a slow-volume in reality would rip you apart doesn't mean we shouldn't be able to do it in the game. If people held that view of everything in UT, then think of all the things in the game they would protest. This is UT, not CS. We can bounce off walls, launch tactical nukes on the run, and fire energy bursts that detonate in midair if shot again.
    Yeah, I know. I wasn't suggesting having you should killed when entering a slowcube or want realism... ...just wanted to warn you that you should usually bring your flame-proof suit here when saying "This is UNREAL Tournament" to back up your arguments.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by fuegerstef View Post
    We kept that in mind for years and still are of the opinion that just because it is called Unreal it doesn't mean we don't need a coherent Universe.
    I was never suggesting anything of the sort, but just because entering a slow-volume in reality would rip you apart doesn't mean we shouldn't be able to do it in the game. If people held that view of everything in UT, then think of all the things in the game they would protest. This is UT, not CS. We can bounce off walls, launch tactical nukes on the run, and fire energy bursts that detonate in midair if shot again.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by The Marauder View Post
    Keep in mind, this is UNREAL Tournament...
    We kept that in mind for years and still are of the opinion that just because it is called Unreal it doesn't mean we don't need a coherent Universe.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    That would kill anything touching the cube's sides.
    Overpowered... ...we need a mutator for our reality.

Not just quite an assumption. Wearing a huge belt with the mass of about Jupiter would save you from being killed though when partially entering the cube ( it would save you a few seconds, so you have enough time to get in).

Leave a comment:

• replied

which is why i continued to say... it's easier (for the game) to just make the whole object slow down the moment any part of it touches the field.

you picking at only that portion about my message would lead people to think i MEANT something different than what i post.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Keep in mind, this is UNREAL Tournament, folks. XD Anyway, I would be rather upset if all you had to do was clip the field in a vehicle to be slowed down. I think that at least 25% of the vehicle should be inside the field before it takes effect. This would make it slightly less cheesy and encourage better deployment tactics.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    if such a thing were possible in our reality... any object that is only partially in a stasis field would tear itself apart if it tried to move

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by MuLuNGuS View Post
    what about vehicles that are not complete inside the statsis-field, will they get slowed down?

or must the whole vehicle completely sorrounded by the stasis-field to be slowed down?

can we put spidermine holes inside the stasis field?

will the robotic arm of the nightshade slowed down if it touches the stasis-field?

questions over questions
    ®
    well, i would assume that if such a thing were possible in our reality... any object that is only partially in a stasis field would tear itself apart if it tried to move since the field would affect anything IN the field (in this case PART of an object)... the rest that is outside wouldn't be affected.

that being said... from a "reality" stand-point, vehicles can easily be programmed to move slowly so that it can withdrawl parts of itself from the field without ripping itself apart. "people" would have to concentrate of slowly pulling themselves away. from a game dev stand-point... it's easier just to say "if part of ANY object is in a field, the WHOLE object is affected... once the entire object is out of the field, it becomes unaffected." that means, most likely, you should slow down just touching the field.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Your opinion is noted.

I will do my best to abuse the Stasis Field (or whatever it's called) as much as possible during teh demo.

If it's as bad as you imagine, it'll get tweaked/fixed/changed.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X