Slow-mo cube?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Goobers View Post
    i thought about that (as long as the stasis field doesn't affect the bonds in your body at the edge of the field, in other words, you remain attached)... but unless your body from the neck down is in the field, or at the very least, the path from your heart to and from your brain... then you'll live even if the rest of your body would start feeling tingly. the field wouldn't speed up or slow down the blood flow unless that path (which is branched away from the limbs) is in the field.
    Even when you put your right arm into it, a part of your arm would be missing:
    If you put -let's say- 30 cm of your arm into it with speed n and inside the cube everyhting is half as fast (n/2)... ...your arm inside the cube is 15 cm long although you put 30 cm into it.

Where are the missing 15 cm ?

What happens when you pull the arm out again and 15 cm are missing? Will the lower arm fall off...??

Now imagine that you move your arm up with speed n... ..and the part inside only follows with n/2

Of course this is just a simplified example... ...please note that I am too lazy to calculate how much of the arm is really missing.

Comment

...or n blood gets pumped into a part of your body that only accepts n/2.

Comment

Originally posted by Xyx View Post
        ...or n blood gets pumped into a part of your body that only accepts n/2.
        Remind me to NEVER enter that cube FORWARD.

Comment

Originally posted by fuegerstef View Post
          Even when you put your right arm into it, a part of your arm would be missing:
          If you put -let's say- 30 cm of your arm into it with speed n and inside the cube everyhting is half as fast (n/2)... ...your arm inside the cube is 15 cm long although you put 30 cm into it.

Where are the missing 15 cm ?

What happens when you pull the arm out again and 15 cm are missing? Will the lower arm fall off...??

Now imagine that you move your arm up with speed n... ..and the part inside only follows with n/2

Of course this is just a simplified example... ...please note that I am too lazy to calculate how much of the arm is really missing.
          that depends on the molecular bonds (both within a molecule and the "adhesion/cohesion" between two molecules).

when i first mentioned being torn apart, i didn't really think about the bonds that keep our bodies in one piece.

if the bonds aren't weakened by the slowing of time, or rather the DIFFERENCE of the movement of time at the edge of the field... then at most, you'd feel like part of your body is moving through jello or similar to when you're trying to run in shallow water. the part that is submerged is moving slower while the rest of the body moves at "normal" speed.

if the bonds are affected only SLIGHTLY... then it's possible that as you try to push into or pull out of the field, the space between molecules would change slightly at the edge of the field. you'd become slightly compressed as you push into the field and slightly stretched as you pull out. and you'd "shear" slightly while moving along the edge.

as for the blood flow... what would happen is... the blood pushing towards the part that is in stasis would slow down like a blockage... the amount of slow down depends on the "intensity" of the field... the slower the time, the more the blood would also slow down. it would also increase the blood pressure around that area (the rest of the body would also increase, but not as much). and as it's leaving it would then seem like part of it was siphoned away (or like loss of blood) resulting in low blood pressure in the veins.

interestingly enough, if say the field was small enough to cover your elbow but not your body or hands... then blood pressure at the hands would be stable, just not moving very fast, since the veins (going back into the field from the hand) would be "backed up" and the arteries (after the field going to the hand) would have that "siphoned" effect... effectively balancing each other out.

the thing is... the arteries and veins are like branches... so blocking on branch would affect the rest slightly, but not completely. and the body would most likely be able to tolerate it by spreading the pressure around the body. unless you block the main branch (right next to the heart)... then your heart might explode. or if a field covered the artery going to the brain... then it'll starve. i'm no medic, so i don't know how slow it'll have to be before you pass out... or before you suffer damage... or when you become brain dead.

again, a lot of this is speculation, since we haven't been able to create a "time dilation" field which is what the UT3 stasis field is. man, i love sci-fi shows namely Stargate. time dilation was used in season 6 episode "Unnatural Selection", and season 10 episodes of "The Quest" and "Unending" which was the series finale. it was also used in it's "sister" show, Stargate Atlantis, in season 2 episode "Epiphany."

Comment

Working...
          X