Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buying PC for UT3

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Buying PC for UT3

    I'm going to buy a new PC for UT3.
    Can someone with knowledge please tell me if this will run UT3 flawless?

    Motherboard: XFX nForce 680i SLI, nForce-680i SLI, Socket-775, 2xGbLAN, DDR2, 2xPCI-Ex16
    Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz Socket LGA775, 8MB, BOXED
    Powersupply: Hiper 730W Black, 80mm Fan, ATX/EPS, 4xSATA, 4xPCI-E, 24pin
    RAM: Corsair QUAD2X 6400C5DHX DDR2 4096MB CL5 ,Kit w/four matched 1GB E.P.P DHX Dimm's
    GFX: XFX GeForce 8800Ultra 612M 768MB GDDR3, PCI-Express, 2xDVI/HDTV/HDCP, 384-bit
    HD: Western Digital Raptor 150GB SATA 16MB 10000RPM + Samsung SpinPoint T166 500GB SATA2 16MB 7200RPM
    Sound: Creative SB X-Fi Gamer, Bulk
    Screen: Samsung 22" LCD Syncmaster 226BW TCO99 Black, 1680x1050, 2ms, VGA/DVI, 1000:1

    -Will the screen be too big, buggy or will it look weird?
    -Are there any new and better gfx cards coming in the near future, or will this 1 do the job?
    -Is the RAM and Processor top notch?
    -Is the soundcard the best I can get?

    thanks.

    #2
    I'm thinking you should be fine

    Comment


      #3
      Well nobody right now can tell you for sure but that system looks pretty dam capable! Hehe, secretly I'm praying that it does run it well since I bough a very similar system like 2 days ago Here are some things you might find interesting though regarding your questions.

      First, the monitor is awesome (based on reviews) but I hear there are different versions such as A, C, S, or something like that and the quality of the image varies greatly so make sure you look into that. Size is personal preference so that's up to you

      Second, the Ultra is a beast! However word on the street is Nvidia is coming out with new cards in November. The thing is, the rumors about their specs are all over the place lately. Some say it'll be 2 to 3 times more powerful than Ultra while the more recent rumors say they will be midrange cards. Now you can choose to believe either one OR you can get an EVGA card for the 90 day step-up program. Read up on it Chances are though that the Ultra will be just fine for UT3 or Epic is in big trouble.

      Third, and this is in my opinion, you made a wise choice on the CPU Overclock the **** out of it and you're set for a while! Ram seems fine but I can't really help you there, don't know much about it. Although if you get 4 gigs make sure you get a 64 bit OS to use them or they are kind of a waste.

      Finally, I personally don't care much about sound so read up on that one or wait for someone else to answer.

      Yep....Hope I helped and I hope for both our sakes that a system like that lasts us a while and rapes UT3 in the framerate department.

      Comment


        #4
        I can't beleave how many ppl are going to buy a new PC just for UT3, it's not going to need a supa dupa computer to play it.

        As it was mentioned in a video release, Quad Core is an overkill for this game.
        Some much power going to waste on UT3 is a shame.

        Comment


          #5
          Well, if the only thing he will play is UT3 and once he is done he plans to throw out his PC then you're right. I love UT but there are other games that may require Quad that I am also looking forward to. Besides, the quad may not help very much in this game but it sure as hell won't hurt it either and at it's current price and new G0 stepping, you'd be a fool to buy a slightly faster Dual Core instead in my opinion.

          Comment


            #6


            Thanks a lot wunderbar. I'll look into it The screen did get very good reviews as I've seen also, tho I'm not sure wich type it is. If the GFX card can play UT3 flawless, I really dont care if they come out with a new one in november

            Btw its cool the trailer you made. If you want to see something I made for UT99, you can download it here:

            http://www.own-age.com/vids/mirrors....dlmirror=21777

            Comment


              #7
              If UT3 is gonna take that steep of requirements to run very well, then as someone else said...Epic is in trouble.

              I'm sure you can get by nicely on a Dual Core AMD or Intel with decent speed and 2GB RAM (maybe with a good o/c) and a "high-midrange" GPU like HD2900XT/512 or 8800GTS/640. Even if you had to turn down a couple of settings from the absolute "Highest", you prolly wouldn't notice a big quailty loss on the monitor, but your frame rate might do better.

              BTW - there is no way any new Nv or ATI GPU is going to be 2-3 times faster (200%-300%) than the top performer's that are here now. Don't believe the hype. Maybe 20, 30, 40% better IF we're lucky.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by ProjectUT View Post
                I can't beleave how many ppl are going to buy a new PC just for UT3, it's not going to need a supa dupa computer to play it.

                As it was mentioned in a video release, Quad Core is an overkill for this game.
                Some much power going to waste on UT3 is a shame.
                Well, I'm a graphic artist (amateur :P) and guitar/harmonica player. I like to experiment heavy graphic and audio softwares and I LOOOOVE to play UT games.

                I think that it is fair to use the game to measure wich kind of computer I need to have fun and, most important, to work and earn my daily bread.

                That's what I do. My actual (and too old) computer I bought having UT2k4 in mind, but it was perfect to work. Even now it is perfect to my graphic/audio job needs and, sadly, no use for UT3.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by rAt.8^].bAg View Post
                  If UT3 is gonna take that steep of requirements to run very well, then as someone else said...Epic is in trouble.

                  I'm sure you can get by nicely on a Dual Core AMD or Intel with decent speed and 2GB RAM (maybe with a good o/c) and a "high-midrange" GPU like HD2900XT/512 or 8800GTS/640. Even if you had to turn down a couple of settings from the absolute "Highest", you prolly wouldn't notice a big quailty loss on the monitor, but your frame rate might do better.

                  BTW - there is no way any new Nv or ATI GPU is going to be 2-3 times faster (200%-300%) than the top performer's that are here now. Don't believe the hype. Maybe 20, 30, 40% better IF we're lucky.
                  Nah. UT 3 can run on a current system it's just that to play at max settings you need alot of power.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    For the CPU I'd throw away the quad core and get a Core 2 Extreme Duo 2.93Ghz, and again like what others are saying, I'd wait around for the Nvidia G92 card coming in November. Other than that it looks like a really nice system.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by Dementia View Post
                      Nah. UT 3 can run on a current system it's just that to play at max settings you need alot of power.
                      I do agree. Who will play all the time at the "HOLY ****" high quality. Many players don't do it with 2k4 to get the highest framerates, including myself.

                      Total graphic quality is good for movie purposes

                      Comment


                        #12
                        I opted for a Core 2 Duo E6850 over the G0 Q6600. The main reason I did so is right now nothing gaming-wise is fully optimised for quad cores anyway (except maybe Crysis when it comes out, even Source is only gonna be dual core ready). If you're into encoding and regularly use Photoshop and other processor hungry applications your better off with a quad core in the long term. With a fast dual core I can enjoy UT3 and swap it out for a fast (and true) quad core at a cheaper price once the Penryn line is out. Also P35 boards will support Penryn anyway.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by semperphy View Post
                          Thanks a lot wunderbar. I'll look into it The screen did get very good reviews as I've seen also, tho I'm not sure wich type it is. If the GFX card can play UT3 flawless, I really dont care if they come out with a new one in november

                          Btw its cool the trailer you made. If you want to see something I made for UT99, you can download it here:

                          http://www.own-age.com/vids/mirrors....dlmirror=21777
                          Glad I could help, and thx for the video comment I'll check yours out as soon as I get home later today, gotta leave real soon. Good luck with your new PC man!

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Just get a C2D E6420/E6400 (got mine for £90) and overclock it like mad. (3ghz on default cooler )

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by ProjectUT View Post
                              I can't beleave how many ppl are going to buy a new PC just for UT3, it's not going to need a supa dupa computer to play it. As it was mentioned in a video release, Quad Core is an overkill for this game. Some much power going to waste on UT3 is a shame.
                              Well we're going to upgrade anyways. We just time it to a game we know we're going to play alot.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X