Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Regular footed hoverboard (left foot forward)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Regular footed hoverboard (left foot forward)

Hi, I have been watching a lot of videos lately of UT3 in action and a lot of them featured the hoverboard.

I found myself feeling uncomfortable because the players were riding goofy footed (right foot forwards) and to me it was kinda like watching the screen with someone using the guns left-handed.

I know in previous versions of UT you have been able to set the gun to be either right-handed, left-handed or central and I assume you'll be doing the same in UT3, but I was just wondering if there will be a setting for us to mirror the hoverboard animations so that you board left foot forward for us regular footers.

Sorry if this has already been addressed, i tried searching for it but couldnt find anything.

Thats actually a very good idea pboy. Never seen it discussed on here before.

Comment

I imagine this would have to be implemented in a different way if at all. It's not exactly the same thing - guns in 1st person view are merely a client-side "cosmetic detail". When you switch into third person mode, you're actually seeing your character as it looks to everyone else in the 'world'. Now imagine for a second that they implement this goofy foot feature the same way, and you get shot while riding. what is your back, would actually be your front when viewed by the enemy. This could create problems in synchronization of what appears to be happening to you, and what is actually happening.

So what would have to be done is that when you select goofy footedness, this information would have to be transmitted to the server so that whenever you're on your board, your orientation is to the left to ALL people, not just you. And therefore it's not just animations but information about your position as well. Otherwise it would be all screwed up tbh.

Comment

This is a very good idea, it is something that i would never have thought of. As far as this is conserned though. I bet it will be something overlooked because it is obviously something that isn't very important. I think what might happen is something where you can do a trick to get that done. Don't have any idea though.

Comment

Well in snowboarding there is a simple move where you lift up the nose of your board and do a quick 180 hop to go "switchstance". If they had something like this, then problem more or less solved.. but we don't know what tricks are there, it is probably just simple stuff like 360's, tailgrabs etc.. you'd think there would be a 180 also, but this is UT not Tony Hawk.. I'd rather they focus on important gameplay, but I can see where goofy footedness could be more intuitive to people who ride goofy in real life.

Comment

Yeah, I realised that your orientation would need to be sent to the server and broadcast so that all players viewed you riding goofy, and I realise that it probably has been overlooked/considered less important than most other concerns they have... but yeah, considering they are aware enough to put a left-handed option in I thought it would be worthwhile asking.

I'm new to these forums, is there much developer interest/feedback here? Or am I more likely to just find out when I buy the game? (Lol - just thinking about the day I finally get this game makes me giddy with excitement )

Comment

Originally posted by pboy View Post
              Hi, I have been watching a lot of videos lately of UT3 in action and a lot of them featured the hoverboard.

I found myself feeling uncomfortable because I board goofy footed (left foot forwards) and to me it was kinda like watching the screen with someone using the guns left-handed.

I know in previous versions of UT you have been able to set the gun to be either right-handed, left-handed or central and I assume you'll be doing the same in UT3, but I was just wondering if there will be a setting for us to mirror the hoverboard animations so that you board left foot forward for us goofy footers.

Sorry if this has already been addressed, i tried searching for it but couldnt find anything.

It is called "regular" foot if you ride with the left foot forward. "Goofy" foot is when your right foot is in front.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Footedness

http://snowboarding.about.com/librar...ldef_goofy.htm

http://www.ehow.com/how_2574_determi...lar-goofy.html

So, SURPRISE, you're not goofy footed.

Comment

ha I didn't even bother checking if he was correct.. :P shows how tired I am.

however, it doesn't change the validity of his point.

Comment

Omg Epic Fix It!!!!!!111

Comment

Haha... awesome! So... all the players in the vids so far are goofy? That's probably why it feels unintuitive, I just assumed they would be animated the "normal" way, and so since I'm the other way I assumed I must be the goofy one

Well now I feel even stronger about them including the option of switching footedness.

Cheers, capable heart.

Updated original post.

Comment

I think for allot of people it doesn't matter, and i think it wouldn't be necessary to program into the game.

Comment

doesnt make any difference to me lol as long as it still looks cool and it gets you there faster.

Comment

Oh noes the game is ruined

c'mon! Does it REALLY matter? Its not even a good idea being able to change foot because it really doesn't matter. I mean it's almost like saying "it's impossible to do that trick jump so change it". It's not real life guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Wulf Sternhammer View Post
                            Oh noes the game is ruined

c'mon! Does it REALLY matter? Its not even a good idea being able to change foot because it really doesn't matter. I mean it's almost like saying "it's impossible to do that trick jump so change it". It's not real life guys.
                            I don't remember anyone saying that it was a game breaking feature though.

Someone has merely mad an interesting observation about a cosmetic detail. And to be honest it's a valid point and is probably more interesting than a lot of threads on the forum.

Comment

In real life, balance is an issue and that is why people choose goofy or regular stances, because they are able to balance and navigate better in one orientation than the other. There are also people who can ride equally well both ways. So while it might not truly matter in a game, if one has a lot of experience snowboarding or skateboarding, it would feel natural for them at least to be able to ride the way they do in real life. It's not necessary but it's hard to deny it would add something to the whole hoverboard feature - not earth shattering, but nice. One of those "okay we've got the important stuff done, and there's time left!" kinda things. Assuming they get any extra time.

Comment

Working...
                              X