No announcement yet.

HDR or anti aliasing - the vote

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think it's a viable thread, asking if one would prefer one over the other. Also the point is for DX9 players they can either get one or the other, not both.

Comment

most of you saying you cant notice AA when turned on, try playing your favorite game with 4x or 8x (provided it ur card can handle it) for ONE month.. then try going back..guarentee you'll curse at them jaggies cuz they jump right out and distract you..suddenly trying to hit your target becomes a harder task when they come near alot of edges. AA smooths things out and provides more realistic shape to objects n does make it easier to play, just try it..you'll understand. HDR and the bloom effect IMO are garbage..like many have said theres just way to much highly contrasted colors and the images are way to over-exposed, like someones shining a flashlight in your face or something..no thx. AA over HDR plz.

Comment

Actually, higher levels of AA and AF (8x, 16x) tend to distort images rather than "provides more realistic shape to objects". I've seen "tunnel" video test patterns that show the center round area (against a background of a checkerboard pattern) being shaped more like a cloverleaf as more AA/AF is added.

Just because your GPU has the ability to do it, doesn't mean 'cranking up the settings' it's always the best way to go.

Comment

I have a DX10 card that can handle both at the same time, so I wouldn't know... but I'll say a few things:

+HDR improves the variety of colors at least 2-fold, bringing the world to life a lot more. There *is* a reason why those trees look so much greener than they used to.

-HDR can decrease gameplay in some spots due to the inability to see (glare effect). Also, if badly implemented, it results in terribly unrealistic and annoying glares on EVERYTHING. Every console game that has tried to use HDR has had this problem, and most PC games have it.

+Anti-aliasing gets rid of jaggies, which can negate good lighting effects to make them look bad.

-Anti-aliasing causes your image to be less sharp than normal, making it slightly harder to see. Also, not ALL edges are anti-aliased, and one or two jaggies really stands out when the entire scene is anti-aliased. Also, if you are using anti-aliasing and NOT HDR, your range of colors is much smaller, resulting in a dull and lifeless gameworld, and potentially indistinguishable player skins.

It's up to player preference, but when properly implemented HDR is almost always the clear winner in performance/quality. I like my leaves green, thanks.

Comment

HDR burns mah eyes.

Comment

Well games can control the intensity of HDR effects. It's best if developers use it but don't oversaturate the environment with it.

Comment

I like how they say its "impossible" to have AA in UE3. The fact that 72 hours after BioShock was released and the devs said its wasnt possible people had figured out a tweak that allowed it... in DX9.....

UE3 is not a poorly optimized engine, i have a 7800GTX and can run BioShock, MoH:ab adn such max (minus post processing details) @ 1280x1024 with 30+ fps ALL THE TIME. and you Radeon X1k series owners can do AA and HDR at the same time in DX9 btw. The X1k series cores are capable of multi-sampleing AA and HDR at the same time without any problems.

Comment

Originally posted by rAt.8^].bAg View Post
                  Actually, higher levels of AA and AF (8x, 16x) tend to distort images rather than "provides more realistic shape to objects". I've seen "tunnel" video test patterns that show the center round area (against a background of a checkerboard pattern) being shaped more like a cloverleaf as more AA/AF is added.

Just because your GPU has the ability to do it, doesn't mean 'cranking up the settings' it's always the best way to go.
                  The tunnel is used to test anisotropic filtering. The cloverleaf effect is due to a bad implementation of this, NOT anti aliasing.

Comment

This poll makes no sense as Antialiasing does nothing to lighting whereas HDR does.

Comment

That does not make sense, it's a question of preference given 2 options. Read it again carefully, it doesn't matter that they have nothing to do with each other (aside from performance consumption).

Comment

Originally posted by theeDEATHMASTER View Post
                        That does not make sense, it's a question of preference given 2 options. Read it again carefully, it doesn't matter that they have nothing to do with each other (aside from performance consumption).
                        Well then if that is the case then he should have added a third option called Anti aliasing and HDR and he should have not used the word jaggies in the first option.
                        [EDIT]Unless you are using more then 4xAA then HDR does a better job at smoothing the jaggies anyway.[/EDIT]

Comment

Originally posted by gargorias View Post
                          This poll makes no sense as Antialiasing does nothing to lighting whereas HDR does.
                          Originally posted by theeDEATHMASTER View Post
                          Originally posted by gargorias View Post
                          Well then if that is the case then he should have added a third option called Anti aliasing and HDR and he should have not used the word jaggies in the first option.
                          [EDIT]Unless you are using more then 4xAA then HDR does a better job at smoothing the jaggies anyway.[/EDIT]
                          this poll is primarily for people with older cards that CANNOT process HDR and AA at the same time... without hacking it, you can only have one or the other, not both.

so it makes more sense than you realize.

it's also the reason why this poll is invalid if you are going DX10 (ie DX10 hardware and Vista).

Comment

Originally posted by Goobers View Post
                            this poll is primarily for people with older cards that CANNOT process HDR and AA at the same time... without hacking it, you can only have one or the other, not both.

so it makes more sense than you realize.

it's also the reason why this poll is invalid if you are going DX10 (ie DX10 hardware and Vista).
                            And if you cannot process HDR and AA at the same time -- you will not be able to Antialias... reason of course being that HDR cannot be turned off...

But I see your point.

Comment

Working...
                            X