HDR or anti aliasing - the vote

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HDR or anti aliasing - the vote

Every UE3 game I've played has looked a lot worse than UE2 based games mainly because most UE3 games are too slow to play any higher than 1024 x 768 on my GF7800 thanks to HDR.

For us people with low spec cards UE3 really is like going back in time and playing doom 1. Most games are just unplayable as the jaggies make the graphics look really really bad.

Lets take a vote, I've heard UE3 will either let you have HDR or anti aliasing in DX9, not both.

So lets vote. I hope Epic read this topic and give us DX9 users the option to disable HDR and choose anti aliasing.

Hello Lee_Shagwell,

Anti Aliasing is really more important than HDR. I use 4,8,16 x SSAA. But you can have both under Direct3D 10 or OpenGL later. I think the Deffered Shaders are the problem. Generally all G80 Cards and all X1xxx Cards can use HSR and Anti Aliasing. I can no say why it is not possible under Unreal Tournament.

Comment

Will, if I had to choose between Anti-Aliasing and HDR?.. Anti-Aliasing of course. I could care less about HDR.

Comment

considering i have Vista and an 8800 GTS... i'll take both.

Comment

It's not HDR what makes AA unaviable. It's the deferred shadow engine, which doesn't allow to use AA on DX9.

But in both cases (shadows and HDR) AA is less important for me. I played Bioshock Demo and I didn't notice something like AA missing. Everybody has a different opinion, so some might say they need AA more than other eye-candy.

Comment

I don't think anti-aliasing belongs in a FPS game where accuracy counts, considering AA is interpolation.

Comment

If you notice AA you spend too much time standing still.
              I'll never understand someone who prefers AA over HDR. HDR impacts the entire image, it affects colour realism, stuff you really notice.
              AA affects... a few pixels on some edges?

Originally posted by da ghost View Post
              I don't think anti-aliasing belongs in a FPS game where accuracy counts, considering AA is interpolation.
              Heh. This thread needed a little humour.

Comment

Originally posted by Goobers View Post
                considering i have Vista and an 8800 GTS... i'll take both.
                .....at extremely low framerates

Comment

I hope UT3 has full AA, HDR and Directx 10 capabilities for people with high end computers (e.g. q6600-8800gtx-vista64). Forget deferred lightening or whatever that does lets get rid of the jaggies.

No AA for vista users with the UE3 engine -- bioshock and medal of honor airborne is horrendous.

Comment

When you play with HDR it look like you drunken or just dream.

Comment

Geez... another poll manipulated from their options :/

Comment

Although I wont have any problems running both AA and HDR I pick the "No HDR or AA but highest possible fps" option. Since the editor ain't working with AA enabled I'm used to playing without it.

Comment

HDR and AA.

Comment

Originally posted by ne_skaju View Post
                            When you play with HDR it look like you drunken or just dream.
                            Sounds like badly done HDR. Bloom should be kept to a minimum generally.

Comment

Originally posted by Boksha View Post
                              Sounds like badly done HDR. Bloom should be kept to a minimum generally.
                              both HDR and bloom (and coronas) should really be turned off for games where the difference of seeing or not seeing few pixels counts.

Comment

Working...
                              X